The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast

Acgott

44 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

What do you mean? The scene vs T’Challa and him? That fight it was explained that T’Challa took a drug of some sort to mask/cleanse the effects of the heart shaped herb within him for a short period of time. He then has to re-up on it.

Though perhaps I’m confusing your meaning there and you’re referring to something else? If you are I apologize for not understanding, I’ll need further clarification. 

Oh is that what happened. Need to rewatch that scene. I thought that was the herb

51 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Let’s also not act like Boseman was Will Smith.  Loved the guy, but he was NOT a household name before he was in the MCU.  Obviously extremely talented, but he wasn’t a household name.  Black Panther made him a household name and propelled him into stardom.  

I agree with your overall point and I am all for recasting, not coming up with stupid reasons for some other character taking the mantle. However, the fact that Black Panther was Boseman's breakout role and not simply another character in a long, illustrious career makes it tougher to recast IMO.

18 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Oh is that what happened. Need to rewatch that scene. I thought that was the herb

Yeah it’s been some time. So I couldn’t fully recall if they completely purged it from his system or if they simply masked it for the fight.

Upon looking it over again, they purged it from his system which is why his body was sent into convulsions. Then he had to consume the heart shaped herb again to repower himself into the BP, this is when he travels to the ancestral plane to once again receive the power of the Black Panther.

11 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I get what people are saying about a recast. However, I think its incredibly myopic. Its all about respect right? How about we respect the character he helped bring to life by continuing and expanding its legacy. 

Regardless of what happens, its going to be polarizing.

I dont care either way.  Its a movie.  People can make it out to be more than that, but thats all it is.  I liked Boseman in the role, for sure, but his cultural impact is clouding peoples opinions on his performance, which was good, but not irreplaceable.

I still think it would be best to replace TChalla as BP as opposed to recasting Boseman, but I dont hate the idea of recasting him with the right actor.

• Like 3

I'd lean on the side of recasting.  The character is too important to the MCU to write him out, and you can recast and still honor the original actor in the part. I assume that Disney knew long before this past week and more has been planned than we know and that it was kept under wraps in respect to Boseman's wishes for privacy, but i'd be shocked if there isn't a plan already.

As for the heart shaped flower, that can easily be written around.  Some "secret alcove" or "undiscovered cave" that has one that others can then be grown from it.  Killmonger burning one spot where they are grown eradicating them all seems just as cheesy as any writing around to get them back.

15 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

This is ignorant to even attribute the impact of those characters to the impact that Boseman had within the community. The Hulk grossed $264.8m, far less than the $1.29B of Black Panther. It also happened at the very beginning of the MCU before things had been as interwoven and set in stone.

Within Harry Potter, replacing an old guy with a white beard that just has to look old... isn’t the same as replacing Boseman. He was one of the most well known actors in the world. Surely a top 5 black actor. Acting as if he’s just some other guy is incredibly disrespectful. You don’t recast a Will Smith or Denzel Washington or Samuel L Jackson in the middle of an iconic role. And behind those guys, Boseman was the next most prominent black actor in Hollywood in what was one of the most iconic roles of all time.

Just recasting him would be on of the most disrespectful actions. I’m sure I wouldn’t be the only one within the community that would cancel Marvel for such a distasteful transgression.

Yep, better to shut it all down and let the character die off. Seriously? 

Recast the damn thing. Give another actor an opportunity to establish himself on the biggest stage. 

I don’t know a lot about actors, but John David Washington popped into my as someone that could play Tchalla. Of course, his father’s relationship with Chadwick has mentioned a lot in recent days. I haven’t seen Tenet yet, but I loved Blackkklansman

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

I don’t know a lot about actors, but John David Washington popped into my as someone that could play Tchalla. Of course, his father’s relationship with Chadwick has mentioned a lot in recent days. I haven’t seen Tenet yet, but I loved Blackkklansman

If they do go the route of recasting, Washington would be a good choice.

19 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I did, I also saw Thor and all the other films with Loki in it where he came back to life.

Whats more scientists spent years trying to perfect the super soldier serum and they could never duplicate it again after Cap. All their failed efforts produced those in the weapon x programs and/or The Hulk, etc.

So it’s not a very logical take in expecting even the most brilliant person on the planet to just figure out a solution to the heart shaped herb problem within a couple years without seeing incredibly destructive consequences.

I could see the writers take it in a Christopher reeves/Superman 2 direction, in that Killmonger needs the herbs, but destroyed them.  But now has to prove he is worthy to have them scientifically re-engineered.  It wouldn't be that far-fetched to have that happen in Wakanda.  The Winter Soldier lived there for years. Then Surri could re-engineer the flower to complete the transformation.

23 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I could see the writers take it in a Christopher reeves/Superman 2 direction, in that Killmonger needs the herbs, but destroyed them.  But now has to prove he is worthy to have them scientifically re-engineered.  It wouldn't be that far-fetched to have that happen in Wakanda.  The Winter Soldier lived there for years. Then Surri could re-engineer the flower to complete the transformation.

I’m going to be honest, I remember General Zod, the two other Kryptons, and the battle they all had in Metropolis, but I can’t recall the rest of the plot too specifically to agree or disagree with your POV.

But I can agree that them holding Killmonger in a sort of stasis wouldn’t necessarily be “shocking”, certainly precedent there in comics to go such a route. With a good enough plot angle, it could certainly make sense.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m going to be honest, I remember General Zod, the two other Kryptons, and the battle they all had in Metropolis, but I can’t recall the rest of the plot too specifically to agree or disagree with your POV.

But I can agree that them holding Killmonger in a sort of stasis wouldn’t necessarily be “shocking”, certainly precedent there in comics to go such a route. With a good enough plot angle, it could certainly make sense.

Basically, he trades in the cape for mortality so he can spend his life with Lois.  Then Zod and the crew show up, and he can't stop them.  So he has to do some growing up before the "last crystal" can be used to restore his powers.

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yep, better to shut it all down and let the character die off. Seriously? 

Recast the damn thing. Give another actor an opportunity to establish himself on the biggest stage. 

Yes, seriously. Recasting the role would be completely tone deaf, which would go against much of what Disney has also attempted to establish within their MCU. Diversity and tone has been especially big in the newer phases of their direction.

It’s not as if I am alone (or even in some small minority) in this thinking about T’Challa:

Here’s a look at some of the options Disney will no doubt consider.

1. Recast the role King T’Challa with another actor.

By all accounts, this is a non-starter and would lead to a fan revolt. Fans have been adamant that Boseman’s role as King T’Challa should not be recast and that his panther claws could pass on to another

So while T’Challa is most certainly a great role for another actor to take the mantle of... after enough time has passed, Chadwick Boseman was the lead actor in the highest grossing solo Superhero movie of all time; he IS King T’Challa, same as Carrie Fisher is Princess Leia; replacing her was as unthinkable to me then as replacing T’Challa would be now. The tonal feedback is that many don’t want Chadwick Boseman replaced.

The script is still in the process of being written. So there’s little reason for tonality to not be taken into consideration.

Looks like Fiege and Disney had no idea he was sick:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-grapples-with-how-to-proceed-on-black-panther-without-chadwick-boseman

On Aug. 28, Marvel chief creative officer Kevin Feige received an urgent email regarding Chadwick Boseman, with no further information. Unbeknownst to anyone at the studio, the Black Panther star had been battling colon cancer privately for four-plus years and had taken a sudden turn for the worse. By the time Feige read the message an hour later, Boseman already had died, sending shock waves through Disney and the tight-knit Marvel Cinematic Universe.

• Acgott changed the title to The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast