The Marvel Cinematic Universe- X-Men 97 trailer (March 20)

Acgott

I seriously doubt Boseman would care if BP was recast.   Those types of things tend to be trival when you die.

Again, I think it personally makes more sense for a new BP to take over.   Have T'Challa sacrifice himself for Wakanda, and dedicate the film to Boseman.    Have the rest of the film be about the disorder in the kingdom without its king, and the rise of a new hero who takes over the mantle.

If its recast, I just hope its done well.   My biggest issue there isnt that itd disrespectful to Boseman (because it isnt), its that, from a continuity standpoint, I think it makes more sense to turn things over to a new character altogether.

Im on board either way.   Im just annoyed by this notion that an actor CANT be recast because its supposedly disrespectful.    People die.   Thats life.    Sad, but true.    You have to move on.    If its done tastefully, which it almost certainly would be, so what?

Superman got recast after Reeves died. The timing wasn't this drastic obviously, but there's precedent for a beloved actor in an iconic part being recast after their death.

It's clearly not apples-to-apples because Superman Returns was an entirely different cast, but it was a sequel to Superman II.

Edited by seminoles1

54 minutes ago, Blue said:

FWIW, Shuri did take over as Black Panther at one point.

That Shuri and movie Shuri might as well be different characters. In the comics, Shuri is an estranged sister who had traveled the world looking for her uncle to challenge him and prove herself worthy of the Black Panther mantle. She returns to Wakanda to find her brother to be the Black Panther and hates him for it. Originally, when T'Challa is in a coma, she takes the heart shaped herb and it REJECTS her because of her conceit and jealousy of her brother. That Shuri was also trained in combat her whole life and was just as good if not better than T'Challa before gaining any BP power. 

• Like 4

On 9/2/2020 at 9:10 PM, 43M said:

I seriously doubt Boseman would care if BP was recast.   Those types of things tend to be trival when you die.

Again, I think it personally makes more sense for a new BP to take over.   Have T'Challa sacrifice himself for Wakanda, and dedicate the film to Boseman.    Have the rest of the film be about the disorder in the kingdom without its king, and the rise of a new hero who takes over the mantle.

If its recast, I just hope its done well.   My biggest issue there isnt that itd disrespectful to Boseman (because it isnt), its that, from a continuity standpoint, I think it makes more sense to turn things over to a new character altogether.

Im on board either way.   Im just annoyed by this notion that an actor CANT be recast because its supposedly disrespectful.    People die.   Thats life.    Sad, but true.    You have to move on.    If its done tastefully, which it almost certainly would be, so what?

I'm fine with either option on my end. I'd be okay if they wanted to just "recast" it as well. People might have a stink, but again, I don't see how it is dishonoring Boseman. We'll always have our memories of him being BP.

That said, I propose LaKeith Stanfield for the next BP. I am a big fan. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

I really want John David Washington mostly because of his body of work and partly because of his father's connections with Chadwick 

He’s just like so effortlessly cool on screen. Would be interesting to see.

First person I thought about if they went the recasting route was Yahya Abdul-Mateen II. Enjoyed him as Black Manta in Aquaman, but he was great in the Watchmen show.

I think T’Challa is a pretty important character both culturally, for how people view the MCU, and in universe. I get if they don’t want to recast, but can’t blame them and totally get it if they do.