2022 Early Draft Grade

Purplepride323

2022 Draft Grade  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial draft grade for the Vikings 2022 class?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

37 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

An interesting observation of the draft class

Yes, honestly could end up with 3 starters this year. 

Chandler is the one I really find interesting as well. Mattison is out next year. If he works out it could be a way out on even Cooks contract. 

will be interesting to see the way Kwesi goes with running backs and how they value them. 
Follow the 49ers plan, or Andrew Berrys side. Or maybe they let KOC have some say and just find some cheap fits for him like the Mcvay scheme

18 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Yes, honestly could end up with 3 starters this year. 

Chandler is the one I really find interesting as well. Mattison is out next year. If he works out it could be a way out on even Cooks contract. 

will be interesting to see the way Kwesi goes with running backs and how they value them. 
Follow the 49ers plan, or Andrew Berrys side. Or maybe they let KOC have some say and just find some cheap fits for him like the Mcvay scheme

Chandler is good at catching the ball.  So he should fit in well with KOC's schemes.

I'd give Kwesi a B minus.  His trade with Detroit was a terrible return for moving down 20 picks in The 1st, but his fleecing of Green Bay in the 2nd trade helped make up some of that value.  But he reached with Ingram.  I also think he should have taken a WR higher.  Cine and Booth can both be Day 1 starters, Other picks are development players.  I feel much better about the defensive backfield.  the got a little help for their 3-4 rush and illusion of complexity, and some talented youth.  But a LOT needs to go right with many of the picks.  I'd like to see Ingram do really well and win the RG job, with Reed moving to centre and adapting to the new position well enough to beat out Bradbury.  Chandler will be a decent replacement for Mattison after he leaves next offseason in free agency.  And I hope Nailor will develop into a decent 3rd receiver.  We'll have to hope that Irv Smith stays healthy all year, because there is no receiving TE backup for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

McShay called him an instant starter if Cook wasn’t on the team. One of his favorite players in the draft. 

I’m going to say something that is probably controversial…

dalvin cook won’t be a Viking in 2023. Look at the cap hit and cap savings if he’s cut. Mattison won’t be either. 

…I wouldn’t be worried if Ty chandler is the main 2023 back….👀

4 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I’m going to say something that is probably controversial…

dalvin cook won’t be a Viking in 2023. Look at the cap hit and cap savings if he’s cut. Mattison won’t be either. 

…I wouldn’t be worried if Ty chandler is the main 2023 back….👀

That seems like a realistic possibility to me. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the lead trio of backs next year is Kene, Ty, and another draft pick. Instead of a draft pick, perhaps a journeyman on an affordable contract. 

Of course, it is also realistic to think that Cook will perform well enough this year that the team wouldn't be able to move on from him. Cook has it in him especially if he improves his receiving ability. I think the new coach wants RBs that are not limited to dump off passes.  Under the new scheme, Cook could show a lot more than he has shown to this point of his career. Or we might only see why the team rarely used him as a receiver out of the backfield for anything other than screen passes and dump offs. 

It'll be interesting. We'll learn a lot this year. Until we do, there are a lot of realistic scenarios.

On 4/30/2022 at 10:52 PM, CriminalMind said:

Pretty underwhelming prospect class. Would have preferred we stick and pick at #12 and maybe get an impact player. I don’t see that in this class. Just usable bodies.

I think you could say that same thing about the entire class and not just the ones the VIkings drafted.  The "impact" players are going to be few and far between.  Which is why I'm not that upset about any of the picks that were made.  I do like the Cine pick, but beyond that for me, production from any of the other draftees will be gravy. 

Edited by swede700

11 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

That seems like a realistic possibility to me. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the lead trio of backs next year is Kene, Ty, and another draft pick. Instead of a draft pick, perhaps a journeyman on an affordable contract. 

Of course, it is also realistic to think that Cook will perform well enough this year that the team wouldn't be able to move on from him. Cook has it in him especially if he improves his receiving ability. I think the new coach wants RBs that are not limited to dump off passes.  Under the new scheme, Cook could show a lot more than he has shown to this point of his career. Or we might only see why the team rarely used him as a receiver out of the backfield for anything other than screen passes and dump offs. 

It'll be interesting. We'll learn a lot this year. Until we do, there are a lot of realistic scenarios.

Dalvin Cook 2023 cap hit at age 28 - 14,101,273

Dead money if cut pre 6/1 - 6.2 mil

Cap savings - 7.89 mil

There is not a chance in hell Kwesi is having Dalvin play on the Vikings in 2023 with his 14m cap number. Something will happen, paycut, release, etc. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

So Vikings draft players just so another team can’t? That’s not how it works lol 

My initial response was pure satire, my bad. 

Kwesi and Co's model says 32, 34, and 66 are worth 12, 46 regardless of who the trading up team is or drafts. I tend to agree that taking 2 "late first rounders" is better than 1 mid-first round player. 

1 minute ago, sinceAtikevike said:

My initial response was pure satire, my bad. 

Kwesi and Co's model says 32, 34, and 66 are worth 12, 46 regardless of who the trading up team is or drafts. I tend to agree that taking 2 "late first rounders" is better than 1 mid-first round player. 

ah gotcha, my bad brother. You never know these days on the internet.

This is pretty much it. This draft had a lot of flat, horizontal spots on the draft board. There was probably like 5-8 elite talents, then a tier drop off, and then a big pool of players from 9-25 or whatever. Vikings probably identified that and wanted to position themselves in that pool to get 2 players from it + additional picks, instead of just 1 player.

That's really all there is to it. They didn't view Kyle Hamilton, Jameson Williams, Jordan Davis, etc, as players in that top elite tier. We'll see if they turn out to be wrong, but they had a method behind their process, it wasn't just shots in the dark and making decisions as they go, trying to wing it. 

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2022/05/02/lions-brad-holmes-draft-trade-vikings-aggressive-plan-jameson-williams/

When the Detroit Lions bundled three draft picks in a trade package and sent them to the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday night, it wasn’t some spontaneous action. Lions GM Brad Holmes and his Minnesota counterpart, Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, had agreed to the basic framework of the trade well before the first round of the 2022 NFL draft.

6 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I think people lost sight of the fact that with how the talent of this draft was structured, especially compared to next year, that the trade values that teams could get in return was going to get real stunted this year.  Just as many others thought, I too thought initially that they had to get a 2023 pick in order to trade down 20 spots, but in retrospect, this draft, which had a plateau of talent (flat and deep amount of talent, but not elite at the top)  rather than a mountain (elite talent at the top, gradually sliding down in levels) suggest to me that this was an okay deal, even though it was different than what we are used to...especially, since next year's draft will be better, there weren't going to be many cases where 2023 picks were going to be involved in any deal. 

• Like 1