Who This Guy Would Have Drafted

DR43

Would you prefer This Guy's draft or the Steelers' draft?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer This Guy's draft or the Steelers' draft?

• This Guy's draft
    • Steelers' draft

"This guy" being me of course.  I certainly prefer to go with best available over need.

Round 1. Daxton Hill S, MICHIGAN 
Round 2. Nakobe Dean LB, GEORGIA
Round 3. Malik Willis QB, LIBERTY
Round 4. Darian Kinnard OL, UK
Round 6. Tariq Castro-Fields CB, PSU
Round 7a. Rasheed Walker OL PSU
Round 7b. Justyn Ross WR CLEMSON

Not too shabby if you ask me.  

Impractical, but fun

1.-- Jermaine Johnson OLB* or Devin Lloyd LB (*coughs players that were traded up for)

2.-- George Pickens WR

3.-- DeMarvin Leal DE

4.-- Jamaree Salyer G*

6.-- Conor Heyward FB (think Carey Davis)

7.-- Mark Robinson LB

7.-- Chris Oladokun QB

I'm fine with many of these selections given the 'theme' and how you start affects everything... It's vanilla enough where I could be more logical with a few selections

I disagree in the philosophy of this churn and burn at the WR position. Even if you wanna go - clowns are going for 1sts. They're getting paid through the roof. I simply ignore this and control the game the way it was meant to be controlled.

The secondary is in shambles. Whether you admit or not with these quilted slacks just waiting to become Swiss cheese even by someone as simple as Oladokun.

If you wanna go Pickens, which is a fine selection, in retrospect, myself overruled, from an ability to be AJ (Green), then these would be my alterations.

Sticking with the theme of quilted slacks.. think of that patchwork. There's no way that's not coming undone

I wanted Davis once he was gone which was presumed would happen unless they traded up, Pickett was really the only player that separated as far as over all value to the team to make a pick at 20 in my eyes. If not for taking Pickett at the position I would not have wanted any of the other qbs at 20 and no position player stood out among the others for me , I liked Kaiir Elam perhaps but I didnt feel it would help the team as much as Pickett could. So I was good with Pickett there at 20 and it happened. 

Round 2 I was hoping for Brisker or Pickens. Brisker was my first choice and when Chicago took him I gasped.  So I turned to hope that they would grab Pickens and many fans of all teams at the draft were hoping for Pickens to be their teams choice as well. Pickens was a great fit and great pick. 

Round 3 I was hoping for a LB and probably wouldve strongly considered Leo Chenal but totally wouldve taken Marcus Jones the CB/KR- Houston (he was easily the highest rated player on my board) that New England took the very next pick after us. I am not very high on Leal at all. Many draftniks promoted him as a top prospect leading up to the draft etc. My main concern is I dont feel he is very stout and can be washed out quite easily 1 on 1 . Most of his wins are in situations where he is unblocked or he is the second or third guy to the ball. 

Round 4 I didnt really know who I wouldve taken here and didnt want to get my hopes too high. I probably wouldnt have taken Austin personally although I did have a friend who was calling for him here. I like what we hope he brings as the team desparately needs speed and explosiveness. My concern is him getting off press, he needs to work on it and coaches and Canada really need to scheme to get him off those defenders for this to be successful. I really hope it is. I did like Damarion Williams the corner taken a few picks later but I dont think I wouldve valued him that early maybe more so at the beginning of the 6th. I did like Khalil Shakir - WR Boise State or wouldve looked at one of the small school corners / DBs in Zyon McCollum or perhaps Tycen Anderson. 

Round 6 I did value Connor Heyward around this point into the early 7th. I did figure that if we let him stay on the board that New England of all teams wouldve grabbed him. Im pretty sure we all would have had a very nauseous feeling if that happened. So I am very good with the pick. I might have stretched it out til the 4th pick in the 7th round. No one taken at the end of the 6th turned me on. I do know the Steelers had interest in Castro-Fields but I was not a big fan. Bo Melton was a project I was intrigued by in the vision of Deebo Samuel type potential and based on where he was taken the next pick wouldve been perfect. 

Round 7 #4 I think they couldve gotten Robinson as a UDFA but I do see the movement ability. I also see a lack of instincts. It will be seem a difficult task for him to make the field as a LB this year, but would definitely contribute on Special teams. He will likely be practice squad. Bo Melton was taken a few picks later , he wouldve been my pick. 

Round 7 #20. I knew they like Oladukon and figured they would definitely bring him in as UDFA. They wanted him and they got him. I wouldve strongly considered Jesse Luketa or my guy Blaise Andries. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

20 hours ago, DR43 said:

"This guy" being me of course.  I certainly prefer to go with best available over need.

Round 1. Daxton Hill S, MICHIGAN 
Round 2. Nakobe Dean LB, GEORGIA
Round 3. Malik Willis QB, LIBERTY
Round 4. Darian Kinnard OL, UK
Round 6. Tariq Castro-Fields CB, PSU
Round 7a. Rasheed Walker OL PSU
Round 7b. Justyn Ross WR CLEMSON

Not too shabby if you ask me.  

I felt the Steelers needed to draft two WRs, so I was happy about that. I would not have taken QB in the first, but obviously the Steelers disagreed. I really hoped they would get a safety, but not Hill. 

Wouldve traded down, and I feel like with as many trades as there were and as many teams that moved up, that option was on the board.   Unfortunately, Colbert is an out of touch, overrated clown who would rather reach on players.      I respect what Colbert once meant to us, but much like Roethlisberger, he is well past his prime and his best days are clearly behind him.

But, lets just say there is no trade down worth taking available, so...

1) S Lewis Cine or CB Andrew Booth Jr
2) WR Pickens or NT Travis Jones (I am fine with Pickens)
3) QB Malik Willis, DE Zachary Carter or WR Jalen Tolbert (Depending what happened round 2)
4) WR Calvin Austin or CB Zyon McCollum (I like Austin for our offense.   Depends what happened in previous rounds)
6) CB Tariq Castro Fields (too good of a value to pass here)
7) RB Zaquandre Wright  (need a backup to watch Tomlin run Najee into the ground)
7) QB Carson Strong or an LB that doesnt look like every other LB we drafted late in previous years   (Strong, at the very least IMO, would be a higher upside version of Mason Rudolph, and in the late 7th, Ill take it)

Was this a "worst case scenario" draft?   No.    It just feels like another very meh Colbert draft.    I think the WRs will offer value and production, but I feel like the rest is gonna be very underwhelming.   

Bye Kevin.

I am stunned that Cameron Thomas was available in the 3rd and they did not take him.  Talk about a player that fits the mold for what they look for in a Dline.  Thomas has a much higher floor than Leal and, I would argue, the same or better ceiling.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I am stunned that Cameron Thomas was available in the 3rd and they did not take him.  Talk about a player that fits the mold for what they look for in a Dline.  Thomas has a much higher floor than Leal and, I would argue, the same or better ceiling.

I feel like they thought they were getting another Heyward in Loudermilk, and got a discount Alualu.  So they are trying again.  I feel like they've been forcing trying to find DL these last 3-4 years.

28 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I feel like they thought they were getting another Heyward in Loudermilk, and got a discount Alualu.  So they are trying again.  I feel like they've been forcing trying to find DL these last 3-4 years.

How can we know what Loudermilk is after one year? Heyward didn't play a lot his first year either. I'm not saying the Milk Man will be Heyward, just saying it's too early to tell. Also, a discount Alualu isn't the worst thing in the world. 

18 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

How can we know what Loudermilk is after one year? Heyward didn't play a lot his first year either. I'm not saying the Milk Man will be Heyward, just saying it's too early to tell. Also, a discount Alualu isn't the worst thing in the world. 

He played enough to see that he's got a good anchor, but his burst and speed off the line at the NFL level is not enough to be the pass rusher that Heyward is.  I think the best case for Loudermilk is an Aaron Smith like hold the blockers type DE.

32 minutes ago, warfelg said:

He played enough to see that he's got a good anchor, but his burst and speed off the line at the NFL level is not enough to be the pass rusher that Heyward is.  I think the best case for Loudermilk is an Aaron Smith like hold the blockers type DE.

I'd take another Aaron Smith in a heartbeat 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I would too, but absolute best case scenario.  I think likely he's JAG.

I agree. He was a mid round pick. I'm not expecting him to be anything super special. I think he's got a decent chance to be a solid starter, though. We generally do a good job developing D-line. 

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I agree. He was a mid round pick. I'm not expecting him to be anything super special. I think he's got a decent chance to be a solid starter, though. We generally do a good job developing D-line. 

Outside of Heyward and Tuitt who's really developed?

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Outside of Heyward and Tuitt who's really developed?

We've not really had a major need in D-line with as talented as our starters have been. I was mainly talking about the last 25 years or so. Kimo, Eason, Keisel, Javon Hargrave, Mclendon, those are just off the top of my head guys that weren't really that highly thought of that we developed into decent players. I think even looking at how Heyward has grown too is, to an extent, a showcase of our talent development. It's not like Cam was a generational prospect. Even maybe Alualu a bit. He was widely seen as a bust in Jax. Tyson's case isn't as strong. He just got into a much better situation. 

Well look at the more recent history.  

Buggs - Eh didn't really develop.

Hargrave - I think he was more overlooked than developed.

Tuitt - Developed somewhat but overlooked due to injury.

McCullers - BFN

Ta'amu - Nothing

Heyward - Developed

Hood - Bust

That's not to mention all of these guys that were basically nothing:

Ryan McBean, Ra'Shon Harris, Doug Worthington, Nick Williams, LeTerrius Walton, Joshua Frazier, Sutton Smith, Carlos Davis.

I think Alualu hasn't developed, he's just played the same role he's done for a while.  Ricardo Matthews and Jason Jones were FA's that were brought in.  

Basically overall, I think the "we develop guys" thing is getting quite overrated.