> 2023 NCAA Draft Prospects Thread <

Kiltman

20 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Bryce Young and CJ Stroud. yeah yeah yeah. Just don't forget about The Jurk or Devin Leary in case we're stuck drafting QB3.

For our sake let’s hope all 4 have great 2022s. More QBs the merrier. Richardson from UF could definitely be a top guy in this draft if he has a good year too, 10/10 tools, TBD if he can actually play.

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

For our sake let’s hope all 4 have great 2022s. More QBs the merrier. Richardson from UF could definitely be a top guy in this draft if he has a good year too, 10/10 tools, TBD if he can actually play.

Richardson is very much potential at this point I think.

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Hopefully in 5 years the Jets use their franchise tag on Garrett Wilson, and Sauce signs with us as a FA.

Speaking of signing DBs in FA. I think with the drafting of Daxton Hill with their first round pick there could be a good chance the Bengals let Jessie Bates walk in FA after this franchise tag if they are still apart on what both sides think he's worth. I know a lot of Eagles fans wanted us to get him this off-season if possible before the Bengals franchised him. Doubt they do that two years in a row.

21 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

So Jordan Addison is leaving Pitt because USC offered him 3 million a year in NIL deals?

ha

Wild times, NCAA oldheads are gonna meltdown over this stuff.

I say NFL moves the eligibility down a year. Would even the playing field for the non-mega programs. Like yeah you could go to those big guys and get a little more money, but you can come here and start and leave for the NFL after two years of good tape and make way more. Would also help chip away at BAMA and the SEC’s dominance. Does a kid really want to go there and sit for 2/3 years, especially when they could already be in the league had they gone elsewhere.

Player empowerment wise it gives them more choice in their future, also gives them two years to play the field, either in the transfer portal or with an extra decision year of coming out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I say NFL moves the eligibility down a year. Would even the playing field for the non-mega programs. Like yeah you could go to those big guys and get a little more money, but you can come here and start and leave for the NFL after two years of good tape and make way more. Would also help chip away at BAMA and the SEC’s dominance. Does a kid really want to go there and sit for 2/3 years, especially when they could already be in the league had they gone elsewhere.

Player empowerment wise it gives them more choice in their future, also gives them two years to play the field, either in the transfer portal or with an extra decision year of coming out.

Would you allow someone who was a Redshirt Freshman to still declare? Or would they have had be a true Sophomore?

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Would you allow someone who was a Redshirt Freshman to still declare? Or would they have had be a true Sophomore?

They could declare, just obviously for them it’s tougher without that extra year of tape. Up to the NFL teams to scout.

I don’t think the list would be as long but guys like Trevor Lawrence, Stingley could’ve just gone to the league after year 1/2.

Ethically I don’t root for any restriction, if a kid is so ridiculously talented he could go right to the league all the power to him. That would be ridiculous but like do we really need to let some college reap the benefits of winning the Arch Manning sweepstakes for 3 years? For QBs it could be a benefit to leave sooner, most of these guys have to spend some time deprogramming college habits. More risk and projection coke with it but everyone is adults, just maybe add a point kids can opt out to go back and you’re good.

Obviously the NCAA is great for the NFL, they are a free feeder program, so you can’t totally chop them off at the knees. But 2 years until they are eligible for the BFL is a nice happy medium. The bulk of guys are still gonna stay the course and do the whole thing, but gives those that don’t need it the option. I do really like the idea of tipping the scales against the SEC too.

4 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

They could declare, just obviously for them it’s tougher without that extra year of tape. Up to the NFL teams to scout.

I don’t think the list would be as long but guys like Trevor Lawrence, Stingley could’ve just gone to the league after year 1/2.

Ethically I don’t root for any restriction, if a kid is so ridiculously talented he could go right to the league all the power to him. That would be ridiculous but like do we really need to let some college reap the benefits of winning the Arch Manning sweepstakes for 3 years? For QBs it could be a benefit to leave sooner, most of these guys have to spend some time deprogramming college habits. More risk and projection coke with it but everyone is adults, just maybe add a point kids can opt out to go back and you’re good.

Obviously the NCAA is great for the NFL, they are a free feeder program, so you can’t totally chop them off at the knees. But 2 years until they are eligible for the BFL is a nice happy medium. The bulk of guys are still gonna stay the course and do the whole thing, but gives those that don’t need it the option. I do really like the idea of tipping the scales against the SEC too.

Does the NIL deals really effect someone like Arch Manning who comes from an affluent family?

I always figured he would play at Ole Miss

24 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Does the NIL deals really effect someone like Arch Manning who comes from an affluent family?

I always figured he would play at Ole Miss

Probably not.. would like it for the other side, in terms of how image and legacy focused they are… I’m sure they’d love extra time to design where he goes. Just is the only current High Schooler I could think of who we already know is going to be a top pick whatever year he comes out.

3 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Great take Kilt!

I had been thinking this way for the longest time that it should be more like NBA. I say the league shouldn't allow players to come out after just 1 year cause I don't feel like that's old enough for a football player like maybe there are a few that could do it, but making that transition is hard even for 21-23 year olds. Let alone a 19 year old. I think 2 years would be fair. There are definitely special players that are ready after 2 years. Look at Micah Parsons and Ja'Marr Chase for examples who skipped the season after their 2nd year in college and stepped into the NFL after just doing personal training on their own and they were rookies of the year.

I mean players will still get grades from the College Advisory Committee after 2 years and they'll probably be tougher on 2 year players than 3 or 4, so if they get a bad grade they can just return back to school. If they chose to come out with a bad grade, then that's on them.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Great take Kilt!

I had been thinking this way for the longest time that it should be more like NBA. I say the league shouldn't allow players to come out after just 1 year cause I don't feel like that's old enough for a football player like maybe there are a few that could do it, but making that transition is hard even for 21-23 year olds. Let alone a 19 year old. I think 2 years would be fair. There are definitely special players that are ready after 2 years. Look at Micah Parsons and Ja'Marr Chase for examples who skipped the season after their 2nd year in college and stepped into the NFL after just doing personal training on their own and they were rookies of the year.

I mean players will still get grades from the College Advisory Committee after 2 years and they'll probably be tougher on 2 year players than 3 or 4, so if they get a bad grade they can just return back to school. If they chose to come out with a bad grade, then that's on them.

Yeah especially with things opening up money wise, NCAA can’t clutch their pearls anymore and feign horror at guys making a buck off their own name. So guys should be allowed back in if they want. 

Yeah 2 is a sweet spot. You’ll still get the Joe Burrows of the world who don’t put it together until year 4, but you might also get those guys showing up sooner do to juniors who could’ve left now getting out of the way or the super teams losing some of their shine with talent going to more than 1/12 the teams in D-1. Which to me would help the NCAA… imagine a world where it’s not Alabama, Georgia/LSU, Ohio state and other like every year. Especially if they expand the playoffs, which would help fix their “opt out issue”, 

• Like 1