The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast

Acgott

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Don’t want to second guess Marvel, but I feel like he ought to have been introduced first in a different Marvel movie before his intro movie.  Just for business reasons (generate interest in the character to lead to better “box office.”)

Iron Man 1 and Guardians 1 are proof of concept that previous character exposure is not a deterrent. Granted, GotG had an AMAZING trailer, but the MCU wasnt quite firmly established yet either, which Shang-Chi has to lean on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Iron Man 1 and Guardians 1 are proof of concept that previous character exposure is not a deterrent. Granted, GotG had an AMAZING trailer, but the MCU wasnt quite firmly established yet either, which Shang-Chi has to lean on. 

Just to try and play devil's advocate a little (I think your points are very good): The cast for GotG was a decent selling point. Probably not as much in this one. I think most people interested in a super hero movie knew who Iron Man was.

18 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Just to try and play devil's advocate a little (I think your points are very good): The cast for GotG was a decent selling point. Probably not as much in this one. I think most people interested in a super hero movie knew who Iron Man was.

People were skeptical of Chris Pratt because prior to that he was chubby doofus in Parks and Rec. Zoe Saldana was still an up in comer at the type, Batista was considered a bad hire because he was just another meathead wrestler who isnt the Rock, and Cooper was just voice acting. The cast, in hindsight, is phenomenal put it had a great deal of questions marks going into that flick. Pretty sure the whole reason they show Pratt shirtless in the trailer was to quell the he aint just a chubby idiot knock on him. 

It is hard to fathom right now, but Iron Man was not a well known comic property. It wasn't even a well liked comic property. He was bottom of the barrel prior to RDJ. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I think with casting too they are banking on China & Hong Kong to go see it. So it’d do fine. I like them getting back to their roots here though and taking a character no one really knows about and giving them the spotlight.

Had they known COVID was gonna happen they probably would’ve lined up some of their bangers to really get butts in seats.

But I’m so excited for this. Premise sounds great. And I really like the cast, I watched Kim’s Convenience a while ago so was already on board with Simu Liu. Think he’s a great fit for the limited bit I know of the character in the comics. Which is a lot of him being a good dude who helps out other team members.

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Iron Man 1 hit at the time when comic book movies were really starting to gain traction.   And it also had a good trailer.

GoG had a really fun vibe, and Marvel had gained enough trust that people were more willing to take a chance on unknown characters.

This looks okay, and the Marvel trust thing is there, but I dont think it will be a huge hit.   There is not much to grab casual fans.    I am not really excited about it.    I know nothing about the story and the MCU is kind of just reaching for ideas at this point.

20 minutes ago, 43M said:

Iron Man 1 hit at the time when comic book movies were really starting to gain traction.   And it also had a good trailer.

GoG had a really fun vibe, and Marvel had gained enough trust that people were more willing to take a chance on unknown characters.

This looks okay, and the Marvel trust thing is there, but I dont think it will be a huge hit.   There is not much to grab casual fans.    I am not really excited about it.    I know nothing about the story and the MCU is kind of just reaching for ideas at this point.

I think the casual fan has come to expect the blockbusters like CA: Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame, etc.  So this probably will be a letdown.

But i'm excited for it, because it's something different.  

Look, this can't go on forever.  At some point they have to stop because they run out of characters.  Unlike the comics, the actors and actresses age, and you have to phase out the character.  And when they're gone, you can't just recast them.

So just enjoy the ride, wherever it takes us.

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

Look, this can't go on forever.  At some point they have to stop because they run out of characters.  Unlike the comics, the actors and actresses age, and you have to phase out the character.  And when they're gone, you can't just recast them.

So just enjoy the ride, wherever it takes us.

I disagree with this and wish more of the actors could/would pass on the torch.

These characters are bigger than one actor.  

If/when we get a new really good comic book extended universe, my hope would be that they would use a Flash Point or time travel mega movie almost exactly like Endgame to send off the old actors/actresses and start fresh with new ones at the same time.

5 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

It really doesnt though

Was told it was. It doesn't matter, because Kevin F already confirmed it. But you didn't need to look at the toy to confirm that. If you're familiar with the comics it's obvious it's a mix of both characters. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

31 minutes ago, 43M said:

I get what you're saying.

You look at the last 4 years they put out movies, you had Black Panther (which had a broader appeal), Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame. So the stakes were raised probably the highest they'll go.

I think this is kind of a start of them trying to do slightly smaller films again, at least in a universal importance way. Like we'll get big event stuff like Multiverse of Madness and others. But they need to slow back down a bit to rebuild.

They probably waited too long to really put this button on The Ten Rings and The Mandarin's story, but I'm curious if they bring up that connection at all in the main trailer that'll go in front of Widow to get general audiences a bit more on board. Like I'd be shocked if they don't put out a trailer that is like "The Ten Rings are yadda, yadda, for a long time yadda yadda" over all the Iron Man ten rings stuff along with the other references. 

Story doesn't seem like anything brand new but does seem to be a nice fusion of Western and Eastern martial arts films set around a family story. I'm in on actual family drama (easy motivations) mixed with Mortal Kombat and a slew of great martial arts movies for visual and fighting styles. 

I think the hardest film I haven't been able to wrap my head around is Eternals. Like I have no idea how that will go and am pretty low on excitement for it in general. Yet there are reports that they think it's their best film they've ever done and they might be angling for awards...especially with Chloe Zhao probably winning a bunch more this year for Nomadland.

• Like 1

Floating theory about the rings/bracelets I wish I had thought of, is that they were originally from a dragon's fingers. That's why they're so large. Fin Fang Foom is supposed to be on the movie. Probably a connection. Also, I guess it's better they they aren't hand ornaments since the infinity gems were essentially that. Could come off as a discount version. I'm coming around on the shift. Mandarin probably got them from Fin Fang Foom centuries ago during affairs of conquest. That extended his life span? 

BTW, I hope they actually pronounce Shang Chi's name correctly with Chinese phonetics. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

• Acgott changed the title to The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast