Seattle Violated Concussion Protocol with Russell Wilson

JaguarCrazy2832

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

That seems like a surprisingly light penalty?

I don't think there is discretion in this. I may be wrong but I think the penalties are specifically set out in the protocols. This is the fine for a first violation and it goes up for subsequent violations.

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

A) Brady has a concussion, fails to go through the protocol

B) Wilson may have had a concussion, fails to go through the protocol

You're right, there is a small difference

I believe Wilson was cleared a few minutes later so it's safe to say he didn't have one.

Brady, who knows but there isn't any evidence he had one so you can't punish hi...what am I saying? This is the NFL.

6 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Luck played through a concussion in the same game he got it yet sat out the next week and the NFL didn't care in the slightest either. This is only being punished because the media caught on to it when it happened.

I'm not sure I see Wilson getting punished for this. It's on the team to tell him that he needs to sit out, and force him to if necessary.

I also see the league coming down hard on the Seahawks. It feels like we get a story every 6 months about the Seahawks violating the rules, and the league will need to be harsh to get Pete to stop thinking he can ignore the rules all the time.

5 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

A) Wilson is pulled off field by head referee and there is video evidence of him not going through the concussion protocol before returning to the field.

B) Brady's wife makes an offhand comment on a morning TV show months after the season is over.

NFL Spokesman Brian McCarthy

The NFL and NFLPA have conducted comprehensive evaluations of the Concussion Protocol as it applied to Tom Brady during the 2016-17 season.  This review included an examination of all game film from every Patriots’ game last season, every report from the Unaffiliated Neurotrauma Consultants and Booth ATC Spotters assigned to those games and Mr. Brady’s medical records, which were produced pursuant to a release signed by Mr. Brady.

This review identified no evidence of any deviation from the Protocol by the Patriots’ medical staff or the Unaffiliated Neurotrauma Consultants assigned to Patriots’ games or any indication that Mr. Brady sustained a concussion or reported signs or symptoms consistent with having sustained a concussion. We appreciate the cooperation of the Patriots’ medical staff in conducting this review.

But yeah, definitely the same thing.

38 minutes ago, mse326 said:

I don't think there is discretion in this. I may be wrong but I think the penalties are specifically set out in the protocols. This is the fine for a first violation and it goes up for subsequent violations.

Interesting to see what the NFL does, for sure. If it is just that monetary penalty, it will be interesting to see if other teams "forget" about the concussion protocol because that's even less than a slap on the wrist, tbh.

37 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

A) Brady's wife speculates he had a concussion no video proof found where he might have had to go through protocol during the season.

B) We see on a nationally televised TNF that they skip the protocol after the official sends him off the field to go through it. 

Not even close to the same thing.

Yeah, the violation has nothing to do with whether or not Wilson had a concussion or not. It's purely in regards to whether or not the team and player followed the protocol or not. That's the difference between this and Brady. They were supposed to go through the protocol here and didn't. Even if it was just to clear him to play, that's still important.

Oh no a player lied about an injury...It's not like every single player hasn't done that before. 

This is a non-issue but the seahawks should get fined/lose a draft pick because the NFL has to keep up the appearance they "Care" about player safety. Not because it's the right thing to do, to act like they're doing the right thing.

Archived