> 2023 NFL Draft Prospects Thread <

Kiltman

On 3/30/2023 at 9:55 AM, Kiltman said:

At a month out, yep I’m fairly sure they are taking Nolan Smith with their first pick.

Just ticks too many Eagles boxes.

Read an SI interview with him the other day, and it sounds like he’d also be very into coming here…not that that matters too much.

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Im Not Surprised Nate Diaz GIF by UFC

Aging as expected if true, even before looking at the board once we knew the combine and what happened in the league in free agency, he stood out as a Howie target. 

I think right now, unless Carter’s off field spooked them, think they are going to be in on moving up for him. If they can’t or are out Nolan at #10 is probably fine by them.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, downundermike said:

That would be horrendous to take Nolan Smith at 10.

I'm obviously not as knowledgeable as some in here. But given that Van Ness is being mocked to us too much, I think it could be worse.

I don't know if it is resignation but I've come around to Skorknski if he's the pick, because he would solidify the O-Line for the next generation and would solve swing tackle and guard at the same time. But my biggest problem with it is that given the current state of the defense, how the team has not gotten better in any level this year and the inability to see past the trenches; I'd want a top 10 pick to be a difference maker and someone who can be a cornerstone for the team for future. He'd be an immediate starter at least though.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I'm obviously not as knowledgeable as some in here. But given that Van Ness is being mocked to us too much, I think it could be worse.

I don't know if it is resignation but I've come around to Skorknski if he's the pick, because he would solidify the O-Line for the next generation and would solve swing tackle and guard at the same time. But my biggest problem with it is that given the current state of the defense, how the team has not gotten better in any level this year and the inability to see past the trenches; I'd want a top 10 pick to be a difference maker and someone who can be a cornerstone for the team for future. He'd be an immediate starter at least though.

I think there is a disjointed view on the draft this year. It’s really not a great first round, had the Eagles needed a QB (which is partially why they made the trade to get 10) they’d be in a good spot. Since that’s clearly no longer a need the rest is just shaky.

Like almost need to give a 4 to 7 + handicap on a lot of guys for where they will likely go and when they “should go”.

In a draft like that Howie is probably going to go blue chip trade up if he can swing it, if not he’ll probably continue the trend on focusing on leadership/dedication traits. It’s one of the better lessons he’s taken in it seems. Obviously you aren’t throwing out the talent, but if there are like graded guys think he’s learned to take the guy you have more confidence with neck up.

Watching Jalen’s press conference, Lurie talked about the abstract of how confident you are that a guy will reach and push past his ceiling. That Hurts is that type of guy and one of the bigger things they love about him. You look at Devonta, Landon and a lot of other guys they’ve taken the last two years since Hurts…it’s sort of a theme.

Nolan is that sort of guy. 

5 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I think there is a disjointed view on the draft this year. It’s really not a great first round, had the Eagles needed a QB (which is partially why they made the trade to get 10) they’d be in a good spot. Since that’s clearly no longer a need the rest is just shaky.

Like almost need to give a 4 to 7 + handicap on a lot of guys for where they will likely go and when they “should go”.

In a draft like that Howie is probably going to go blue chip trade up if he can swing it, if not he’ll probably continue the trend on focusing on leadership/dedication traits. It’s one of the better lessons he’s taken in it seems. Obviously you aren’t throwing out the talent, but if there are like graded guys think he’s learned to take the guy you have more confidence with neck up.

Watching Jalen’s press conference, Lurie talked about the abstract of how confident you are that a guy will reach and push past his ceiling. That Hurts is that type of guy and one of the bigger things they love about him. You look at Devonta, Landon and a lot of other guys they’ve taken the last two years since Hurts…it’s sort of a theme.

Nolan is that sort of guy. 

I mean yeah he is, but he has already gotten injured and undersized, so maybe that high character can overcome the lack of pass rush production but I hope we don't overcorrect like we usually do. 

There was a time during the late Andy Reid era that everyone was undersized, we are dangerously close on going that way again on defense. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I mean yeah he is, but he has already gotten injured and undersized, so maybe that high character can overcome the lack of pass rush production but I hope we don't overcorrect like we usually do. 

There was a time during the late Andy Reid era that everyone was undersized, we are dangerously close on going that way again on defense. 

Yep.  Get to many speedballz, and teams will just line up and run right at you.

6 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Nolan Smith at 10 is my nightmare - not sure how you guys can see him as a good pick at 10 but what do I know. 

Agreed  Workout warrior surrounded by tons of future NFL talent.

Weaknesses
  • Slender through waist and hips, with a need for more mass.
  • Unable to generate speed-to-power conversion.
  • Rush plan can be monotonous and lacking counters.
  • Squared up punch from tackle can derail his pass rush.
  • Unable to control block and shed quickly.
  • Exerts excessive strain to battle tackles at the point of attack.
  • Very average pursuit speed for a smaller player.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Open photo

Can you break down the Minnesota trade a little more? At a glance, Not a huge fan of this draft. Dalvin Cook is probably washed, but if you believe in him behind out line I guess it could make sense.

45 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

It really depends what the scheme is looking like. If you want him to shade over the tackle, yeah maybe not the best use for him. But if they are planning to balance the set with two guys on the edge that can play the rush, get pressure and drop into coverage a bit…his size is fine.

I’m with you on the wariness of Howie’s overcorrections. I like this streak of getting big school guys who also have that character/work ethic you want. Netted good results this far.