Pick 62 Bryan Cook SAF - Cincinnati
Pick 103 Leo Chenal LB - Wisconsin
Pick 135 Joshua Williams CB - Fayetteville State University
Pick 145 Darian Kinnard OL - Kentucky
Pick 243 Jaylen Watson CB - Washington State
Pick 251 Isiah Pacheco RB - Rutgers
Pick 259 Nazeeh Johnson CB Marshall

My Hot Takes

• McDuffie was one of the true 1st round talents. There was a siginificant drop off to the next best CB. We finally own a cover guy.
  • Karlaftis is still young and developing but he should own one of the DE positions. 
  • Skyy is a natural slot--Tyreek Hill's main position--and has a great catch radius. I also look for ST contributions.
  • Cook is a physical safetry and also a cerebral one. This could be the defense's new leader, before long.
  • Chanel is the best pick of a good draft. He's a bruising hitter and potentially a dynamite edge rusher. 
  • Williams is in the Chiefs' recent tradition of getting no-name DB and training them up. Long and toolsey but probably not this season.
  • Kinnard is yet another hitter. He won't push to start immediately like Tre Smith, but there is an attitude similarity.
  • Watson, Pacheco, and Johnson are ST and PS candidates.

The themes of this draft are defense and physicality. The days of the finesse zone-blocking OL were over when Tre Smith took ahold of RG. That attitude moved to the other side of the ball. Player after player will ring your bell, given half a chance.

Skyy Moore is a bit of an exception. He's older and more NFL ready than most rookies. He could be the team's best WR by December. Parallels to Brady and Welker or Edelman are obvious. Remember taht Welker was UDFA.

Edited by onejayhawk

I really like the draft, was pretty shocked at DB picks, but the cupboard was pretty bare.  I’m not a huge Karlaftis guy but certainly get the pick though Mafe was more “upside” to me.  Moore is someone I’m really hoping to be wrong in because I just wasn’t impressed.  LOVE the Chenal pick and is probably my favorite pick of the draft as well even though we may not see him every down.

I’m also excited about Mike Rose as a UDFA, I think he’s going to do some good things and contribute early in ST.

Edited by EMAW_KSU

I'm going to rearrange the list,   just in terms about how I'd rank each selection

Pick 21 Trent McDuffie CB - Washington
   *  If you asked me to pick 3 players in this draft, I absolutely wanted.   McDuffie would have been on there.    We couldn't have made another selection that could have topped this one,  for me.     I don't think he's quite Jaire Alexander,  but that's the type of talent he is.   Super versatile,  can play any technique we ask at a high level.   Still can't believe this one happened

Pick 135 Joshua Williams CB - Fayetteville State University
  *  Probably my 2nd favorite pick in this draft.   Might be a tad opportunist for some,   but I don't think he's far from contributing right away.   He was my favorite CB at the tail end of the 2nd group.   Reminds me quite a bit of James Bradberry (who we were connected to).  More limited than McDuffie obviously,  but I don't think he's far away from being a contributor.   Although I like Fenton,   I could definitely envision  McDuffie, Snead, and Williams eating up most of the snap counts later on in the year.\

Pick 30 George Karlaftis EDGE - Purdue
  *  Like I said in the draft thread,  not my favorite but he has some desirable skills.    He can slide in Day 1 and control his gaps.   Still have reservations on how high his ceiling is,   but if we get a solid to above average starter,   it is quite a bit better than what we had before.

Pick 62 Bryan Cook SAF - Cincinnati
    *  Huge fan of Cook.   He's too talented to play the Nickel Saf role,  but our luxury is that, right now,   that is all we need from him.     Will immediately upgrade the production in that spot,  but I think he will grow into a much better starter.     Super versatile,  no real weaknesses.. and he will bring an edge to the defense.  

Pick 103 Leo Chenal LB - Wisconsin
   * Without a doubt will be a force on ST's and the run game.   He was one of the safer picks at LB this year,  in that you know what he can do at a high level.    Still has some room to grow,    and he does have more twitch than most believe.   He has the athleticism to be good enough in coverage,   it does need work there though.    Again like I said in the draft thread,   even if he is a liability in coverage.. he's such an excellent blitzer,  that he still could have a place in subpackages.

Pick 54 Skyy Moore WR - Western Michigan
  * This seems low for Moore,   it's not as much as I don't like him..  as I just really like the guys above him.     I don't he'll ever be a guy defensive coordinators think too much about,  but he does have a role in a WR Room.   I will still stand with my Sterling Shepard comp.   He will be a productive player,  just never the guy imo.

Pick 243 Jaylen Watson CB - Washington State
   *  I've been saying all off-season how talented this DB Draft is,   and it seems Veach agreed.    Even more limited than Williams,  but Watson does have some nice traits.   Thought Watson was a 5th/6th Round guy,  so getting him this late was a slight shock.    Will have a long ways to go in terms of technique,   but he moves well for his size. 

Pick 145 Darian Kinnard OL - Kentucky
*   Yeah,  just wasn't a big fan of Kinnard.    Absolutely no issues with picking him where we did though.    I'm not too concerned about how the OL fit,    Andy (much like his RB's)   will find a way to make them work.    I do think Kinnard needs to drop some weight,    he loses his balance way too easily.. but the man does have some power when he catches you right.

Pick 251 Isiah Pacheco RB - Rutgers
* Likely a KR, or Practice Squad.    I don't think he's quick enough to be a consistent producer in the backfield.. but the man does have some wheels, and can make one guy miss pretty regularly.    He's typically too slow out of making that guy miss,  to make multiple though.

Pick 259 Nazeeh Johnson CB Marshall
*  Yeah---   I'm not even gonna act like I've heard/watched this guy.   Seems like a solid athlete.    His report says not much of a tackler..  though PFF grades him well.   Typically PFF is harsh on guys who miss tackles..   Look forward to seeing him on the field.

12 hours ago, kempus said:

This was a sensational draft for the Chiefs. Potentially sets us up very nicely for the next few years.

I agree, maybe not the sexiest group of players, but great fits, no reaching, trades all made sense.

I still have some research left to do. I don't do as much pre-draft prep as most of the rest of you here, I tend to wait until guys start getting mocked to us, and then drafted by us, and then do my research. But as it stands now, this is the most excited I've been about a draft class since '08, when Dorsey, Charles, and Flowers were three of my absolute favorite players in that entire draft. McDuffie, Karlaftis, and Moore aren't quite as highly rated as a trio for me right now, but I'm higher on Chenal, Williams, and Kinnard than I was on any of our late round picks back then.

And then beyond just the players, I think it's exciting to see the FO learn and diverge from their trends and tendencies. This is by far the most we've invested at CB since letting Peters walk. Karlaftis really doesn't conform to the normal physical profile of a Spags edge rusher. We traded down. For the first time in a Veach draft we selected more than 6 players, and used more draft capital and picks than we originally started out with. Year two of drafting a group of guys with a tougher reputation, shifting away from the finesse team style that got us really going in 2018.

And then just the move away from players the team just seemed too comfortable with. Had a ton of guys lingering around, with the whole "they know the scheme and the system" bit, despite clearly not being good enough for their roles. The team has been just kind of comfortable with Sorensen and Niemann and Robinson and Hitch and even a guy like Darrell Williams (though I know he's a favorite of some.) I'd even argue Watts or DOD or Wylie having relatively minimal pressure on their respective roster spots. And it feels like this draft and offseason will push the issue on that. Cook and Bush effectively pushed Sorensen and Watts off roster. Kinnard and Christian to keep us from settling for Niang or Wylie by default at RT. Adding Stallworth ensures a guy like Saunders has to earn his stay this year. McDuffie and Williams and Watson will push Baker, and let us move on from Hughes. We're no longer waiting for Robinson to stop running backwards, with Juju/MVS/Skyy on roster. Chenal and Carter and Lee and Rose to keep Hitch and Niemann and DOD off the depth chart. Anyone we've either been complaining about for years, or that we've had arguments about why are they on roster when they can't beat out the guys we are complaining about, are gone. With fresh young talent to replace. It sucks losing Mathieu, Hill, and Ward, but it's exciting that we've replaced any guy who has been a liability in recent years with a fresh face. They won't all pan out, but at least we're trying, and not just accepting another year with Niemann getting 400 snaps, Watts taking a roster spot when the team clearly does not see any upside on defense, and Robinson getting the second most snaps at WR because none of the rest of the depth is built to play outside.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kempus said:

This was a sensational draft for the Chiefs. Potentially sets us up very nicely for the next few years.

I'll stop short of sensational. I don't think we drafted multiple HoF players, which has been done more than once. As of now it looks very good and very solid.

It's worth noting that the team was very quiet in free agency. The big moves were to get MVS and JuJu. That made drafting a single WR possible.

For the rest, we stripped the defense to bare bones so that there are at least four jobs with assured playing time. Kicking teams need to be built from ground up. While there are seven main picks and ten in all, there is a slot available for each of them. 

3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

going through Chris Simms draft rankings, we got his number 2 corner, number 4 EDGE, number 4 Safety, number 3 LB, and he thought really highly of Skyy Moore.

He loves the Chiefs draft lol

Post a link. Simms is always worth considering.