Vikings select Nick Muse TE, South Carolina at #227

SemperFeist

Odd choice to take Muse when TE is a massive need and they waited till the 7th to do it.  Would have rather got Austin Allen 6-8 TE from Nebraska, Lucas Krull of Pitt or Derrick Deese of San Jose State.  

Also Jalen Wydermyer sure ran a bad 40 but the dude had 16 TEs in three years at Texas A&M.  Almost 450+ yards receiving each year and that included his true freshman season.  Huge kid, big soft hands, can get open and sure is not some blazing deep threat but I would not have minded him as a developmental guy over Muse as well.  

Edited by Ozzy

50 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Odd choice to take Muse when TE is a massive need and they waited till the 7th to do it.  Would have rather got Austin Allen 6-8 TE from Nebraska, Lucas Krull of Pitt or Derrick Deese of San Jose State.  

Also Jalen Wydermyer sure ran a bad 40 but the dude had 16 TEs in three years at Texas A&M.  Almost 450+ yards receiving each year and that included his true freshman season.  Huge kid, big soft hands, can get open and sure is not some blazing deep threat but I would not have minded him as a developmental guy over Muse as well.  

This late in the draft, I'd say all these picks are just dart board picks who have some scout or coach who really liked something about a particular player and argued for that guy over another.

I agree with you about the production comparatively with Wydermyer, but given how many teams passed on that in favor of other guys who also had lesser production there is likely something NFL scouts and coaches were not fond of.

So many of the picks so far seem (to me) like the Vikings really had a scout or coach who really liked something about a player that they've decided to prioritize them over perhaps higher production/potential guys.

4 minutes ago, Ares Caesar said:

This late in the draft, I'd say all these picks are just dart board picks who have some scout or coach who really liked something about a particular player and argued for that guy over another.

I agree with you about the production comparatively with Wydermyer, but given how many teams passed on that in favor of other guys who also had lesser production there is likely something NFL scouts and coaches were not fond of.

So many of the picks so far seem (to me) like the Vikings really had a scout or coach who really liked something about a player that they've decided to prioritize them over perhaps higher production/potential guys.

Correct. How anyone gets excited or angry about these late picks boggles my mind.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Correct. How anyone gets excited or angry about these late picks boggles my mind.

Hard to get excited or angry when you know nothing about the player or the others available.  But sure to the random average person it is all worthless.  I have what is called an opinion, granted maybe it is a waste of time trying to formulate that opinion but I assume you do not know who Nick Muse is or who the other guys I mentioned are.  There is a difference.  

20 minutes ago, Ares Caesar said:

Sure and maybe they do not plan to play two TEs much and really think Irv Smith is the man but I question Irv Smith's ability long term to stay healthy.  Higbee has been a very productive TE for the Rams so it is not like the Vikings HC hates using TEs.  They also had Blanton who flashed despite not doing much in college and have Brycen Hopkins who has outstanding potential at TE.

Sure maybe they like Ellefson, Davidson and Mundt so much they did not really care about getting another dude till super late and that is what they did.  Still Irv Smith goes down it could be an issue.  

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Hard to get excited or angry when you know nothing about the player or the others available.  But sure to the random average person it is all worthless.  I have what is called an opinion, granted maybe it is a waste of time trying to formulate that opinion but I assume you do not know who Nick Muse is or who the other guys I mentioned are.  There is a difference.  

Sure and maybe they do not plan to play two TEs much and really think Irv Smith is the man but I question Irv Smith's ability long term to stay healthy.  Higbee has been a very productive TE for the Rams so it is not like the Vikings HC hates using TEs.  They also had Blanton who flashed despite not doing much in college and have Brycen Hopkins who has outstanding potential at TE.

Sure maybe they like Ellefson, Davidson and Mundt so much they did not really care about getting another dude till super late and that is what they did.  Still Irv Smith goes down it could be an issue.  

While I agree that Irv Smiths durability is a reasonable concern, I feel like we dont know several things that are important to this equation. A couple that stick out to me are;

1) What is KOC's plan for TEs? We're making a lot of assumptions based on the Rams offense, but thats assuming a lot considering McVay is the playcaller there and they might have just been making the best use of personnel they had available (especially given injuries). Until we see a couple years of KOC's offense to really find out how much he values TE, maybe its just not a position that he plans to utilize much and will go more 4WR sets.

2) KAMs value of the TE position as well. Given the obvious analytics angle I think we have to see over the next couple drafts and free agency periods how much Kwesi is willing to dedicate to that position as a whole as well. If Irv Smith isnt ultimately retained, and the team never seeks to highly draft a player at TE (or via FA) I think it will be a solid indicator that Kwesi doesnt value the position enough to justify high picks or high paid players at TE.

To be clear *I* like the TE position as a mismatch weapon, but I think it does require uniquely gifted athletes (size/speed) that can actually catch well along with being serviceable blockers in situations. So it is a position I personally would prioritize, but I also am aware that there are quite a few different approaches and mindsets in the NFL and mine isnt shared by all of them.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

As a Pitt fan, Krull was a massive disappointment.

15 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

As a Pitt fan, Krull was a massive disappointment.

The dude had his best season of his career, I noticed him at a Florida Spring game awhile back, never done anything since.  At least this year he was productive, I believe he played baseball for a little so was in an out of football.  I think he had a great year compared to doing little to nothing the years previous, and he has a great frame for the position.  But yeah was not amazing but good enough upside and size athletically as a pass catcher, 38 catches 451 yards and 6 TDs is not bad for one of the best passing offensive in college football last year.  

• Like 1

I found a video of all of Nick Muse's catches at South Carolina PRIOR to the 2021 season. Some thoughts

1. I really like his hands, he makes some difficult catches look easy

2. I like his run after catch ability. Not so much the top end speed, but the initial foot in ground and cut type of juke to avoid the first defender. The agility testing confirms this; he has quick feet. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I found a video of all of Nick Muse's catches at South Carolina PRIOR to the 2021 season. Some thoughts

1. I really like his hands, he makes some difficult catches look easy

2. I like his run after catch ability. Not so much the top end speed, but the initial foot in ground and cut type of juke to avoid the first defender. The agility testing confirms this; he has quick feet. 

Go to 4:55 to see some Viking on Viking crime.

2 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Imagine it will be a camp battle between him, Davidson, and Mundt for TE2?

I’d say a camp battle between him, Ellefson, and Davidson for TE3. 

It will likely take a massive effort from one of those three to unseat Mundt as TE2. 

Edited by SemperFeist

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d say a camp battle between him, Ellefson, and Davidson for TE3. 

It will likely take a massive effort from one of those three to unseat Mundt as TE2. 

I agree with this. I think they like Mundt, for some reason. They did give him a 2 year deal. If he is healthy, he probably has TE2 on lock down.

TE3 will depend on what they want more; a blocker or a receiver.

I'm really curious about Davidson. I mean, he was drafted on high end potential. We know coming from his level of competition it was going to be a huge step up for him. Clearly, he needed a year. But I wonder what type of leap, if any, we can see going into year 2.