> 2023 NCAA Draft Prospects Thread <

Kiltman

33 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Just don't understand where this obsession with taking 1st round RBs came from? Like all of a sudden? Thought we were a smart forum here.

I'll always crush on a great RB prospect and bottom of the 1st is barely a first rounder.

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

Drafting someone that plays a real position so I can get the 5th year on them.

Yeah, the 5th year on a RB is definitely not the great value asset other positions are, especially if you hit on them. I think if Bijan was as great as I think he can be here, then he could definitely get a 2nd contract like Westbrook and McCoy did. Him playing here from his 21 year old season (he's still 20 until next year). Having him play his 21-24 year old years on a rookie deal and then a 5th year option + big money extension or trading him for a huge offer if they decide the money is too much. I think he would be super valuable as far as competing over the next several years, especially if we end up committing to Hurts. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Just don't understand where this obsession with taking 1st round RBs came from? Like all of a sudden? Thought we were a smart forum here.

This forum pimped one of the worst WRs ever drafted in the first round so let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves here. 

Bijan is a stud - if we’re picking late in the first and he’s there he should absolutely be an option. 

16 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Hypothetical:

Eagles get to or win the Super Bowl.... we are picking 30th or 31st. Bijan is available. 

What are you doing?

If we are that good, fine.
I’m always in the 2nd round to 3rd round RB camp. But it would undoubtedly make this team better. Though similar situations seem to not work out as much, it usually better to invest elsewhere.

An actually really good to great RB in this offense would be awesome to see. Miles just doesn’t quite have it all together.

You just can’t sign a RB to a second contract. It’s such poor cap management. Everyone that does it makes a mistake. Maybe it makes sense late in the first round for average per year salary but you better have EVERYTHING else in place. (Even then I’d like to bolster a more important position) And you better nail the pick. At 4-5M a year for 4 years, cool. Once that dude wants a second contract, you have a 18-20M RB that’s quickly getting old. McCaff, Elliot, Henry, Kamara, etc. are just problems I don’t want. Get a guy in the 2nd, run him to the ground for 4 years, let someone else pay him. Repeat. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

You just can’t sign a RB to a second contract. It’s such poor cap management. Everyone that does it makes a mistake. Maybe it makes sense late in the first round for average per year salary but you better have EVERYTHING else in place. (Even then I’d like to bolster a more important position) And you better nail the pick. At 4-5M a year for 4 years, cool. Once that dude wants a second contract, you have a 18-20M RB that’s quickly getting old. McCaff, Elliot, Henry, Kamara, etc. are just problems I don’t want. Get a guy in the 2nd, run him to the ground for 4 years, let someone else pay him. Repeat. 

You can trade that RB though.
I Wonder what Caff, Zeke, Henry, etc would have gotten in trade comp had their teams traded them in their 4th year?

If you draft Jonathan Taylor at say pick 28, get 3 great years out of him, then trade him for a 2nd- that worked out pretty well. And I'm guessing multiple teams would give the Colts a 1st for Jonathan Taylor after this season, assuming he still looks like a top 3 RB by the end of it. I agree you shouldn't give out huge 2nd contracts to RB's. If you have a star RB on a rookie deal, and it's time to either pay him or that RB holds out- trade that RB.

Edited by Jeezla

31 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

You can trade that RB though.
I Wonder what Caff, Zeke, Henry, etc would have gotten in trade comp had their teams traded them in their 4th year?

If you draft Jonathan Taylor at say pick 28, get 3 great years out of him, then trade him for a 2nd- that worked out pretty well. And I'm guessing multiple teams would give the Colts a 1st for Jonathan Taylor after this season, assuming he still looks like a top 3 RB by the end of it.

Only is he’s a stud. Only if you’re out of contention. And only if the other team is dumb enough to give you a top pick(s) AND pay the dude, who’s got half the tread left,  a brand new 100M (?) contract. It could happen but it’s dumb as hell.

I can’t remember any 1st round RBs that have had stellar careers, got a 2nd contract with the same team and continued to play at a high level for 4-5 years after. It just doesn’t happen much at all. 

19 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I can’t remember any 1st round RBs that have had stellar careers, got a 2nd contract with the same team and continued to play at a high level for 4-5 years after. It just doesn’t happen much at all. 

If you are stellar/high level for 9 to 10 years, you are probably in the HoF. It doesn't happen much at any position, especially outside of QB, K, and OL.
If you get 3 or 4 stud years from a RB, I think that's enough to justify a 1st. You just can't take people that don't actually improve the team, like Reagor or Danny Watkins or Daniel Jones.
That being said, you probably shouldn't take a RB in the top 20 picks. 20-32, go for it. Top 20 you should be looking elsewhere unless it's a Saquon caliber prospect, and if you are picking top 10, RB is off the board, even if it's a clone created from the DNA of Bo Jackson and Barry Sanders.

Edited by Jeezla

As far as the Eagles taking a RB in the 1st goes, it's probably not the best idea. I think we should take another stud OT to be our Dillard replacement/Swing Tackle, and eventually take over for Lane. We can get by (and then some) with the 15th best RB when we have the best run blocking OL.

1 (NO) DE
1 OT
2 RG
3 DT
4 DE
5 S

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

As far as the Eagles taking a RB in the 1st goes, it's probably not the best idea. I think we should take another stud OT to be our Dillard replacement/Swing Tackle, and eventually take over for Lane. We can get by (and then some) with the 15th best RB when we have the best run blocking OL.

1 (NO) DE
1 OT
2 RG
3 DT
4 DE
5 S

Yeah they should keep feeding that beast. Getting a guy who could play RG next to Lane and can play outside if needed would be a smart add. There are some guys on the roster who could be that for them but a role that they can improve on for sure.

6 hours ago, Jeezla said:

If you are stellar/high level for 9 to 10 years, you are probably in the HoF. It doesn't happen much at any position, especially outside of QB, K, and OL.
If you get 3 or 4 stud years from a RB, I think that's enough to justify a 1st. You just can't take people that don't actually improve the team, like Reagor or Danny Watkins or Daniel Jones.
That being said, you probably shouldn't take a RB in the top 20 picks. 20-32, go for it. Top 20 you should be looking elsewhere unless it's a Saquon caliber prospect, and if you are picking top 10, RB is off the board, even if it's a clone created from the DNA of Bo Jackson and Barry Sanders.

I can think of a ton of non QB, OL, K that have been stellar and continued to be after their second contract with the team that drafted them. RBs however? Barely a one. 

A quick glance last 10 years mid to late first round RBs:  

Melvin Gordon 

Rashaad Penny

Sony Michel

Josh Jacobs 

CEH

Najee Harris 

Travis Etienne 

Yuck. Maybe three good years between them all?