> 2023 NCAA Draft Prospects Thread <

Kiltman

18 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I don't disagree, but I also think that if we pass on him, he might be the type of player we don't want to take a risk on but a rival team does and it works for them and it becomes a torn on our side for years. Like Dez.

Ya. And we could take him and all the red flags could come true and he could bust. Lots of different possible outcomes out there.

His interviews will be extremely important. If he can't dispel the red flags on visits to team facilities or if he interviewed poorly at the combine he could drop far.

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Ya. And we could take him and all the red flags could come true and he could bust. Lots of different possible outcomes out there.

His interviews will be extremely important. If he can't dispel the red flags on visits to team facilities or if he interviewed poorly at the combine he could drop far.

He could, but I have no way of knowing because we are never the team taking the risk. I used to be very frustrated that we never took chances on players with supposed character red flags and we always went for the mild mannered, high floor guys. I hope those days are behind us.

I was a "for sure draft him" as recently as yesterday, now I'm not so sure. But if we pass on him I hope he doesn't go to a rival.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

With Sirianni, IMO it's not really so much the "character" but Jalen Carter seems like he doesn't have that mindset. Doesn't seem like a dog, super competitive, avoids challenges and things that could make him look bad.

I'm sure all of those "concerns" can be answered in a 5-10 minute conversation with Nakobe and Jordan. 

He looked just fine as a Bulldog. 

6 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm sure all of those "concerns" can be answered in a 5-10 minute conversation with Nakobe and Jordan. 

He looked just fine as a Bulldog. 

He has dominate traits on tape but you can definitely find laziness in there too. The Ohio State game is a good example. This has gone from a concern to a serious red flag. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

He has dominate traits on tape but you can definitely find laziness in there too. The Ohio State game is a good example. This has gone from a concern to a serious red flag. 

Ohio State schemed against Carter specifically, much like UGA did the prior year with Hutchinson. I wouldn't hold that singular performance against what was a pretty dominant year by him. 

I'm not downplaying his pro day performance and whatever character issues he may have just stating I wouldn't put a ton of stock into the OSU game. 

1 minute ago, Scalamania said:

Ohio State schemed against Carter specifically, much like UGA did the prior year with Hutchinson. I wouldn't hold that singular performance against what was a pretty dominant year by him. 

I'm not downplaying his pro day performance and whatever character issues he may have just stating I wouldn't put a ton of stock into the OSU game. 

It's less the performance and more he just looked kinda like he didn't care that much in the game. Once he realized what was happening it felt like he got lazy to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

It's less the performance and more he just looked kinda like he didn't care that much in the game. Once he realized what was happening it felt like he got lazy to me.

I think conditioning is a big issue with UGAs front across the board because of how often they rotate guys in and out. I believe tOSU game was Carters highest snap count of the year so I'm sure fatigue was an issue.

Once again, not dismissing anything you're saying but there are factors that works in his favor when it come to tOSU game.

I'm a Jalen Carter guy (or was), I truly believe that he has the potential to be one of the best interior players in the NFL for a decade plus. However, the recent issues popping up are concerning. The red flags are certainly more prevalent than you'd like them to be - whoever drafts him will have to decide if it's short term thing or if it's something bigger. I'd still take him at 10 and wouldn't bat an eye but I definitely understand not wanting to and/if Howie decides not to. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

I think conditioning is a big issue with UGAs front across the board because of how often they rotate guys in and out. I believe tOSU game was Carters highest snap count of the year so I'm sure fatigue was an issue.

Once again, not dismissing anything you're saying but there are factors that works in his favor when it come to tOSU game.

I'm a Jalen Carter guy (or was), I truly believe that he has the potential to be one of the best interior players in the NFL for a decade plus. However, the recent issues popping up are concerning. The red flags are certainly more prevalent than you'd like them to be - whoever drafts him will have to decide if it's short term thing or if it's something bigger. I'd still take him at 10 and wouldn't bat an eye but I definitely understand not wanting to and/if Howie decides not to. 

Ya. I get what you're saying. Carter was my number 1 guy going into the process. Can't say I would hate taking him at 10, but yesterday I would have been ecstatic if that happened... now I have uncertainties. 

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan
  • Like 1

Don't give 2 💩 about the process.  Give me the player who for an entire year plus proved to be a Top 5 player in this draft! 

Not the Underwear or Pro Day Hero that made his stock jump 10 fold!!!!!!

Edited by Nabbs4u

With Jalen Carter I’m kinda just at the point where if they take him, even if they move up within reason, I’m confident in it.

They have a ton of vets, two of his teammates and interviewed his DC. They would’ve vetted the hell out of him, and have the locker room to sorta set him on the right path you’d hope.

It’s misinformation season, he’s not doing himself any favors but every team prior to this week would love for him to start falling to him.

5 hours ago, Kiltman said:

With Jalen Carter I’m kinda just at the point where if they take him, even if they move up within reason, I’m confident in it.

They have a ton of vets, two of his teammates and interviewed his DC. They would’ve vetted the hell out of him, and have the locker room to sorta set him on the right path you’d hope.

It’s misinformation season, he’s not doing himself any favors but every team prior to this week would love for him to start falling to him.

Being able to play with Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean would also really help him make the transition into the NFL.