The Marvel Cinematic Universe- X-Men 97 trailer (March 20)

Acgott

28 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Hopefully she wasn’t one of the people telling everyone to stay home when Covid first hit or she’ll look really silly for suing Disney when there’s a pandemic on and people wanted to watch her movie.

I think it’s because Disney renegotiated her contract to tie it to box office sales, and that was before the pandemic. Ideally they have it tie to both. But why would they do that?

If I was on that jury, she'd have a very tough time proving her case, because Disney is not at fault for the pandemic, nor would it be considered reasonable to delay much more than they did.  They waited over a year to release it because of the pandemic, hard to see how that was acting in bad faith.

21 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

If I was on that jury, she'd have a very tough time proving her case, because Disney is not at fault for the pandemic, nor would it be considered reasonable to delay much more than they did.  They waited over a year to release it because of the pandemic, hard to see how that was acting in bad faith.

I didn't read the article, but is she arguing she should be paid some of the cut of the Disney+ sales since they cut into her box office cut?

1 hour ago, D82 said:

I still don't know how I feel about this. I'm going to end up watching it, but more so out of curiosity as opposed to excitement. 

Whatever this tournament is I'm excited for, I'm curious is Shang-chi is meant to be his own franchise or this is a dual way of closing the Mandarin story finally + introducing a new Avenger. Who will mostly be in teamups going forward.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I think it’s because Disney renegotiated her contract to tie it to box office sales, and that was before the pandemic. Ideally they have it tie to both. But why would they do that?

She also was a producer, so yeah she 100% was looking towards a decent chunk from B/O totals.

I think they'll just settle out of court over it. Maybe it hurts the relationship with Disney, but it makes sense to go after what you're owed. Disney+ really killed that 2nd week

Poor Scarlet with a net worth of 165 million being impacted by a global pandemic that has taken 2 million lives.

Just… Really feel for her.

Imagine having to choose an inferior private jet.

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Poor Scarlet with a net worth of 165 million being impacted by a global pandemic that has taken 2 million lives.

Just… Really feel for her.

Imagine having to choose an inferior private jet.

As opposed to poor Disney, that multibillion dollar conglomerate.  How would they ever be able to recover?

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

As opposed to poor Disney, that multibillion dollar conglomerate.  How would they ever be able to recover?

Touché. At the same time, Scarlet signed a contract. What’s Disney going to do, hold off on releasing Black Widow for 5 years until theaters have the life they did before the pandemic?  If they ever do again?

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Touché. At the same time, Scarlet signed a contract. What’s Disney going to do, hold off on releasing Black Widow for 5 years until theaters have the life they did before the pandemic?  If they ever do again?

Its pretty bad faith that they amend the release plan when the release plan is intrinsic to how you pay the talent. While it probably wasnt the main reason they utilized Disney+, but what an added benefit to not have to pay actors OR theaters for that income. If Disney was smart, they would have just thrown in a rider or amendment. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Yeah, but it's not ScarJo's fault for the pandemic happening either. She should have seen a cut of the online streaming revenue. Probably tried to do a workaround with Disney, but they ignored her about it. 

This isn't the first time that Disney has tried to be sneaky with contracts. The Robin Williams fiasco comes to mind. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yeah, but it's not ScarJo's fault for the pandemic happening either. She should have seen a cut of the online streaming revenue. Probably tried to do a workaround with Disney, but they ignored her about it. 

This isn't the first time that Disney has tried to be sneaky with contracts. The Robin Williams fiasco comes to mind. 

Oh, I can totally see Disney being ruthless about it (This is the way), but legally she won't have a leg to stand on for breach of contract.

18 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Oh, I can totally see Disney being ruthless about it (This is the way), but legally she won't have a leg to stand on for breach of contract.

We'll see. We don't know the details of her contract, but apparently  they also told her in writing that the film would follow a standard theatrical release model when she signed the contract, and assured her they would renegotiate if plans changed. Whoops. If anything, it's bad press for Disney, and sometimes enough of a stink can make change happen (James Gunn situation).

This is a bigger issue in entertainment that needs to get fixed. Far too long it's the creatives that get cut down to size in regards to revenue sharing. Writers, directors, actors, and many others rely on residuals and bonuses to survive. I think this is one of the reasons WarnerBros releasing movies on HBOMax pissed off so many directors/producers/talent because for decades deals have included giving them a cut of the box office, not the streaming services (until very very recently). When WB & HBO made their agreement, it took away a large portion of the filmmakers' income.

Anyway mini rant over. :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe