The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast

Acgott

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

Awkwafina is a main character in Shang-Chi, this sentence is invalid. 

haha I have zero doubt she will be great, but you have to admit that Shang-Chi could turn into a Kat Dennings in Thor type situation very easily. Not comparing the two actors, but that situation where she might be the only one doing that and feel like she is in a separate movie than everyone else. I hope not, but that is a potential reality we may run into

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

haha I have zero doubt she will be great, but you have to admit that Shang-Chi could turn into a Kat Dennings in Thor type situation very easily. Not comparing the two actors, but that situation where she might be the only one doing that and feel like she is in a separate movie than everyone else. I hope not, but that is a potential reality we may run into

Fair enough. Kat Denning in Dark World is the only thing tolerable to me in that flick but I know I am in the minority on that. From the clip of Black Widow we got, it seems like the standard MCU humor is gonna be there:

49 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

So the two obvious parallels to draw in the MCU with the first look and now this first trailer are Guardians and Inhumans. Two completely opposite ends of the spectrum obviously, but to go off just what we have seen, Eternals feels like its currently falling further on the Inhumans end.

The seriousness of this feels like alittle much for such an unknown property. And while the cast is absolutely spectacular, if it doesnt have the fun and heart like the Guardians had, we could see alot more casual viewers waiving the white flag on continuing the MCU watch along, and feeling like they need to see everything.

Especially if Black Widow and Shang Chi are less connected to the overall Universe and/or more serious style films, it might make people want a break. Especially when we wont likely see the "rush back to the theaters" in November like we probably will in early Fall.  

And people may just say" Ill wait till Spider-Man at Christmas" to have a good time, certainly if Venom/Carnage is the most 'fun' of the group of the Comic Book films on the lead up.

These are all just potential pitfalls. We all trust Feige knows what he is doing, and as far as pushing the universe forward I have zero doubts. Im just questioning if this might be too much heaviness in a row for the MCU, especially since this will be the most "unknown" characters we have seen in a row since Phase 1.

Just feels like we might be walking into another fatigue spot like we had around Age of Ultron/Antman with the promise of Civil War already on the horizon.

Good points.  I think the success of this movie is going to be driven a lot by word of mouth.  If the script is there and it's a good movie, it's going to be a hit.  If it's an average or worse movie and they are just banking on the MCU to carry it, then it could be a "letdown" of sorts for Marvel Studios.  The cast, director, and MCU is bringing in a lot of cache into it, it all hinges on if the story is good.  I don't think it is nearly the gamble that Guardians was in that respect, there is quality all around attached to this movie.  They even got Ramin Djawadi for the score, so that has real potential as well.

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

These are my thoughts. Like MFers Thanos destroyed half the universe and he did it WHILE ON EARTH. Bro, what could this "until now" BS be? Its gotta be multiversal or time-line. Those are the only two things bigger that universal. 

Some ways to handle it 

• They could’ve been snapped or at least the bulk of them. The ones that live on earth went their separate ways for those 5 years. 
  • That could be the event they are talking about and they retcon in them stepping in like they did The Ancient One in Endgame.
  • Maybe they had something to do with getting Carol back at just the right time.
  • They were fighting something else.

I’m sure there will be some sort of reason given. Both actual earth battles happened so quick that it’s plausible enough the unknown characters not clued into what was happening wouldn’t have been able to get there in time to do anything. Like one was happening while the other half of the universe was getting blipped back, the other was a pretty quick battle in only recently revealed Wakanda. 
We could get a scene of them in that ship racing towards Wakanda and then all but 2/3 of them get dusted and they crash. 

It’s too big of a question to LBs left just hanging.

31 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

That could be the event they are talking about and they retcon in them stepping in like they did The Ancient One in Endgame.

31 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

They were fighting something else.

These are the two I would be most down with. 

Something I actually really want to see is: 

We know there are plenty of other super powerful entities in the universe, I want to see how some of them reacted to getting snapped.  Like, I want to see how a celestial or something along those lines reacted to getting dusted and then brought back.  Probably scared the crap out of them, which is something they are not used to.

I know nothing about the Eternals, and that trailer did nothing to intrigue me.    Its only a teaser...but still.

As I said...at this point, the only two MCU things Im looking forward to are SpiderMan, and to a lesser extent...Dr Strange.

rewatching the teaser I am actually getting a sense like meddling in 'mortal' affairs is considered beneath them a bit. The way they laugh at the end gag is less at Madden's expense and more with him as the idea was meant to be preposterous. 

On 5/24/2021 at 11:40 AM, THE DUKE said:

Good points.  I think the success of this movie is going to be driven a lot by word of mouth.  If the script is there and it's a good movie, it's going to be a hit.  If it's an average or worse movie and they are just banking on the MCU to carry it, then it could be a "letdown" of sorts for Marvel Studios.  The cast, director, and MCU is bringing in a lot of cache into it, it all hinges on if the story is good.  I don't think it is nearly the gamble that Guardians was in that respect, there is quality all around attached to this movie.  They even got Ramin Djawadi for the score, so that has real potential as well.

Definitely agree. Its not going to bomb or anything like that. And if its a good film, it will have a longer tail than most of the non-tent pole MCU films. But I just feel with this run up, and the long layoff for the movie goers, this may end up being one of the first real dips that the MCU has seen with these next couple of movies.

I only compared it to Guardians due to the ensemble casts and the relatively unknown characters. They are very different type of risks. I dont think they expected to end up with one of the best movies in the MCU when they set out with GotG, but I think they knew they had something fun/decent when they gave it to Gunn. This one feels like they might be going for one of the best "films" (for a lack of a better description) and they could fall short of that. Which even if they dont, it may end up falling short of the normal MCU box-office expectations

I'm glad the Eternals and Shang Chi coming up will force people to get out of their comfort zone. There are other aspects to Marvel other than the Avengers, mutants, or whatever was showcased on cartoons in the 1990's. :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

• Acgott changed the title to The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast