> 2023 NFL Draft Prospects Thread <

Kiltman

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Kelee Ringo: safety? 🧐

I've pictured it. I think it's time for teams to ditch traditional safeties anyways. Just put a CB with size and decent tackling ability at safety. 

Edited by Jeezla

6 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

and a great safety net for slot CB when Maddox inevitably goes down.

That's where we disagree. I see him getting smoked trying to cover NFL slot WR's. I want him mostly operating in zone and reading the QB. If/when Maddox goes down, then we just need to have a better backup slot CB than Josiah Scott, which shouldn't be hard to find. If our safety is going to be covering slot WR's a ton, then we should draft Ringo or Brents or Rush or Trice, and put them at safety.

Edited by Jeezla

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Not gonna happen.

As I posted in another thread, Howie has had 7 drafts since he regained control from Chip Kelly.

The Eagles have spent 2 top 100 picks on a DB over those 7 drafts.

I feel like it gets overblown.

They had a pro bowl safety in Malcolm and a solid player in McLeod for more than half that.

They took Sidney and Rasul near the beginning of that, when they were also missing picks from the Wentz trade. So obviously needed to give them some time to hit. Hitting on Maddox in the 4th helped, as did Mills in the 7th. Also too swings on Zech and K’von right outside the top 100.

Traded a 3rd for Darby, traded a 3rd for Slay.

Also they were pretty locked in getting Surtain or Horn in the 21 draft.

I do think Howie would rather just pay a DB he knows is good rather than gamble your season on a 1st or 2nd year player putting it together fast. It’s one of the more bust prone parts of a team.  But him not valuing the DBs is a misnomer.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I feel like it gets overblown.

They had a pro bowl safety in Malcolm and a solid player in McLeod for more than half that.

They took Sidney and Rasul near the beginning of that, when they were also missing picks from the Wentz trade. So obviously needed to give them some time to hit. Hitting on Maddox in the 4th helped, as did Mills in the 7th. Also too swings on Zech and K’von right outside the top 100.

Traded a 3rd for Darby, traded a 3rd for Slay.

Also they were pretty locked in getting Surtain or Horn in the 21 draft.

I do think Howie would rather just pay a DB he knows is good rather than gamble your season on a 1st or 2nd year player putting it together fast. It’s one of the more bust prone parts of a team.  But him not valuing the DBs is a misnomer.

Yep, I don't think Howie trusts his ability to draft DB's, so he goes the FA / trade route.

Regardless, no doubt we are drafting a DL or OL at 10 if we don't trade back.

Now just gotta figure out who I will hate less, LVN or Skoronski.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

As I posted in another thread, Howie has had 7 drafts since he regained control from Chip Kelly.

The Eagles have spent 2 top 100 picks on a DB over those 7 drafts.

That's true, but we also know that the Eagles were heavily interested in the top corners each of the last 2 years. They just weren't picking high enough to snag guys like Sauce, Surtain, or Horn. I think we also had interest in McDuffie as well.

If it weren't for Chauncey overestimating his worth causing the Eagles to pivot and give that money to Bradberry then corner very well could've been the pick at 10. 

With Bradberry back the only possible way we probably get a DB in the first is Brian Branch at 30 if he's their clear BPA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

He was a beast at senior bowl practices, and too athletic not to take a chance on. The guy who went 1st overall last year was more workout warrior than player as well. As far as his length goes, he's longer than B Graham. If he loses 10 lbs, he'll basically be Justin Houston sized. Regardless, he's a unicorn athlete at DL, and those guys usually don't last long. Every NFL coach is going to assume they can coach him up better than Northwestern.

Part of me thinks it'd make more sense for him to gain a bit of weight and be a 3T. It feels to me like it suits his talents/skillset a bit better even if his measurables are a bit closer to an EDGE. Either way, he's gotta shrink or grow.

I don’t see the way the current CBs are structured that it means CB is off the board at 10. It’s entirely possible both could be gone year 3. We know Howie doesn’t draft often for year 1 starters. Or if he does, it’s not often he relies on them to be big contributors (or doesn’t get good year 1 production). I mean that’s really for any rookie. Maybe that’s a fault but I don’t understand the notion that he doesn’t value CB enough to draft one in the 1st. It’s a position he clearly invests A LOT of resources in. Does he understand that he may not be very good at drafting them? Maybe. But does Howie seem like a guy that would let past results fly in the face of logic and philosophy? 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I don’t see the way the current CBs are structured that it means CB is off the board at 10. It’s entirely possible both could be gone year 3. We know Howie doesn’t draft often for year 1 starters. Or if he does, it’s not often he relies on them to be big contributors (or doesn’t get good year 1 production). I mean that’s really for any rookie. Maybe that’s a fault but I don’t understand the notion that he doesn’t value CB enough to draft one in the 1st. It’s a position he clearly invests A LOT of resources in. Does he understand that he may not be very good at drafting them? Maybe. But does Howie seem like a guy that would let past results fly in the face of logic and philosophy? 

You mean the guy who drafted JJAW and then Reagor and still went back and drafted Devonta in 2021?

Spot on. Howie isn't going to get shy off some misses. If CB is at the top of the board we are taking a CB. I simply don't think either of the top corners are going to be there at 10 and the third best CB won't be BPA.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And then used a 1st and multiple picks to get AJ Brown.

I fail to see how this proves anything.

Howie has a history of missing and yet he still keeps swinging. He isn't going to let the history scare him from making a pick. It is well documented the Eagles wanted CB's in the past two drafts, they just haven't been in a good spot to take them. If the Eagles like one of the two CB's and they are there, they will take them. Will the be there and do they like them is the real question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I fail to see how this proves anything.

Howie has a history of missing and yet he still keeps swinging. He isn't going to let the history scare him from making a pick. It is well documented the Eagles wanted CB's in the past two drafts, they just haven't been in a good spot to take them. If the Eagles like one of the two CB's and they are there, they will take them. Will the be there and do they like them is the real question.

You're correct like the others said too. He's not shy just cause he missed a few times. Saying otherwise is just foolish. The proof is there many times over

QB class is really just two guys, Colts are locked in to take whoever of the other two comes to them, Balking at the Cards.

Arizona is desperate to get a trade.

The offer from the Eagles

• #10, & Next years 1st (middle of the round value) 

Sent back from the Cardinals 

• #3 and a 4th

They do this to take Jalen Carter, are you happy with it?

Eagles make it to the divisional that pick is a mid 20s or later pick, and you are gaining a late 2nd from the mid valuation.

4 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

QB class is really just two guys, Colts are locked in to take whoever of the other two comes to them, Balking at the Cards.

Arizona is desperate to get a trade.

The offer from the Eagles

• #10, & Next years 1st (middle of the round value) 

Sent back from the Cardinals 

• #3 and a 4th

They do this to take Jalen Carter, are you happy with it?

Eagles make it to the divisional that pick is a mid 20s or later pick, and you are gaining a late 2nd from the mid valuation.

I am good with this trade for sure.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I am good with this trade for sure.

Yeah even if they send a 5th (if they get one in the Dhop trade, I’m all good. Even just the 2 for 1 I’m fine. Carter hits he’s at the top of the league from the dline.