The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast

Acgott

I thought Zemo was great in Civil War.  Playing them against each other behind the scenes is way more feasible and interesting than just another big bad super powered villain. By the end of the movie I thought his motivations and tactics were both clear and believable. 

As more where each person stood on the Sokovia accords, sometimes people surprise you on where they stand.  I thought Vision as a synthetic being could buy into the idea of oversight, because it makes sense if you think rationally.  Where it breaks down is that the oversight is done by irrational people, which is what Cap understood by claiming the best hands were still there own. 

I agree Civil War is probably in the 6-9 range in terms of rank in the MCU, but I thought that after my first viewing even.  The top half of the MCU is all great though, even the 11-15 range is pretty damn solid.  They've only had a few clunkers, which is amazing considering they are 19 movies in.

Civil War is one that I have to watch again. I thought that it was solid, I'd probably put it in the 10-12 range, but it's been a while. Zemo didn't seem like enough of a villain to me, granted, he was supposed to be a backdrop/instigator to what sets Tony/Cap off against each other. I think some of it too was that the group of people I hang around were gushing over Cap with that movie, and looking at it, Tony has some really good reasons for what he does too, and I've never been a huge Captain America fan, so part of me just thought that Tony's side made a lot more sense.

On 5/3/2018 at 7:58 PM, Desperado82 said:

Did anyone think five years ago Spider Man would be in an Avengers movie?

Very different situation. The second Sony said yes to the deal, they started the process. If Disney buys that part of Dox, they can not start on any of that stuff until regulatory things are approved, which could take an entire year with something that Big. 

On 5/1/2018 at 8:44 AM, NickButera said:

As good as the marvel universe is, I'm beginning to have concerns about solo movies.

Iron Man solo movies: Faces a villain who gets Ironman tech

Captain America Movie 1 & 2: Faces villains who get Superhuman serum tech

Hulk Solo movies (albiet outdated) Faced villains who got Hulk gamma-radiation serum

Ant Man and Ant Man and The Wasp: Faces villains who get shrinking tech. 

Dr Strange: faces villains who are the same as him

etc, etc. It was fine at first, but it's getting redundant now 22 movies in.

At least Thor and Guardians face unique villains. But I'd really like to see more solo movies that face unique villains that have their own unique traits. There are so many good villains out there to take advantage of, Spiderman did this very well. 

No one got the super serum in Captain America 2. Hydra doesn't have anything to do with that.

Also, Ant Man and the Wasp hasn't been released yet, but the tech Ghost uses shouldn't have anything to do with shrinking. 

Dr. Strange deals in the mystic realm. Everyone he faces is going to have some magical or cosmic element to them. Or else he would just wipe the floor with everybody.

Edited by PapaShogun

13 minutes ago, NickButera said:

The main villain, the Winter soldier, did. The Russian version.

Hydra didn't get their hands on the super serum. They performed experiments on him, screwed with his mind, and gave him a metal arm.

I mean both Steve and Bucky's abilities are mostly because of what procedures they went through in a lab, but that's about it. Bucky isn't the main villain in Winter Solider though. It's Alexander Pierce and Hydra with their plot to basically keep tabs on everyone in modern day society. Bucky is essentially muscle for whoever gets in Hydra's way. He's a tool with no motivation or goals. 

Edited by PapaShogun

Not sure if this is mentioned, but if we get a Wolverine reboot in the MCU I would LOVE Jon Bernthal in the role. I know he’s The Punisher, but tv universe and movie universe can remain separate. He’s perfect for the role IMO. And he looks different enough from Hugh Jackman that we wouldn’t be as likely to compare him to Jackman’s Wolverine, which will be important for a reboot of such an iconic character/actor combo.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Not sure if this is mentioned, but if we get a Wolverine reboot in the MCU I would LOVE Jon Bernthal in the role. I know he’s The Punisher, but tv universe and movie universe can remain separate. He’s perfect for the role IMO. And he looks different enough from Hugh Jackman that we wouldn’t be as likely to compare him to Jackman’s Wolverine, which will be important for a reboot of such an iconic character/actor combo.

Josh Brolin is Cable AND Thanos.   Clearly actor role confusion isn’t a concern in the MCU lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I've really cooled on Bernthal and I now think of him as essentially a character actor.  He recycles the exact same mannerisms and personality in every movie he's in.  Tom Hardy or nobody. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I've really cooled on Bernthal and I now think of him as essentially a character actor.  He recycles the exact same mannerisms and personality in every movie he's in.  Tom Hardy or nobody. 

I don’t know. I think his role in Wolf of Wall Street is different than what we see of him in The Punisher. What’s more, as Wolverine the mannerisms fit. How often has Hugh Jackman changed his mannerisms while playing the Wolverine?

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

I don’t know. I think his role in Wolf of Wall Street is different than what we see of him in The Punisher. What’s more, as Wolverine the mannerisms fit. How often has Hugh Jackman changed his mannerisms while playing the Wolverine?

Yeah, but the difference is Jackman doesn't do Wolverine mannerisms when he's playing PT Barnum.  That's what I'm getting at.  If Bernthal plays Wolverine, we're getting the exact same thing we got for The Punisher. 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Josh Brolin is Cable AND Thanos.   Clearly actor role confusion isn’t a concern in the MCU lol. 

Well Fox MCU and Disney MCU aren't the same, but he would be a good candidate for Logan. Especially since Fox is still separate. That might change in a few months though. 

The casual fan wouldn't care, but I can already see a ton of people calling foul since The Punisher and X-Men/Wolverine could be under the same universe umbrella soon. 

Edited by PapaShogun

17 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I thought Zemo was great in Civil War.  Playing them against each other behind the scenes is way more feasible and interesting than just another big bad super powered villain. By the end of the movie I thought his motivations and tactics were both clear and believable. 

As more where each person stood on the Sokovia accords, sometimes people surprise you on where they stand.  I thought Vision as a synthetic being could buy into the idea of oversight, because it makes sense if you think rationally.  Where it breaks down is that the oversight is done by irrational people, which is what Cap understood by claiming the best hands were still there own. 

I agree Civil War is probably in the 6-9 range in terms of rank in the MCU, but I thought that after my first viewing even.  The top half of the MCU is all great though, even the 11-15 range is pretty damn solid.  They've only had a few clunkers, which is amazing considering they are 19 movies in.

I like the concept of Zemo, but his plan was absolute lunacy. Screenwriters have the privilege of knowing viewers naturally suspend disbelief when they go to watch these movies, but I feel they abused that with this film and took it a bit too far. I am very surprised that you find his tactics believable, the amount of variables out of his control at each step (and the plan was like 20 something steps, I remember an article poking fun at it which listed each progression of the plan) make it too far out of the box, especially for somebody we are suppose to think of as just a guy with an obsession driving him to madness (which is part of the appeal of his character, that he's nothing special.... unfortunately there is a bit of a contradiction there because the nature of his plan sort of implicates him as a true super genius, which was definitely not the intention IMO)

I agree though that it's still a great movie, and FAR from a clunker. I was just surprised upon my re-watch that it wasn't the epic, 10/10, masterpiece that I remembered. 

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Hydra didn't get their hands on the super serum. They performed experiments on him, screwed with his mind, and gave him a metal arm.

I mean both Steve and Bucky's abilities are mostly because of what procedures they went through in a lab, but that's about it. Bucky isn't the main villain in Winter Solider though. It's Alexander Pierce and Hydra with their plot to basically keep tabs on everyone in modern day society. Bucky is essentially muscle for whoever gets in Hydra's way. He's a tool with no motivation or goals. 

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Soldier_Serum

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Winter_Soldier_Program

Civil War expands on the Winter Soldiers background more, how he was the first super soldier for Hydra with their use of their serum.

And while I agree with your point about the "main bad guy", it's semantics. The point of what I was saying is that the hero usually faces an antagonist who is similar to the hero. In Winter Soldier's case, 2 super solders who've been enhanced facing off against eachother. 

7 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yeah, but the difference is Jackman doesn't do Wolverine mannerisms when he's playing PT Barnum.  That's what I'm getting at.  If Bernthal plays Wolverine, we're getting the exact same thing we got for The Punisher. 

Which is what I’m saying. Bernthal’s Punisher, with a different suit IS Wolverine. Perhaps even more than anything Hugh Jackman has done and perhaps more than he’s a true “Punisher” fit when compared to his comic/cartoon counterparts.

The aggressive grunt noise he makes when fighting is almost the same noise Wolverine used to make when in a fight. His mannerisms wouldn’t need to change much. And like I said, his mannerisms in The Wolf of Wall Street aren’t the same as they are in the Punisher.

Whats more Tom Hardy playing venom is MCU movies twice. Plus I just don’t think he has the Wolverine look. But that’s just me.

• Acgott changed the title to The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast