2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

I still think that Darnold is the better prospect. I think that there's more upside there. They both present somewhat similar issues on the field (suspect judgment with careless INTs, for example), but Darnold is a guy who's had very little actual experience on the field at the quarterback position comparatively speaking. Started one year of High School, and now a little over one year of college. I think that a lot of what he is doing is growing pains. Rosen has immaculate mechanics, but obviously there are some attitude questions and a previous shoulder injury that Darnold does not have.  While some of his issues can be attributed to his bad supporting cast and how much he is under fire in the pocket (I think Josh Allen is the only major quarterback prospect this year who is under pressure more), you can say the same thing about Darnold this year in regard to some of that. I think physically, Rosen is a few ticks behind Darnold as well. 

46 minutes ago, Forge said:

I still think that Darnold is the better prospect. I think that there's more upside there. They both present somewhat similar issues on the field (suspect judgment with careless INTs, for example), but Darnold is a guy who's had very little actual experience on the field at the quarterback position comparatively speaking. Started one year of High School, and now a little over one year of college. I think that a lot of what he is doing is growing pains. Rosen has immaculate mechanics, but obviously there are some attitude questions and a previous shoulder injury that Darnold does not have.  While some of his issues can be attributed to his bad supporting cast and how much he is under fire in the pocket (I think Josh Allen is the only major quarterback prospect this year who is under pressure more), you can say the same thing about Darnold this year in regard to some of that. I think physically, Rosen is a few ticks behind Darnold as well. 

Can you elaborate on Rosen? I know he is outspoken, but the things I heard are that he will question everything because he is very intelligent. I view that as a positive almost if he is a true competitor who is always looking to learn and get better if he is constantly questioning 'why'. I think it could do wonders for his development.

Who makes more NFL throws and is more accurate? Whoever is the more accurate QB who has shown the ability to read through progressions better is the QB I would take. Those are my 2 biggest things you cannot teach. Consistency will come and can be taught, but you need to have a base to work off of with great accuracy and ability to read defenses. Physical tools are overrate IMO. Look at Paxton Lynch, Brock Osweiler, Christian Hackenberg, ect.

Who has the smarts, the accuracy and ability to read defenses and know where to go with the ball. Those are #1, #2 and #3. Physical traits come #4 and #5

Darnold is clearly the superior prospect in all dimensions of QB play except Rosen is more pinpoint accurate over the middle 20 yards and in.

The Rosen as "Manziel" off the field issues is the worst take and idiotic stuff out there on a prospect right now.

Have heard MKC and stupid/unknowledgeable media analysis on the matter.

ALL of it has to do with the hottakers not understanding that dissent isn't immaturity but maturity  and signs of a person that thinks about things and is not a sheeple.

Rosen made very public unfavorable comments about the now president (and far less reported about the Hillary as well) which rubbed authoritarian football types.

He also questions things when it comes to football, lives in california and loves women out there...

There are no substantial reports or evidence about Rosen drinking or even partying excessively.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Can you elaborate on Rosen? I know he is outspoken, but the things I heard are that he will question everything because he is very intelligent. I view that as a positive almost if he is a true competitor who is always looking to learn and get better if he is constantly questioning 'why'. I think it could do wonders for his development.

Who makes more NFL throws and is more accurate? Whoever is the more accurate QB who has shown the ability to read through progressions better is the QB I would take. Those are my 2 biggest things you cannot teach. Consistency will come and can be taught, but you need to have a base to work off of with great accuracy and ability to read defenses. Physical tools are overrate IMO. Look at Paxton Lynch, Brock Osweiler, Christian Hackenberg, ect.

Who has the smarts, the accuracy and ability to read defenses and know where to go with the ball. Those are #1, #2 and #3. Physical traits come #4 and #5

Rosen is definitely very intelligent, no issues there. He has been outspoken politically, which as @Mind Character states, rub the authoritarian types the wrong way. Matt Miller posted an article earlier (I think it was Miller) this year where sources told him that he was almost uncoachable though because he thinks he knows more than everyone else. The validity of that can be questioned, but if it's real, that is a major concern.  He's had some minor immaturity stuff, but nothing like Manziel or anything like that. People have way overblown Rosen's immaturity. A hot tub in his dorm room and re-arranging lawn ornaments in lewd positions does't overly concern me. The coachability thing could though. Benjamin Allbright said earlier this season that from what he has heard, NFL teams aren't as high on Rosen as the draftnik and media community. 

Rosen is definitely more accurate in the short game, (though Darnold's is fine, accuracy is not a knack on his game. Yes, I wish ball placement was more ideal, but meh, ) but personally, I think that he makes worse decisions overall, which is a bigger concern moving forward because he's been at this a little while longer than Darnold. Some of these errors should be expected, to some degree, but I haven't seen Rosen cull a lot of his poor judgment impulses. Everyone made a big deal out of his comeback earlier this year, and it was pretty amazing, but not once, but twice, he got insanely lucky on a poor decision that should have been picked and instead ended up for big gains and touchdowns.

Physical tools can be overrated, but they are also important, especially depending on the environment they are playing in. I love Rosen in a more WCO situation. Take most of the decision making out of his hands, put him in positions of more efficient play, and things like a quicker delivery, better ball placement and accuracy pay off. I want him getting rid of the ball quickly (he's a far less gifted athlete than Darnold) and in positions of YAC. 

14 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

I'll let the football minds decide

Are you referring to Sashi and co. or the trespasser who has been masquerading as an offensive/QB guru at our headquarters for the past season and a half? Also known as Hue.

Here would be my process: Hue says he can turn Josh Rosen into a pro bowl caliber QB. I instantly favor Sam Darnold, fire the imposter, and file for a protection order that doesn’t let him within 500 feet of my future quarterback.

Archived