The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast

Acgott

2 hours ago, KManX89 said:

The fact that he had 10k+ Tweets on the subject shows they were probably more than just dumb, unfunny jokes. It shows a complete lack of empathy for something that destroys lives at the very least. And while working for a company primarily aimed at kids? I completely understand why he was given the axe. At the end of the day, they're under no obligation to keep somebody around if they're gonna hurt their brand by going on racist rants or making pedophilia jokes on Twitter (were they jokes?).

Of course, we all know why he deleted the Tweets: some conservative pundits were trying to dig up dirt on him to get him fired after taking shots at Trump.

After reading his comments. I've heard worse. Jokes are jokes even if they are morbid and sick. I could maybe understand it if was a manifesto that was meant to be serious. But he was not guilty of any crime, nothing he did was illegal, nor was it meant to claim those statements were part of his lifestyle. I mean if we find out later that he was and or is an active pedophile then I will retract my statement over him being fired. 

But stuff like this just leads to punishments of lesser offenses. For example what if the NFL decided to just ban Josh Allen for what he said back in high school and refuse to let him sign to any NFL team just because of the image?

Things like this have a snowball effect that get more and more serious if its allowed to continue. The time to punish Gunn was 7 years ago or w/e they came out. Not now. And this is coming from someone who considers Gunn a D-bag.

7 hours ago, KManX89 said:

The fact that he had 10k+ Tweets on the subject shows they were probably more than just dumb, unfunny jokes. It shows a complete lack of empathy for something that destroys lives at the very least. And while working for a company primarily aimed at kids? I completely understand why he was given the axe. At the end of the day, they're under no obligation to keep somebody around if they're gonna hurt their brand by going on racist rants or making pedophilia jokes on Twitter (were they jokes?).

Of course, we all know why he deleted the Tweets: some conservative pundits were trying to dig up dirt on him to get him fired after taking shots at Trump.

Question, because I have only seen a few of the tweets...

Were there really around 10k of these comments, or did he have like 50-100 of them and just deleted everything between two specific time points just to make sure he got them all?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Question, because I have only seen a few of the tweets...

Were there really around 10k of these comments, or did he have like 50-100 of them and just deleted everything between two specific time points just to make sure he got them all?

I'd doubt there's a full 10k amount of those comments otherwise it would've been pointed out a lot earlier, it's probably the bolded since there's a tweet of him searching for his tweets between 2007 and 2012. 

He still shouldn't have been fired but oh well, Marvel's guardian 3 script is done and they can touch it up and just pull from one of their former directors to finish off guardians. (Thor Raganarok's director should probably be his replacement) 

His whole thing early on was being a provocateur. 

The thing with playing with fire is, it might eventually burn you

At the end of the day, I cant hate on a studio for not wanting the heat for employing a guy who resorted to using pedophilia humor to make a name for himself

12 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Did they not run a background check on him 5 years ago?

Can't do a background check on twitter. But how much you wanna bet entertainment companies start buying IT that will find word specifics on previous FB and Twitter posts to see if the person they are hiring could be in the least bit controversial.

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Can't do a background check on twitter. But how much you wanna bet entertainment companies start buying IT that will find word specifics on previous FB and Twitter posts to see if the person they are hiring could be in the least bit controversial.

Pretty soon we'll be doing a citizen social credit score to prevent hiring and associating with people, just like China.

14 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Did they not run a background check on him 5 years ago?

From what I’ve heard, Gunn has previously addressed his twitter history. So I doubt Disney was entirely unaware of it. It just wasn’t general public knowledge and it recently came to light because of some agenda pushing by a guy who helped turn Pizzagate into the conspiracy theory that it became.

Despite the fact that the Roseanne situation really isn’t analogous to this one, I don’t think Disney had any choice but to act and avoid the PR nightmare of specious comparisons which would feed into some particular persecution complexes. The fact that Cernovich pushed this knowing that this would be how and why things played out is also particularly distasteful.

Saw Ant Man and the Wasp a week ago, just never got around to commenting on it.   I liked it better than the first one.  Rudd, Lily, and Douglas have great chemistry together.  The antagonist was a little weak, although with great design and art direction.  I did appreciate it not being "FATE OF THE WORLD!" stakes and just about everyone's motivations made sense.  As of now, my ever changing ranking of the MCU goes like this:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  2. The Avengers
  3. Thor: Ragnarok
  4. Avengers: Infinity War
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy

6. Doctor Strange
  7. Captain America: Civil War
  8. Iron Man
  9. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2

11. Thor
  12. Captain America: The First Avenger
  13. Ant-Man
  14. Black Panther
  15. Spider-Man: Homecoming

16. Iron Man 2
  17. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  18. Iron Man 3

19. The Incredible Hulk
  20. Thor: The Dark World

I need to give Infinity War another watch again once it's released on Digital HD, I could see it going up or down a spot still.  I'd probably have the top 15 as B+ or better.  It's amazing how consistently good these movies have been.  Even the bottom tier has enjoyable parts and I could still sit down and enjoy them today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Saw Ant Man and the Wasp a week ago, just never got around to commenting on it.   I liked it better than the first one.  Rudd, Lily, and Douglas have great chemistry together.  The antagonist was a little weak, although with great design and art direction.  I did appreciate it not being "FATE OF THE WORLD!" stakes and just about everyone's motivations made sense.  As of now, my ever changing ranking of the MCU goes like this:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  2. The Avengers
  3. Thor: Ragnarok
  4. Avengers: Infinity War
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy

6. Doctor Strange
  7. Captain America: Civil War
  8. Iron Man
  9. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2

11. Thor
  12. Captain America: The First Avenger
  13. Ant-Man
  14. Black Panther
  15. Spider-Man: Homecoming

16. Iron Man 2
  17. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  18. Iron Man 3

19. The Incredible Hulk
  20. Thor: The Dark World

I need to give Infinity War another watch again once it's released on Digital HD, I could see it going up or down a spot still.  I'd probably have the top 15 as B+ or better.  It's amazing how consistently good these movies have been.  Even the bottom tier has enjoyable parts and I could still sit down and enjoy them today.

Nice list overall, but man that's some high praise for Ragnarok. Why do you have it over the likes of IW, GotG, CW and IM1? Obviously it's a subjective list but I have those 4 over Ragnarok fairly easily

25 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Nice list overall, but man that's some high praise for Ragnarok. Why do you have it over the likes of IW, GotG, CW and IM1? Obviously it's a subjective list but I have those 4 over Ragnarok fairly easily

I think part of the reason is Thor is an extremely hard character to make standalone movie for without it either being:

1. Too Serious

2. Too Campy

3. Too Ridiculous 

I think Thor Ragnarok is really really close to GotG in quality. In fact watching it you half expect Chris Pratt to make an appearance. I think it easily eclipses CW (Out of all of the most beloved Marvel movies I don't really understand why this one was so popular) and IM1. IW is a tough one. I like it a lot but there was something about Thor Ragnarok that made it just stand out more. 

21 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

7 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

From what I’ve heard, Gunn has previously addressed his twitter history. So I doubt Disney was entirely unaware of it. It just wasn’t general public knowledge and it recently came to light because of some agenda pushing by a guy who helped turn Pizzagate into the conspiracy theory that it became.

Despite the fact that the Roseanne situation really isn’t analogous to this one, I don’t think Disney had any choice but to act and avoid the PR nightmare of specious comparisons which would feed into some particular persecution complexes. The fact that Cernovich pushed this knowing that this would be how and why things played out is also particularly distasteful.

I mean his past wasn't a secret at all.  His movies, web series, posts on his blog, etc. were all out there and easily accessible.  They knew what they were getting into by hiring Gunn, and the second someone points it out 6 years later, they fire him?  I don't know.  I don't like what he said, but anyone could find this stuff about Gunn with even the most basic Google search.  Suddenly someone who made Pizzagate a thing and says Date Rape isn't real points out some old tweets and his life is ruined?

I say bring him back.  The decision was made too quickly.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

I mean his past wasn't a secret at all.  His movies, web series, posts on his blog, etc. were all out there and easily accessible.  They knew what they were getting into by hiring Gunn, and the second someone points it out 6 years later, they fire him?  I don't know.  I don't like what he said, but anyone could find this stuff about Gunn with even the most basic Google search.  Suddenly someone who made Pizzagate a thing and says Date Rape isn't real points out some old tweets and his life is ruined?

I say bring him back.  The decision was made too quickly.

Oh I agree, I don't think he should have been fired. He made some dumb comments, but on the flip side. He did leave the opening for someone to hit him with it, he shouldn't have been running his mouth.

• Acgott changed the title to The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast