The Marvel Cinematic Universe- X-Men 97 trailer (March 20)

Acgott

13 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

pretty much fresh out of the box talent, I like it. 

Say what you want about MCU and superhero movies overall, but the level of talent and variety in directors Marvel has hired the past few years has been really great. They hired a guy known for a killer clown movie to direct the spider-man movies and he killed it. They hired a goofy kiwi known for a vampire comedy to make Thor and he absolutely killed it and resurrected the character. They hired a Troma guy to make Guardians and he killed it. These out of the box hirings have really worked for Marvel, and I think it is because all of the different viewpoints they bring in. They are allowed to make their movies with their vision, and a lot of times that doesn't meet the standard vision of a superhero movie, and it works.

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Say what you want about MCU and superhero movies overall, but the level of talent and variety in directors Marvel has hired the past few years has been really great. They hired a guy known for a killer clown movie to direct the spider-man movies and he killed it. They hired a goofy kiwi known for a vampire comedy to make Thor and he absolutely killed it and resurrected the character. They hired a Troma guy to make Guardians and he killed it. These out of the box hirings have really worked for Marvel, and I think it is because all of the different viewpoints they bring in. They are allowed to make their movies with their vision, and a lot of times that doesn't meet the standard vision of a superhero movie, and it works.

Big exception is Peyton Reed, but that makes more sense now knowing how pivotal Ant-man was to the overall infinity saga arc. 

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

And while they need these movies to hit a few key points for the over arching narrative, they largely don't meddle with what these directors want to do with their movies either.  Early on it was a little restrictive for the looks and feel of the movies, but at some point they realized they need to let the directors direct their movie.

Just now, minutemancl said:

Say what you want about MCU and superhero movies overall, but the level of talent and variety in directors Marvel has hired the past few years has been really great. They hired a guy known for a killer clown movie to direct the spider-man movies and he killed it. They hired a goofy kiwi known for a vampire comedy to make Thor and he absolutely killed it and resurrected the character. They hired a Troma guy to make Guardians and he killed it. These out of the box hirings have really worked for Marvel, and I think it is because all of the different viewpoints they bring in.

Uwe Boll and Tommy Wiseau could direct a Thor movie and an Ant-Man movie and they would be considered just as good as the rest of the MCU movies.

They are allowed to make their movies with their vision, and a lot of times that doesn't meet the standard vision of a superhero movie, and it works.

They are NOT allowed to make their movies with their vision.  I don't know where you're getting this.  This is literally the least true thing.

Patty Jenkins
Edgar Wright
Ava DuVernay
Joss Whedon
Scott Derrickson
John Favreau (directing)
Matthew Vaughn
Alan Taylor

And that's just directors who have quit from the MCU. 

Just look at how many directors Star Wars has hired then replaced. 

Disney is the most restrictive studio out there.  They allow no vision.  Every single one of the aforementioned directors has mentioned how Disney didn't want to let them make their own movie.

Edgar Wright literally said, "I wanted to make a Marvel movie, but they didn't want to make an Edgar Wright movie." 

That is literally why they hire these no name directors.  They want people they can control completely and irrevocably. 

The new Candyman movie is going to be absolutely terrible.  You know it, I know it, Disney knows it. 

I know it sounds like I'm being aggressive with you, but I'm really not trying to be.  I just don't know why people think directors are given a lot of freedom to make a movie that speaks to their vision with Marvel movies.

Every single one looks exactly the same.  Every one.  You're not getting some auteur's vision with any Marvel movie. 

The only reason Thor: Ragnarok felt different was because Waititi snuck some improvised lines into the script and Disney allowed it (because not even Disney is dumb enough to restrict his comedic genius). 

There is nothing stylistically that separates Endgame from Iron Man. 

You must obey your Disney overlords, and if you obey them implicitly you will get a chance to make your own movie somewhere else.  That's all Marvel is.  It's a job that fast tracks you to bigger budgets.  There is no creativity involved except for what Disney dictates. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Uwe Boll and Tommy Wiseau could direct a Thor movie and an Ant-Man movie and they would be considered just as good as the rest of the MCU movies.

They are NOT allowed to make their movies with their vision.  I don't know where you're getting this.  This is literally the least true thing.

Patty Jenkins
Edgar Wright
Ava DuVernay
Joss Whedon
Scott Derrickson
John Favreau (directing)
Matthew Vaughn
Alan Taylor

And that's just directors who have quit from the MCU. 

Just look at how many directors Star Wars has hired then replaced. 

Disney is the most restrictive studio out there.  They allow no vision.  Every single one of the aforementioned directors has mentioned how Disney didn't want to let them make their own movie.

Edgar Wright literally said, "I wanted to make a Marvel movie, but they didn't want to make an Edgar Wright movie." 

That is literally why they hire these no name directors.  They want people they can control completely and irrevocably. 

The new Candyman movie is going to be absolutely terrible.  You know it, I know it, Disney knows it. 

I know it sounds like I'm being aggressive with you, but I'm really not trying to be.  I just don't know why people think directors are given a lot of freedom to make a movie that speaks to their vision with Marvel movies.

Every single one looks exactly the same.  Every one.  You're not getting some auteur's vision with any Marvel movie. 

The only reason Thor: Ragnarok felt different was because Waititi snuck some improvised lines into the script and Disney allowed it (because not even Disney is dumb enough to restrict his comedic genius). 

There is nothing stylistically that separates Endgame from Iron Man. 

You must obey your Disney overlords, and if you obey them implicitly you will get a chance to make your own movie somewhere else.  That's all Marvel is.  It's a job that fast tracks you to bigger budgets.  There is no creativity involved except for what Disney dictates. 

Most of those were phase 1, early phase 2, they've opened things up post Age of Ultron.  Now they will absolutely drop the hammer on anything that messes with the overarching narrative and the key points that need to be built for the long term story, but they've definitely loosened the reigns in the past 3-4 years.

4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Most of those were phase 1, early phase 2, they've opened things up post Age of Ultron.  Now they will absolutely drop the hammer on anything that messes with the overarching narrative and the key points that need to be built for the long term story, but they've definitely loosened the reigns in the past 3-4 years.

No they haven’t.  Not from a director’s vision standpoint.  Not from a tone standpoint.  There isn’t a single artistically unique MCU movie.  Not from pacing, plot, dialogue... 

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

No they haven’t.  Not from a director’s vision standpoint.  Not from a tone standpoint.  There isn’t a single artistically unique MCU movie.  Not from pacing, plot, dialogue... 

I'd agree on little differences movie to movie in pacing and plot (they're superhero movies; they're almost all going to be the same in those respects), but you're telling me Thor Ragnarok's dialogue wasn't unique? It was clever and a bit frenetic and totally in Taika's style. 

11 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I'd agree on little differences movie to movie in pacing and plot (they're superhero movies; they're almost all going to be the same in those respects), but you're telling me Thor Ragnarok's dialogue wasn't unique? It was clever and a bit frenetic and totally in Taika's style. 

Yeah, I acknowledged that.  It was the only one that managed to let a little bit of directorial style shine through.  Otherwise, the only stylistically different movies had been predetermined to be stylistically different, and Disney has made that clear from the start.

Even Ragnarok had a predetermined purpose.  Their biggest dud was Dark World.  How do you fix that?  Turn the third one fun.  

They wanted Captain America: The First Avenger to look like Rocketman?  Hire the director who directed Rocketman.

You cannot sit there and tell me they hired a director who has a single solitary feature length film on her resume, one that hasn’t even been released yet, due to their comfort in her vision.  She is a puppet.  

It’s all a wink/nod agreement with Disney.  You don’t start ****, you do what we say, we will make you names.  See the Russo brothers.  You start ****, we will fire you and bring someone in looking for a paycheck who knows how these things go and can meet a deadline.  See Phil Lord and that other guy on Solo.  Replaced by Howard.  See Derrickson on Dr. Strange.  Replaced by Raimi.

Directors are 100% being hired as a you do what we want and we’ll give you a budget for your own thing later.

Give him a director that isn't just trying to Schumaker it (in CBM director parlance) and I think he could actually knock this out of the park.  Also would be one of those actors with capable of the idiosyncrasies to pull off a low-key closeted Bobby Drake, which if they're going to explore that aspect (given where the comics have taken Bobby in the past decade), could really make the characterization iconic because it would show inclusion without having to resort to stereotypes - and would carry with a longer/greater theme of X-Men in general that the people who are "different" from us are all around us and most don't even know the difference (so why should they be treated differently when you're suddenly made aware of their mutancy if it doesn't actually hurt you directly?).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Acgott said:

The source is we got this covered. I’ll say we can confirm It’s not happening 

is it me or are they popping up more frequently and more prominently lately? Like not in a they are actually reporting better sense but in a their big timing headlines are actually catching them those extra link bait clicks. 

Since my wife has only probably seen half the Marvel movies, we had decided we're going to go through them all again in chronological order and kinda rank them as we go. Thought it would be fun. We just finished the first Avengers.

Honestly? Iron Man 2 wasn't as bad as I remember. Of course it had it's terrible moments, but all in all it isn't as bad as I remember. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Since my wife has only probably seen half the Marvel movies, we had decided we're going to go through them all again in chronological order and kinda rank them as we go. Thought it would be fun. We just finished the first Avengers.

Honestly? Iron Man 2 wasn't as bad as I remember. Of course it had it's terrible moments, but all in all it isn't as bad as I remember. 

honestly I think all of them stand the test of time besides Hulk and Dark World

4 hours ago, Acgott said:

The source is we got this covered. I’ll say we can confirm It’s not happening 

Which is disappointing...because I wouldn't hate Labeouf as a closeted/eventually open Iceman.