Overall draft impressions

LETSGOBROWNIES

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Due to the Watson trade, we’re probably going to try to do the same thing next year.

Two guys I immediately think we lose next year are Conklin and Hunt. We probably lose Greedy too.

So we will probably trade down from 2, draft a CB with our first pick, and draft some o-line help.

I'm not a fan of any draft that doesn't include a development OG it OT in the mid rounds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

I'm not a fan of any draft that doesn't include a development OG it OT in the mid rounds.

I agree.

I think that was our only mistake. We should draft offensive linemen every year. It’s the same as drafting CBs.

@Kiwibrown said it best.

We have an incredibly strong foundation of talent. We have a superstar QB, pass rusher, and CB. You’re talking about guys that could easily be with us in their prime for 7 years. 

As long as those guys are healthy, we won’t be a “bad franchise” anymore.

Consequently, we have to learn to draft and develop role players and depth guys. Everybody wants to draft superstar players in every draft, but that doesn’t happen often and you have to pay them.

The decades of suck are over.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

@Kiwibrown said it best.

We have an incredibly strong foundation of talent. We have a superstar QB, pass rusher, and CB. You’re talking about guys that could easily be with us in their prime for 7 years. 

As long as those guys are healthy, we won’t be a “bad franchise” anymore.

Consequently, we have to learn to draft and develop role players and depth guys. Everybody wants to draft superstar players in every draft, but that doesn’t happen often and you have to pay them.

The decades of suck are over.

100%. Even if you don't love the Watson additional from a personal side of things, it's impossible to think our franchise should not be much better on the field for a long time, barring some crazy unforseen things (which could definitely happen to us lol).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

100%. Even if you don't love the Watson additional from a personal side of things, it's impossible to think our franchise should not be much better on the field for a long time, barring some crazy unforseen things (which could definitely happen to us lol).

We'll see what a difference having Watson makes but I personally don't like the direction we are going 2 and more years down the road. We are going to sacrifice positional groups to make this happen while losing a lot of draft resources. I would have felt better had we stayed the course and I'm only speaking on the football side of things. Having a gross person as the face of the franchise just makes it feel worse for me.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

We'll see what a difference having Watson makes but I personally don't like the direction we are going 2 and more years down the road. We are going to sacrifice positional groups to make this happen while losing a lot of draft resources. I would have felt better had we stayed the course and I'm only speaking on the football side of things. Having a gross person as the face of the franchise just makes it feel worse for me.

I think, based on your posts, it's more this!  Couple that with the fact that you are a Baker honk, and this really must suck for you.  The FO is definitely banking on Watson being a top 5-8 QB in this league.  His salary will only seem high for so long.  Great football teams with great QB's figure it out.  Sacrifices may need to be made, in terms of signing FA's.  The assets that we lose via the draft hurt more, but can also be overcome.

If your thoughts are we would have been better off keeping Mayfield, along with the draft capital????  I disagree

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Excellent post Thomas

Life goes on

Went to yellowstone yesterday saw

Old faithful mother black bear,black wolf at 25 yards

2 grizzlies bears and in general spoiled daddy's girl in short life goes on.Happy Birthday Dancing GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I think, based on your posts, it's more this!  Couple that with the fact that you are a Baker honk, and this really must suck for you.  The FO is definitely banking on Watson being a top 5-8 QB in this league.  His salary will only seem high for so long.  Great football teams with great QB's figure it out.  Sacrifices may need to be made, in terms of signing FA's.  The assets that we lose via the draft hurt more, but can also be overcome.

If your thoughts are we would have been better off keeping Mayfield, along with the draft capital????  I disagree

That's fair. I have no special feelings good or bad about Mayfield the man. I do think he can be a top 5-10 QB and it sucked we never used his best attributes his entire time here but I don't need others to think his value is the same as what I think it is.

If I'm right...it was an awful trade. To pay an additional 25 million per year and give up a boatload of picks including three 1st rounders to go from a projected top 10 QB to a top 5-8 QB on a run heavy team seems like.... a lot.

If Baker ends up being a bottom 10 QB it makes sense. Still a big move and Watson has to be MVP level pretty much every year for it to work out but I at least understand from a football side.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Ok your on

Pay Mayfield 40 million 2 years

Pay Ward 15 million 2 years ago

Extend Greedy

Draft Newsome draft jok

Draft Phillips

This year

Draft Hamilton 

Then trade up get hil

That means I have I have hamilton,hill,delpit plus Ward for 5 years

Plus Greedy for 5 years

Newsome for 5 years

Jok for 7 years

Hamilton for 10 years

Hill for 10 years

Round 3 Winfrey

Round 3 trade with the last of my 4

For Grady Sizemore

4th Rasheed walker ot Penn state

6th

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

I would have felt better had we stayed the course and I'm only speaking on the football side of things.

I strongly disagree with you on this. There’s nothing I saw from Baker that led me to believe he was “the guy.” The ending of that Kansas City vs Buffalo playoff game told me Baker needed to go. There’s not any scenario where I can imagine Baker keeping up with Mahomes + Allen in a shootout.

I do 100% understand completely with you being grossed out.