The Marvel Cinematic Universe- X-Men 97 trailer (March 20)

Acgott

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Taskmaster vs Clint in anything that's not bow-to-throwing-star range is an *** kicking. 

Easy to say except you’re overlooking one major point- Taskmaster fights dirtier than anybody.  So why would Hawkeye not use whatever he needs to win?  The MCU Hawkeye has been a monumental disappointment.  We haven’t seen how deadly he is in combat.  ANY object in his hands is a lethal weapon.  He could throw a pencil right between anyone’s eyes and lights out.  

8 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Easy to say except you’re overlooking one major point- Taskmaster fights dirtier than anybody.  So why would Hawkeye not use whatever he needs to win?  The MCU Hawkeye has been a monumental disappointment.  We haven’t seen how deadly he is in combat.  ANY object in his hands is a lethal weapon.  He could throw a pencil right between anyone’s eyes and lights out.  

Eh, that's a very recent development. Hawkeye as Bullseye kinda sucks.

Also Clint sniping Taskmaster would be a very uninspiring end.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

Bi or gay, sure could be. Honestly forgot about that scene because sexuality doesn’t really appear as if it’s important to that character at all. They aren’t shy about sexuality, so if it actually were a thing they cared about, they would have shown it. Wouldn’t honestly be surprised if he was written asexual, either. Either way, Incel? Nah. Not at all.

But more importantly to your main point, JJ3 started filming in June of ‘18, 9 months before Captain Marvel was released (and a month before it finished shooting). So I’m not sure how you think Salinger is supposed to be a stand-in for people who hated Captain Marvel for superficial reasons.

7 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

Bi or gay, sure could be. Honestly forgot about that scene because sexuality doesn’t really appear as if it’s important to that character at all. They aren’t shy about sexuality, so if it actually were a thing they cared about, they would have shown it. Wouldn’t honestly be surprised if he was written asexual, either. Either way, Incel? Nah. Not at all.

But more importantly to your main point, JJ3 started filming in June of ‘18, 9 months before Captain Marvel was released (and a month before it finished shooting). So I’m not sure how you think Salinger is supposed to be a stand-in for people who hated Captain Marvel for superficial reasons.

Yes, his sexuality seems entirely irrelevant. Which is why it's weird as hell that they shoehorned that scene in for no reason at all except to make a point.

Last Jedi came out in 2017. The other movie that I referenced.

So you think Disney got its revenge on people who didn’t like The Last Jedi for superficial reasons by telling writers of a marginally popular Netflix show, under completely different and entirely unrelated intellectual property, to make their villain a stand-in for those same people, two years later? But also to make the guy a genius, which really undercuts the whole insult? And also make it subject to that spoiler I mentioned earlier? And then the show doesn’t get renewed prior to that season even getting released, but that’s not announced (and probably even determined) until months after writing and shooting for that same season is finished?

That’s the theory you’re arguing here? I mean, there’s MRA angst associated with TLJ, but it’s not even close to the primary complaint people had. Gotta be honest man, this is a really bizarre take.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

So you think Disney got its revenge on people who didn’t like The Last Jedi for superficial reasons by telling writers of a marginally popular Netflix show, under completely different and entirely unrelated intellectual property, to make their villain a stand-in for those same people, two years later? But also to make the guy a genius, which really undercuts the whole insult? And also make it subject to that spoiler I mentioned earlier? And then the show doesn’t get renewed prior to that season even getting released, but that’s not announced (and probably even determined) until months after writing and shooting for that same season is finished?

That’s the theory you’re arguing here? I mean, there’s MRA angst associated with TLJ, but it’s not even close to the primary complaint people had. Gotta be honest man, this is a really bizarre take.

You're going to sit here and make the argument that you think Disney was unaware that it was going to be cancelling these shows? They've launched their own streaming service. The second that Defenders failed, the entire rest of the Netflix deal became a run out the clock scenario. They'll get transitioned to the Disney streaming service and it's all going to be over. This has been in the cards for longer than the writing of JJ3.

And I don't think it was a large overarching corporate conspiracy. I think the writers of the show viewed the people who ridiculed TLJ writers (their peers in the company) as a legitimate societal problem worthy of attacking in this medium. And no one stopped it because nobody cares and some probably view it as legitimate criticism.

That doesn't mean it's anything more or less than a bunch of folks getting up in their feelings about strangers on the internet criticizing them. 

I, again, go back to the question, why was he a genius? He got caught because he decided to start monologuing. He challenged a super hero to a wrestling match. There's no way to make this a compelling story without making him somewhat competent, the only way you can do that is by making him bright (at least in spots). He wasn't even smart enough to have his blackmail pictures automatically upload in the case of his arrest.

You're also going to tell me that Disney didn't have significant beef with the folks criticizing Last Jedi? Really? They absolutely viewed it as a problem. How many visible people in that company had public takes on it? How many journalist mouth pieces wrote about it?

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're going to sit here and make the argument that you think Disney was unaware that it was going to be cancelling these shows? They've launched their own streaming service. The second that Defenders failed, the entire rest of the Netflix deal became a run out the clock scenario. They'll get transitioned to the Disney streaming service and it's all going to be over. This has been in the cards for longer than the writing of JJ3.

And I don't think it was a large overarching corporate conspiracy. I think the writers of the show viewed the people who ridiculed TLJ writers (their peers in the company) as a legitimate societal problem worthy of attacking in this medium. And no one stopped it because nobody cares and some probably view it as legitimate criticism.

That doesn't mean it's anything more or less than a bunch of folks getting up in their feelings about strangers on the internet criticizing them. 

I, again, go back to the question, why was he a genius? He got caught because he decided to start monologuing. He challenged a super hero to a wrestling match. There's no way to make this a compelling story without making him somewhat competent, the only way you can do that is by making him bright (at least in spots). He wasn't even smart enough to have his blackmail pictures automatically upload in the case of his arrest.

You're also going to tell me that Disney didn't have significant beef with the folks criticizing Last Jedi? Really? They absolutely viewed it as a problem. How many visible people in that company had public takes on it? How many journalist mouth pieces wrote about it?

Your theory does seem like a pretty big stretch, i gotta say.  Occam's razor and all that, this is not the simplest explanation or one with the least amount of assumptions. 

It's more likely that one of the writers has encountered something similar in their own life and wrote it into the show.  That's how most people get their ideas - from personal experiences.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, theJ said:

Your theory does seem like a pretty big stretch, i gotta say.  Occam's razor and all that, this is not the simplest explanation or one with the least amount of assumptions. 

It's more likely that one of the writers has encountered something similar in their own life and wrote it into the show.  That's how most people get their ideas - from personal experiences.

Which somehow makes it less self indulgent?

On 7/3/2019 at 10:53 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's a massive between exploring an idea that interests you and lampooning the idea of an imaginary person who you felt was mean to you. 

If it’s imaginary, then why do you care? They’re not picking out anybody particular, in that case.

Talk about getting up in your feelings about strangers...

He’s an overconfident, megalomaniac, with high IQ. That’s pretty common fodder for villains in superhero stories (see: like 50% of superhero stories ever made).

You’re mad because he looks like an ordinary white dude and had like a line about JJ being feminist or something? Seems a bit of an overreach to say the least.

14 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

If it’s imaginary, then why do you care? They’re not picking out anybody particular, in that case.

Talk about getting up in your feelings about strangers...

Why do you care about anything? Especially a TV show? 

I care because the show was good at one point. I don't care a lot, but that's not my bar for posting things on this forum. Watching writers/studios/hollywood tell stories about things that only affect writers/studios/hollywood is boring and lame. 

I thought we might have finally been making some progress with the white-knighters calling everybody mad, but we're still here I guess. SMH. Come up with something new