2022 Early Draft Grade

Purplepride323

2022 Draft Grade  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial draft grade for the Vikings 2022 class?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I would've been ecstatic with Davis. I think he's going to be an elite talent very quickly with Philly.

Yup. I’ve come off the ledge a bit about the Vikings’ draft, but Davis is going to be a wrecking ball and would have been the best DT we’ve had since Kevin Williams.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 3:13 PM, SemperFeist said:

I said it back in February, Mond was a better prospect than anyone in this class. Keep developing him. 

Seeing as I very much disagree with this sentiment, what makes you think that Mond is better then this QB class?

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Seeing as I very much disagree with this sentiment, what makes you think that Mond is better then this QB class?

His physical traits are better than any of the 2022 prospects not named Malik Willis, and Mond was significantly further along in showcasing his understanding of the nuances of the QB position than Willis. 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Don’t take it as Vikings fans being unreasonably optimistic about Mond; we’re not. It’s more about this being a historically poor QB class. Absolutely no sense in throwing a day 2 pick at a toolsy, athletic QB project when we already have a toolsy, athletic, Day 2 QB project on the roster. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Don’t take it as Vikings fans being unreasonably optimistic about Mond; we’re not. It’s more about this being a historically poor QB class. Absolutely no sense in throwing a day 2 pick at a toolsy, athletic QB project when we already have a toolsy, athletic, Day 2 QB project on the roster. 

That's fair.  Although, I was probably significantly lower on Mond coming out since I had an UDFA grade on him.  I definitely wouldn't have said he's better then any QB in this year's class, I probably would have argued he's too similar to the level of this year's class.

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Exactly. Also if Mond had stayed in school and chose to declare this year, he would most likely be the 2nd QB taken, or maybe even the first. This QB class was really poor, and Mond made a mistake by not staying an extra year. 

You guys are far more optimistic on him than I am.  I have yet to see anything from Mond to ever impress me in the least.   Yes, it's been brief what I've seen from him, but he doesn't even look like a NFL caliber QB to me.  He looks like he should be the QB of the New Orleans Breakers instead of Sloter.

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

You guys are far more optimistic on him than I am.  I have yet to see anything from Mond to ever impress me in the least.   Yes, it's been brief what I've seen from him, but he doesn't even look like a NFL caliber QB to me.  He looks like he should be the QB of the New Orleans Breakers instead of Sloter.

I think that's how people feel about this whole last class.....I don't think most people think any of them other than one is a starter. It's not that Mond is good, it's that the class is bad. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

How are we feeling about the 2022 draft after the first regular season?

Obviously it's still to early to know how it will turn out and there wasn't much early returns but players from the draft did start contributing more later in the season. 

It was an up and down season for Ingram with a lot of downs, but hopefully he improves a lot in his 2nd season.  I think the potential is there. 

Asomoah looks like he could be a starter next season. 

Evans looked solid when he played.  Hopefully he can stay healthy. 

Nailor didn't do much other than in garbage time but he didn't have a chance with the 3 in front of him.  I like his potential. 

Esezi made the most of his late opportunity.  Could he be part of the rotation next year?

Booth and Cine has rough seasons with injuries but they still have a lot of potential if they can get and stay healthy.  

Chandler could potentially take over for Mattison. 

It's still mostly potential and there wasn't the big immediate impact player this year but I'm curious to see how they all develop.  

This was mostly off the top of my head.  Anyone think the same or different?

I'm still ticked that we gave Green Bay Watson and Detroit Williams especially with the state of our defense/DBs. Watson is looking like an absolute home run for Green Bay and Williams was probably the best WR in college before the crushing ACL. Zion Johnson would have been a great pick there.

Realistically, we're not going to see Cine's or Booth's full potential for another couple seasons. they didn't get much time on defense this year, Their rookie season are essentially 2023, and it takes a year or two for a young DB to hit that potential. Obviously nobodies fault but that's crushing.

Wright looks like he could be our punter for the next 7+ years which is great.

I'm all in favor of drafting for the future and some more "project" type players to sit and learn a bit but with our cap crunch and our top-2 picks being a couple years away yet, we need to get some players who are closer to first year starters than being fine with redshirt type picks in 2023.

Vikings had some bad luck with this draft class in year 1, really no way you can say otherwise. But there are positives

1. Ingram started all 17 games; showed enough potential where I think they should stick with him as he should develop into a reliable RG. They really only need to worry about who will be the center for 2023 as the other positions should be set.

2. Asamoah flashed enough towards the end of the season where they should feel comfortable handing one of the ILB's rolls to him for 2023. His 2022 season isn't totally written yet though; I expect more snaps in the playoffs.

3. Esezi looks to be at least, a rotational player next year. Also flashed a bit for a 5th rounder.

Ironically, the 3 draft picks we thought at the beginning of the season we needed the most to produce for us, produced the least (because of injuries) and the Vikings still won 13 games.

Cine SHOULD still be a very good nfl player; assuming he returns to his level of athleticism prior to fracturing his ankle. 

Jury is still out on Booth. I love his talent, but he's show in college and now in the NFL, he's been very injury prone. The best ability is availability and this is an issue with him. I hope he can get fully healthy and we can see what he can do next year.

Evans was just bad, bad luck with the concussions. I hope he gets right. He also has a lot of potential because of his size and athleticism. 

You certainty can't write this class off yet after 1 year; it would be foolish to do that. But you can also say it was disappointing; even if it was due to factors outside of the Vikings control. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'm still ticked that we gave Green Bay Watson and Detroit Williams especially with the state of our defense/DBs. Watson is looking like an absolute home run for Green Bay and Williams was probably the best WR in college before the crushing ACL. Zion Johnson would have been a great pick there.

It's still early to call Watson a home run as far as I'm concerned.  He was the best offensive rookie in the division, but there weren't a lot of those even in the running.  He's certainly a home run threat, but as far as consistency, he still has a long way to go...and should A-Rodg not return (as he seemed to hint), there's a possibility that he might not get there.  But who knows.  I wasn't ticked at the time, and my mind hasn't changed.  It's always about the long game for me when it comes to the draft.  If Booth can get through his injury and stay healthy, they could end up with 2 starters for Watson (Ingram was the other pick).  That's worth it to me. 

And what isn't as well known is that one of the Packers' picks that were acquired was flipped in order to pick Booth.  That pick ended up being Alec Pierce for the Colts, who ended up having as good a year as Watson did (other than TDs, but numbers were very similar).   

• Like 2

My thoughts pretty much jive with what every one has said about most guys, but I'll add my 2 cents anyways.

Cine/Booth: Jury still out, rookie seasons derailed by injuries. Talent is definitely there.

Ingram: Glad coaching staff let him take his lumps. 2023 will be a big year for him.

Asamoah: Expecting good things from him, should definitely be a starter next year.

Evans: What a find, would definitely be OK if he's starting next year.

Otomewo: Appears to be, at worst, a solid rotational piece. Will be some interesting camp battles at the DE spots next year. I think it is definitely one of the weaker/weakest spots on the defense opposite of Tomlinson.

Chandler: Wish we could've seen a little more of him yesterday but he's interesting given the Cook and Mattison situations. IIRC he looked pretty solid in the pre-season. 

Lowe: Came in and played well yesterday against the Bears. Don't recall hearing his name yesterday which is a good thing. Udoh (UFA) and Brandel (ERFA) I'd assume we'd bring at least one of those two back, but it appears the Vikes have a nice potential depth piece with Lowe here.

Nailor: Made plays when his number was called, regardless if it was against backups or not. Will be interesting to see what happens with AT19. His ceiling is probably a #3 but that is a valuable position in today's NFL and would be a home-run pick in the 6th if he becomes a productive #3.

Muse: Was waived recently for the return of Irv Smith Jr. I wonder if he'll be brought back from camp next year.