The Marvel Cinematic Universe- X-Men 97 trailer (March 20)

Acgott

13 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Couldn't have Avengers fighting a major world threat without the X-Men getting involved, and X-Men couldn't have a major world threat without the Avengers getting involved. 

With multiple realities and timelines, the possibilities are endless.  What I would love to see is the crux being Wanda’s relationship with her father Magneto (who would be be the villain).  Some variation of House of M would be incredible.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Again... Multiverse

I really hope they dont go the multiverse route. It can get convoluted really quickly. Its fine in the comic format, but the movie's wouldn't benefit from it IMO. Sure it opens things up creativity because you can essentially do whatever you want, but IMO it would take away from what they built thus far as an interconnected movie universe. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I really hope they dont go the multiverse route. It can get convoluted really quickly. Its fine in the comic format, but the movie's wouldn't benefit from it IMO. Sure it opens things up creativity because you can essentially do whatever you want, but IMO it would take away from what they built thus far as an interconnected movie universe. 

I agree with this.  I think they have to keep it separate.  If they want to reboot the series and combine them, sure.  But at this point, any attempt to link the current MCU and mutants would be difficult to explain, and probably most people wouldn't buy into it.

4 hours ago, theJ said:

I agree with this.  I think they have to keep it separate.  If they want to reboot the series and combine them, sure.  But at this point, any attempt to link the current MCU and mutants would be difficult to explain, and probably most people wouldn't buy into it.

Perhaps.

I agree with not making it a multiverse.

The reason Doctor Strange didn’t do quite as well as some of the other Marvel movies, even though it was arguably one of the better ones... is because it’s less “fun” and more “intelligent/complex”.

Throw in complicated themes such as those and either you risk disappointing the intelligent viewer for the complexities being too “nonsensical” (like me?) or you risk alienating the children and “simple minded” people who aren’t looking for “Inception” when they watch a Marvel movie.

I think you have to merge the narratives though. Like someone else mentioned though, I would simply wait a solid 5-6 years before introducing mutants large scale (such as the X-Men).

On 5/10/2018 at 3:51 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

Problem with this is that it would still have to take place in the same universe.  Couldn't have Avengers fighting a major world threat without the X-Men getting involved, and X-Men couldn't have a major world threat without the Avengers getting involved. 

This happens all the time in the comics, though. Comic book universes for years have pretty much just been ignoring the "Why isn't X character/team getting involved?" No reason the movies couldn't do it either. And honestly, they already have. Iron Man so far has completely ignored a space ship landing in Greenwich, the destruction of SHIELD's home base, his own plane crashing on Coney Island, etc. Cap, Banner, and SHIELD seemed unconcerned with Iron Man's house getting blown up. Etc. These are a bit milder than what happens in the comics, but the point is that it's a medium that has long just ignored that issue. Either ignore it, or at most, loosely reference that they're busy elsewhere, and move on.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

This happens all the time in the comics, though. Comic book universes for years have pretty much just been ignoring the "Why isn't X character/team getting involved?" No reason the movies couldn't do it either. And honestly, they already have. Iron Man so far has completely ignored a space ship landing in Greenwich, the destruction of SHIELD's home base, his own plane crashing on Coney Island, etc. Cap, Banner, and SHIELD seemed unconcerned with Iron Man's house getting blown up. Etc. These are a bit milder than what happens in the comics, but the point is that it's a medium that has long just ignored that issue. Either ignore it, or at most, loosely reference that they're busy elsewhere, and move on.

Comics are a niche group of fans that know they are signing up for this. In movies, heroes band together when there is a large enough threat. Small scale stuff like Stark’s house blowing up or even a beef between Cap and the government isn’t large scale. But if the entirety of the human race is in peril via the Chitari and Loki or robots or Thanos... it’s hard to simply just ignore it.

Your second point though has merit, with regard to a simple explanation.

Personally I would create a narrative around the fact that after Doctor Strange travels back into the past, he causes genetic ramifications through history/time that causes the X-Men to exist in current MCU. Then I would simply like you said, explain their absence.

Only I would play offense and explain that they HAVE been involved in many of the major events from Captain Marvel’s 90s (Magneto and Xavier) to the first two Avengers movies (Classic X-Men). Only Xavier having erased the minds of all those involved because of his belief that “the world isn’t yet ready for mutants” (they barely accept superheroes), so they operate in secret until an event exposes their secret for the world to see.

Apocalypse and his four Horseman fighting the New Avengers could be a great way to do it. Could tie his origin story to Doctor Strange going back in time and the repercussions being genetic mutation to Apocalypse, the worlds first mutant. Which would then ultimately set up a potential New Avengers movie vs X-Men storyline.

At this point I’m sure the Avengers might be growing stale at the box office, so the X-Men winning would allow us to take a break from the Avengers franchise for a few years before going back to it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm not a fan of his.  Wish they would have gone with more of an unknown or up and comer.  

I wish they would have brought back Michael Keaton and the Vulture. He has been the best villain IMO since William DaFoe.