2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You can't measure shin lengths from behind a computer screen.

Yeah I don’t know about that. You can calculate shin length pretty easily with background objects. Quantify the speed of said subject and there you go. Speed locked down. 

I think Darnold will end up going #1 overall. he is starting to get his game together and showing vast improvement. Rosen is a picture perfect passer, one of the best I have seen in quite a while, but is he a winner, just not so sure, so he slips a little on my board. I love Mayfield for his leadership and intangibles, he has the arm, just a little short, but that did not hurt Brees or Wilson when they reached the pros. Say what you want, but I love the guy. Lamar Jackson is the second coming of Michael Vick, but a much more accurate passer with a lot more touch, but his build suggests a shorter career, especially as he will definitely run the ball often.

As for Allen, he plays with nothing around him and probably has the highest ceiling, but I cannot see him going top 10.

It is going to be a definite thriller leading up to the draft, to see who sets himself apart from this field. I will not be shocked to see 6 QB's go in round 1 of the 2018 draft, possibly 3 in the top 5. I just pray we do not blow it!!!

17 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

If the answer to any of these questions is "No" then they might not be our guy:

1 - Is he an accurate passer under pressure? 

2 - Is he mobile enough  to avoid the pass rush?

3 - Does he have arm strength?

4 - Is he big/heavy enough to play QB at the pro level? 

5 - Does he possess the leadership qualities to actually lead an offense? 

6 - Does he have off field issues? 

7 - Is he smart enough to read a defense and make adjustments on the fly?

We need a plug in and be an all-pro from day 1 in order for any rookie QB to survive in Cleveland. We won't accept anything other than that. We won't sit a kid down and let them learn. We won't give a kid more than 6 games before we call for his head. We won't give a kid time to adjust to the pro tempo of the game. So we need the most pro ready rookie QB in the history of the game. If neither of these two can be that then let's not waste the pick. :ph34r:

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Darnold is a 'Yes' for all of them. Except off the field issues. In that regard, those questions and answers show that he has a fantastic skill set.

There are some things he can get much better at, but I'm a huge fan because the traits are very clearly there across the board. Which is something I'm not sure we could say for any QB we've had going back quite a long time. Tends to be that most QBs we have are poor prospects with maybe one unique selling point for us to clutch onto.

7 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Darnold is a 'Yes' for all of them. Except off the field issues. In that regard, those questions and answers show that he has a fantastic skill set.

There are some things he can get much better at, but I'm a huge fan because the traits are very clearly there across the board. Which is something I'm not sure we could say for any QB we've had going back quite a long time. Tends to be that most QBs we have are poor prospects with maybe one unique selling point for us to clutch onto.

How bad are the off field issues? Every questions there is super important to any rookie QB's success in Cleveland. Just look what G Warren, J Manziel, K Winslow, etc* did to our team. (only ones I can think of off the top of my head). Idiots all of them. If we are picking a QB again, he'll need to almost immediately be a starting QB. It's like we'll only give the kid a training camp and 4 pre-season games to learn the offense then they better be ready to win 16 games or they are a complete bust. Any form of patience past 1 season is not a Browns fan's strongest attribute. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

42 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

How bad are the off field issues? Every questions there is super important to any rookie QB's success in Cleveland. Just look what G Warren, J Manziel, K Winslow, etc* did to our team. (only ones I can think of off the top of my head). Idiots all of them. If we are picking a QB again, he'll need to almost immediately be a starting QB. It's like we'll only give the kid a training camp and 4 pre-season games to learn the offense then they better be ready to win 16 games or they are a complete bust. Any form of patience past 1 season is not a Browns fan's strongest attribute. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

One season?

Half this forum had written off a 21 year old rookie 2 months into his career lol.

2 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

That is all

mastercheddaar

Sorry it was the wording of the question. As in the only one that has the answer of 'No' is 'Does he have any off field issues'.

So I mean to say that he has no off field issues. By all accounts he's a good dude with a good family.

I agree with you regarding the lack of patience we tend to have in QBs. That being said, I think some of it stems from a combination of not feeling good about the QB in the first place (old man Weeden, cocaine Manziel, noodle arm Kessler, immensely flawed Kizer etc) and the years built frustration from losing and being a circus. Not once have we been given an actual franchise QB type to be reasonably confident in.

All the QBs that have failed here haven't done so because of the impatient fans, but you're right. It doesn't help either.

I don't know about a hell of game. 56% and 6.3ypa. He threw another terrible pick in the redzone on first down. He audibled to a sneak from 3 yards out at the end of the half.

Based on everything I've seen so far, I'd be awfully worried about passing on QBs again and rolling with him based on a couple of wins at the back end of the season.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I don't know about a hell of game. 56% and 6.3ypa. He threw another terrible pick in the redzone on first down. He audibled to a sneak from 3 yards out at the end of the half.

Based on everything I've seen so far, I'd be awfully worried about passing on QBs again and rolling with him based on a couple of wins at the back end of the season.

If we modify the passing to take out the last pass where Louis gave up on the route we get 21/36 1 TD Passer Rating 87 along with 7 rusing attempts for 57 yards. 

He as our best player IMO last Sunday. If we didn't gift them 3 TD's we win.  

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

If Kizer balls out and we win 2-3 games and still have the number 1 pick. We trade it for a huge ransom of picks. 4 firsts. 

Not me, I take the best available QB prospect and not worry about having 2 starting caliber quarterbacks on the roster. Until Kizer gets his passer rating close to JaMarcus Russel's career mark Kizer gets nothing handed to him. He has had 2 games where he looked like he should be a starting QB, even if it turns into half of the games by the end of the year I'm not sold long term, at least not enough to bypass a QB in the draft. First things is first though, lets get some separation between his YPA and interception percentage.

20 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Not me, I take the best available QB prospect and not worry about having 2 starting caliber quarterbacks on the roster. Until Kizer gets his passer rating close to JaMarcus Russel's career mark Kizer gets nothing handed to him. He has had 2 games where he looked like he should be a starting QB, even if it turns into half of the games by the end of the year I'm not sold long term, at least not enough to bypass a QB in the draft. First things is first though, lets get some separation between his YPA and interception percentage.

Fair enough. 

For me he made plenty of big boy throws last week and is now looking pretty sharp. His only accuracy issue for my mind is technical rather than lack of coordination. 

I think the W's are very close. 

Archived