The Marvel Cinematic Universe- X-Men 97 trailer (March 20)

Acgott

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I don't know how anybody could argue that no concern with continuity is a good thing. 

How they say it's a strength is baffling to me. But the Xverse has been pretty good and should have a great 2018. 

In fairness, the XMen Universe and Marvel cinematic universe are doing very different things.     I dont think XMen needs to rely heavily on continuity.  HOWEVER, its pretty clear that continuity DOES matter to the XMen universe, but due to two less than stellar movies (X3, and Origins), they were forced to retcon that (although the movie that did it is one of my faves) by messing with the continuity.     

The Wolverine solo movies are the only movies that dont seem to be concerned. with continuity, and the only one of them worth a damn was Logan.     Wolverine Orgins was laughably bad and The Wolverine was average at best.    Logan was a homerun and worth deviating for, but all in all, the XMen universe clearly does care about continuity....they just dont handle it well.

The MCU is a well oiled machine, carefully planned at every stage of production.

Yeah, I have no complaints with X-Men and how they warped the continuity, my only complaint is that in order to do it they had to eliminate X-Men 1 and 2, which I thought were among the best superhero movies.  I was a really big fan of First Class, a HUGE fan of DOFP, but I hated Apocalypse.  I didn't feel one ounce of emotion in that movie.  It was like... It did nothing for me at all.  I don't have much faith in the X-Men universe going forward because Jackman is out as Wolverine, and because their current cast is just awful.  I'd really like to see a hard reboot of the X-Men Universe, but that won't happen for probably ten years at least.

As far as MCU, I really have no complaints.  I don't think a single movie in the MCU is an incredible all-time great movie, but I haven't seen a bad one yet either.  That's 15 movie, and not one of them has been bad.  I don't think there's been another series that has had 5 good movies.  So if we're comparing universes, I'd say 15 good movies that all fit with one single continuity is much better than 3 great movies (X1,X2, DOFP) that don't git into the continuity, 2 bad movies that don't fit in the continuity, and one really bad one that does fit in the continuity (Apocalypse).

The reason people try to poo on the MCU is because it's so steady.  They're grasping at straws for complaints.  While X-Men has butchered two of its biggest story arcs (and it looks like they'll butcher another one for the second time), the MCU has done justice to every story arc they've tried so far, at least as best as they could considering limitations and limited characters (Civil War). 

Just now, THE DUKE said:

I'd call CA: Winter Soldier a great movie, but I'd agree the rest fall below that kind of standard.

I'd call both Winter Soldier and Civil War great movies I guess.  And Guardians of the Galaxy.  Haven't seen Guardians 2. 

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yeah, I have no complaints with X-Men and how they warped the continuity, my only complaint is that in order to do it they had to eliminate X-Men 1 and 2, which I thought were among the best superhero movies.  I was a really big fan of First Class, a HUGE fan of DOFP, but I hated Apocalypse.  I didn't feel one ounce of emotion in that movie.  It was like... It did nothing for me at all.  I don't have much faith in the X-Men universe going forward because Jackman is out as Wolverine, and because their current cast is just awful.  I'd really like to see a hard reboot of the X-Men Universe, but that won't happen for probably ten years at least.

I agree with this 1000%

Apocalypse was so bad and so safe and so blah

They need a hard reboot with just Deadpool in the fold

Logan was the perfect end to these movies

Just now, Bianconero said:

They need a hard reboot with just Deadpool in the fold

I haven't seen Logan because I just can't stand to see the end of Jackman as Wolverine.  I don't think I'll ever watch that one knowing what happens in it.

As far as Deadpool, he's literally the one character that could survive a hard reboot.  He could literally ask if his continuity still exists or not and it would work. 

58 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I haven't seen Logan because I just can't stand to see the end of Jackman as Wolverine.  I don't think I'll ever watch that one knowing what happens in it.

As far as Deadpool, he's literally the one character that could survive a hard reboot.  He could literally ask if his continuity still exists or not and it would work. 

Dood, it's amazing

I cried, but I get it

And yes, exactly. All you have do is break the fourth wall once and then he says whatever and runs along with it

On 8/1/2017 at 10:51 AM, Bianconero said:

They need a hard reboot with just Deadpool in the fold.

I mean, I get that Colossus and NTW were thrust into Deadpool's continuity, but Deadie's tie to the X-Men is through Logan.  Rebooting X-Men sans Wolverine only to thrust Deadpool in would just feel wrong and inappropriate.  Plus, they're going to keep the X-Men franchise PG; they just are - for purposes of expanded market and merchandising (they are not going to turn away from the kind of money that they can make from marketing the X-Men to kids - even if, you could definitely argue, X-Men was never really a kids comic, more teen/young-adult at youngest).

Realistically though, you can reboot and recast as many times as you want, until they get a good writer and (and this is really on FOX, which I don't have a lot of hope for because as long as they remain a FOX property, the Schuler-Donners will remain in an influential part) producers (who will let a director put forward his vision that also fits with the continuity and not have the studio dictating have's and have-not's), we're just going to get more of the same.

I mean, it's not like they haven't cast good actors in the past: McKellan is a fantastic actor, as are Fassbender, McAvoy, Minnette, (Jennifer Lawrence used to be, then she got lazy), Flemyng, Dinklage, Hoult, and Munn.  Hell, Oscar Isaac is an amazing actor, they just wrote and presented his character poorly.

14 hours ago, The LBC said:

I mean, I get that Colossus and NTW were thrust into Deadpool's continuity, but Deadie's tie to the X-Men is through Logan.  

Actually, it's Cable.  We only learned of his ties to the Weapon X program later on.