🏈 Raiders select with pick #238: OL Thayer Munford

RaidersAreOne

Nice draft by the new staff. In my final mock I had the wrong picks, but between the main draft and alternates I ended up with two Raiders in Munford and Butler. Not bad given I did it before the draft just guys I thought might be available that I thought we might be interested in. Hard to hate on a draft where we lacked capital, but I actually kinda like what we got. Best of luck Raiders.

Edited by Trojan

Overview
Munford managed his bump inside to guard in 2021, but a move back to tackle is in his best interest. He is a limited athlete and scheme-dependent in the run game. Coaches will fret over his lack of body control and footwork but he has some upper-body pop to work with if a coach can get his hand placement corrected. On his 2020 tape, he is usually first in with his hands and has the ability to derail the rush when he closes the distance properly. His heavy feet prevent fluid change of direction or sustained mirroring so matchup-based struggles are likely. He's a below-average run blocker who can look unorthodox in pass protection, but he's long and understands how to use his length to make blocks. He'll eventually be a starting tackle with guard flexibility.
Strengths
  • Four-year starter.
  • Starting experience at left tackle and left guard.
  • Uses above-average length with some effectiveness.
  • Recovers to re-engage through heavy contact in run game.
  • Has potential to move his man on single blocks.
  • Well-timed outside hand in pass protection.
  • Maintains weight on inside leg as a pass-setting tackle.
  • Above-average upper-body power jostles opponents.
  • Big hands for quick clinches against unimaginative rushers.
  • Showed ability to stymie and redirect edge rushers in 2020.
Weaknesses
  • Waist-bending and leaning get him in trouble.
  • Fails to bring feet with him as run blocker.
  • Needs better pop and commitment for secure blocks.
  • Too slow laterally to make much difference as zone blocker.
  • Plodding and erratic on second-level adjustments.
  • Lateral slides and change of direction are labored.
  • Struggles with balance and recovery once beaten.
  • Sloppy footwork in pass sets lead to some ugly losses.
  • Needs better accuracy and quicker re-sets with his hands.

STRENGTHS: Wide-framed blocker with long arms and proportionate body thickness ... nice job swinging his hips to stay square to rushers ... throws his hands to tie up defenders and keep his blocks centered ... creates thud at contact when he lands his punch ... adequate core strength and plays stout ... flashes power in his hands to latch and drive defenders in the run game ... after 10 penalties in his first two years as a starter, he committed only two penalties over his final two seasons ... [131] senior captain and was awarded the Block “O” jersey in 2021 ... understands his pain tolerance and routinely played through injuries in college (Munford: “I can’t let my teammates down.”) ... finished his career with 54 games played and double digit starts at both left tackle and left guard.

WEAKNESSES: Inconsistent feet in his pass sets, struggling to mirror laterally ... blocks with stiffness in his legs and struggles to redirect vs. inside moves ... his footwork isn’t fast enough, allowing his base to narrow and leaving him hunched at the waist ... tends to play high and expose his chest ... he makes it too easy for defenders to get underneath him ... needs to recognize things quicker to give himself a head start ... inconsistent strike placement and consistency in all areas of his game ... battled numerous injuries over his career: suffered a back injury in 2018 that required offseason surgery (January 2019); missed one game as a senior because of a right ankle injury (September 2021).

SUMMARY: A four-year starter at Ohio State, Munford lined up at left guard in head coach Ryan Day’s zone-based offense. He anchored the left tackle position for three seasons before moving inside to guard as a senior captain, playing over 3,100 offensive snaps in his career and earning All-Big Ten honors four straight years. A wide-bodied player, Munford keeps his feet beneath him and works hard to stay between the ball and defenders. However, he is a heavy-legged waist-bender with inconsistent hand placement in the run game and as a pass blocker. Overall, Munford wins with size and length and has played a lot of football, but he struggles to stay balanced and his inconsistencies create opportunities for pass rushers. His experience at tackle and guard boost his chances of making the NFL as a backup.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Bugler had him 160 on his board.

I think that was the theme of this years draft, great value. Wasn’t sexy by any means But we got some quality guys at good spots. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Geezy said:

I think that was the theme of this years draft, great value. Wasn’t sexy by any means But we got some quality guys at good spots. 

Not a huge fan of the player but as you say, I can't fault the value in the 7th. An experienced starter at a big programme in the 7th is good value. Could be a valuable back up with versatility which would be a big win that late in the draft.