Overall draft impressions

LETSGOBROWNIES

1. The FO is clearly looking to ‘23 with a lot of these picks.

2. Positional value is a big thing for this FO.

3. DT is going to be figured out with mid round picks every year.  They’re just not going to invest high picks or huge money in the position.

4. They’re gonna keep bringing in talented corners.

5. They really seem to value movement skills above everything else on the OL, which makes sense with the scheme.

6. By not drafting a TE and bringing in Ford/2 receivers, I wonder if they’re looking to move away from so many 3 TE formations?  Perhaps Stanton is the FB and doubles as an H back and 4th TE?

7. I like the size of the ends.  Can never have enough 6’5, 270 pound edge guys imo.

8.  I like that they’ve continued to build/maintain positions of strength and are committing to an identity.

9. I like a lot of mid round picks, even if everyone else doesn’t lol 

• Like 3

I think Winfrey and maybe Ford have average or above abilities at the next level. Wright is boom or bust. Pretty underwhelmed otherwise. Think we did very little with our assets. My initial impression is we added a handful of mediocre players. And likely no pro bowl potential. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

To put a grade on it, C- or a C maybe? A lot of teams ran laps around us this weekend. Just my opinion. 

The Browns trading their 2nd round pick for additional 3rd rounders only to use their top pick on a rotational CB4 was something.

They redeemed themselves in the middle rounds with Bell/Winfrey/Ford and then again, made head scratchers later in the draft. 

Not a single LB drafted? Really?......Reeaaallllllly? You took your CB4 over Chad Muma? 

200.gif

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

C-  kicker and Winfrey saved it 

It’s how I feel.

I believe Winfrey has stud potential and he should have been drafted in round 2. He will start for us.

Cade York could be as good as Tucker and McPherson.

As far as my personal opinion of the draft overall? It is boring but necessary.

With the high end talent and associated contacts we have we’re going to need to learn to develop talent from mid/late round picks to be competent role players and starters if we want to have sustained success.  This isn’t the type of draft and planning that’s gonna wow pundits or blow the casual fan’s skirt up, but it’s what good teams do.

Of the individual picks:

Emerson: I like the idea a long, experienced outside corner. Greedy and Green are gone most likely after this year Hill just got traded.  Guys get hurt. This pick will help this year, but much more next year.

Wright: Not gonna pretend I watch UAB play, but I like the H/W/S, etc. and looks the part of a guy who could develop into a solid end.  Should be our 4th end this season.

Bell:  I think he could very likely be our slot guy and play a similar role to what Jarvis did.  Not a sexy pick, but there’s a role for guys like him and we don’t really have a slot guy other than him.

Winfrey: Good pick, may start but at a minimum will add some juice inside on passing downs.  Good value pick.

York: We haven’t had consistency at kicker in a long time.  If he’s as good as advertises, he’s gonna fill a hole for a long time.  Another pick that’s not sexy, but if he’s good will be well worth the investment.

Ford: Good player imo. As it stands now he doesn’t have a clear path to carries, but guys get hurt.  Additionally, he’s likely our backup next year and I love the idea of him having a year under his belt before we start relying on him.

Woods: He was good enough to play for Oklahoma and Arkansas and contribute both places.  At a minimum he adds some competition to a room that needs anything it can get. Perhaps a PS guy.

Thomas: Supposedly a high energy player/great motor with prototypical size.  Not bad for R7, may compete for a PS spot and snaps later in the season.  

Deaton: Athletic C who’s gonna have a hard time making the roster imo.  Another guy we perhaps stash on the PS with an eye for the future.

I like that we have instant competition at end amongst a bunch of guys, Myles is 1. then we have UAB, Isaiah Thomas who has upside, we have Chase Winovich and then all our others guys that have been hanging on. It will be a blood bath at end for the 3rd and 4th spot. 

They have drafted guys to replace guys. RB, CB, and they have drafted guys against type, with the WR he is a slot, who will compliment our others guys. Our top 3 recievers now all have different skills, basically all of our recievers now offer something different from each other which is interesting for how the build the offense. 

there is competition across the roster at most gorups with this draft, which is great. 

DT anyone could be cut, or anyone could be a starter. 

I think you are right when you say that we need to work on developing some of these guys past just this year. When I look at the potential of the guys we drafted versus a few of these teams though, it’s like comparing apples to watermelons. The ravens got David Ojabo as their second round pass rusher. We got Alex Wright. They got Kyle Hamilton. We traded back even further than where we started and drafted a guy who is probably going to be a second team caliber cornerback. Just being realistic. I haven’t read a single scouting report that projects him as a quality starter. I think we should have taken some bigger swings. David Bell is going to be a reliable fourth or fifth receiver. That’s how I view him, and I don’t think he has number 1/2 Wide receiver abilities. 
Aside from Winfrey and our kicker It seems that we are hoping to develop guys into guys that are good enough to just contribute on the roster. Pieces of the puzzle. But no real centerpieces.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I think you are right when you say that we need to work on developing some of these guys past just this year. When I worked at the potential of the guys we drafted versus a few of these teams though, it’s like comparing apples to watermelons. The raven Scott David Ojabo as their second round pass rusher. We got Alex Wright. They got Kyle Hamilton. We traded back even further than where we started and drafted a guy who is probably going to be a second team caliber cornerback. Just being realistic. I haven’t read a single scouting report that projects him as a quality starter. I think we should have taken some bigger swings. David Bell is going to be a reliable fourth or fifth receiver. That’s how I view him, and I don’t think he has number 1/2 Wide receiver abilities. 
Aside from Winfrey and our kicker It seems that we are hoping to develop guys in two guys that are good enough to just contribute on the roster. Pieces of the puzzle. But no real centerpieces.

Very well said

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I think you are right when you say that we need to work on developing some of these guys past just this year. When I worked at the potential of the guys we drafted versus a few of these teams though, it’s like comparing apples to watermelons. The raven Scott David Ojabo as their second round pass rusher. We got Alex Wright. They got Kyle Hamilton. We traded back even further than where we started and drafted a guy who is probably going to be a second team caliber cornerback. Just being realistic. I haven’t read a single scouting report that projects him as a quality starter. I think we should have taken some bigger swings. David Bell is going to be a reliable fourth or fifth receiver. That’s how I view him, and I don’t think he has number 1/2 Wide receiver abilities. 
Aside from Winfrey and our kicker It seems that we are hoping to develop guys in two guys that are good enough to just contribute on the roster. Pieces of the puzzle. But no real centerpieces.

I don’t disagree, but without a first rounder it’s hard to grab many centerpieces.  At least guys you’d view as centerpieces on draft day. Sure we could have stayed at 44 I guess, but honestly if we did and grabbed Winfrey there I doubt many complain.

And honestly we don’t need another centerpiece.  We need some guys who can step in and play a role better than the guys we had last season.

We were supremely top heavy and the quality on our roster plummeted past the starters.

In addition to not landing a centerpiece, I think people are mad we went off brand instead of name brand at some spots despite probably never seeing any of these guys play.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t disagree, but without a first rounder it’s hard to grab many centerpieces.  At least guys you’d view as centerpieces on draft day. Sure we could have stayed at 44 I guess, but honestly if we did and grabbed Winfrey there I doubt many complain.

And honestly we don’t need another centerpiece.  We need some guys who can step in and play a role better than the guys we had last season.

We were supremely top heavy and the quality on our roster plummeted past the starters.

In addition to not landing a centerpiece, I think people are mad we went off brand instead of name brand at some spots despite probably never seeing any of these guys play.

I agree, we need guys that wont fail as opposed to guys that will dominate a game, we have the stars across the roster we need. 

in 2012 we had a bad oline with Thomas, Mack and Schwartz because our guards were terrible. 

in 2020 we had a bad defense with Garrett and Ward on the roster because we had weak link after weak link. 

We have the top end talent, we need the middle and the bottom of the roster to be great for what they are. 

• Like 1