2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

From my take from Thomas is the Browns shouldn’t draft a QB and sign a Vet QB like Cousins or McCarron because those guys will lead to immediate success because that’s all that matters when getting a QB. If you don’t plan to start that QB from day1 he isn’t worth drafting. So the browns should just sign a guy who could come in and be the day 1 starter then...

Thomas just wants to win now. Can't blame him for having the Cousins bias.

He won't be around when the rookie QB pays off.

I don't expect to win now with any of the rookie quarterbacks. I'm patient, I'm not concerned about the playoffs this year or next. We are extremely young though and if we have to wait a year or two for our pick to play and then wait a year or two more for him to get accustomed to the game then it will be a completely different team by then.

I don't want Cousins, I'd be okay with him. I just want the best QB prospect and I believe the best QB prospect should be ready to play even though there will be growing pains and not a lot of wins, at least we get the ball rolling and don't have to wait for him to get valuable game experience.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't expect to win now with any of the rookie quarterbacks. I'm patient, I'm not concerned about the playoffs this year or next. We are extremely young though and if we have to wait a year or two for our pick to play and then wait a year or two more for him to get accustomed to the game then it will be a completely different team by then.

I don't want Cousins, I'd be okay with him. I just want the best QB prospect and I believe the best QB prospect should be ready to play even though there will be growing pains and not a lot of wins, at least we get the ball rolling and don't have to wait for him to get valuable game experience.

Eh, people say they’re patient, but they’re not.

You were done with Kizer by November despite being the 3rd youngest player to ever start a game at QB. 

And while he was bad, his numbers weren’t all that far off a guy like Stafford’s who was also very young but had Megatron to throw to.

Maybe you are patient, but I think you know most Browns fans aren’t. 

29 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I meant Joe Thomas!

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, people say they’re patient, but they’re not.

You were done with Kizer by November despite being the 3rd youngest player to ever start a game at QB. 

And while he was bad, his numbers weren’t all that far off a guy like Stafford’s who was also very young but had Megatron to throw to.

Maybe you are patient, but I think you know most Browns fans aren’t. 

I wasn't done with Kizer I just preferred Kessler from the start. I am sorta glad we got to see Kizer in extended duty and see how he would progress (or not). It did make this years drafting an easy decision. Kessler and Hue are a bad fit and I get that and accept it but in my perfect world Kessler would have started last year and Hue would have been RB coach for the Bears.

I haven't always been patient but being so far away from contending and with what Hue has shown in Cleveland thus far if we had the Patriots roster I seriously wouldn't expect a winning season. Silly as it sounds there is just something wrong with what is going on. The talent isn't terrible and they played hard last year that alone should get you a few wins. For his head coaching/OC abilities and that other negative intangible that I can't quite place leaves me feeling Hue gets 3 or 4 less wins per year than what a random NFL coach gets and while Hue is here I am going to be very patient because I have no expectations.

30 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Patrick Mahomes hand size was 9.25"

Aaron Rodgers hand size was 9.38"

9.25" is in the normal range and doesn't have a downside really. Maybe the ball nosedives slightly on deep throws but that is a small issue. I think Darnold comes in around 9.25" or better and it isn't even a debate that needs had. Under 9" and usually there are issues with deep throws nose diving pretty hard, again no QB has the same grip so it can effect one guy more than another with the exact same hand size. IMO 9.25" isn't a concern at all unless you noticed something in his throws. 9" and you better do your homework to make sure it isn't a detriment. Below that you really have to take points off of a prospect even if you don't notice an issue because it's extremely rare that they can make all of the throws. There is a pattern of issues with QBs with really large hands too. Ideally 9.25" to 10.25 is the sweet spot.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I wasn't done with Kizer I just preferred Kessler from the start. I am sorta glad we got to see Kizer in extended duty and see how he would progress (or not). It did make this years drafting an easy decision. Kessler and Hue are a bad fit and I get that and accept it but in my perfect world Kessler would have started last year and Hue would have been RB coach for the Bears.

I won’t argue that.  I think we needed to see what Kizer had though, but now that we have I’m not sure what I saw mattered. Is Kizer a dud forever? I can’t say I know that.  Cody would have most likely given us a chance to win a few games had Hue implemented an offense that he could operate in, but that’s not how Hue works apparently.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I haven't always been patient but being so far away from contending and with what Hue has shown in Cleveland thus far if we had the Patriots roster I seriously wouldn't expect a winning season. Silly as it sounds there is just something wrong with what is going on. The talent isn't terrible and they played hard last year that alone should get you a few wins. For his head coaching/OC abilities and that other negative intangible that I can't quite place leaves me feeling Hue gets 3 or 4 less wins per year than what a random NFL coach gets and while Hue is here I am going to be very patient because I have no expectations.

Agreed.

Maybe Hue can thrive without the pressure of running the offense, but he’s underwhelmed thus far.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

I don't know why they don't measure GRiP STRENGTH along with hand size...it would seem that strength in the hand would have more to do with holding onto the ball than just having big hands.

Yeah it's both but you don't need special hand strength if you have really large hands I doubt just because you cover such a large area of the ball. You still wouldn't want weak hands but with workout programs I doubt that would be a problem. My hands are 9.25" and I do have abnormally strong hands so it never caused me a problem. The ball does still nosedive on me a little on deep throws but I never had great arm strength to begin with (better than the average Joe but not even as strong as most good H.S. QBs). I did have wheels though and I said screw keeping my eyes downfield I'm gonna try doing this myself. Anyway I just made this about me somehow, so I could zip a baseball pretty good and am a lefty but don't have the bulk hit to more than 80 mph on the gun consistently. Oh crap, more stuff about me, sorry about that, my point was 25 years ago I was an okay athlete. Wait, that couldn't have been my point. They used to call me moonshine because I was white lighting. That is a lie, I tried to give myself that nickname but that never works. Are you still reading this? What is wrong with your life that this is the best way to spend your time? I think you need to reevaluate what is important in your life. Maybe your wife would like to spend some time with you or maybe your kids. Heck, binge watch something on Netflix, that has to be better than this.

25 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah it's both but you don't need special hand strength if you have really large hands I doubt just because you cover such a large area of the ball. You still wouldn't want weak hands but with workout programs I doubt that would be a problem. My hands are 9.25" and I do have abnormally strong hands so it never caused me a problem. The ball does still nosedive on me a little on deep throws but I never had great arm strength to begin with (better than the average Joe but not even as strong as most good H.S. QBs). I did have wheels though and I said screw keeping my eyes downfield I'm gonna try doing this myself. Anyway I just made this about me somehow, so I could zip a baseball pretty good and am a lefty but don't have the bulk hit to more than 80 mph on the gun consistently. Oh crap, more stuff about me, sorry about that, my point was 25 years ago I was an okay athlete. Wait, that couldn't have been my point. They used to call me moonshine because I was white lighting. That is a lie, I tried to give myself that nickname but that never works. Are you still reading this? What is wrong with your life that this is the best way to spend your time? I think you need to reevaluate what is important in your life. Maybe your wife would like to spend some time with you or maybe your kids. Heck, binge watch something on Netflix, that has to be better than this.

Epic.

4 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Not a draft situation, but there is a thread that has the Jags extending Bortles for 3 more years.  

I think that takes them out of consideration for Cousins.

Heard that reported on radio.

Agree re Cousins, unless they want to peddle Bortles.

Numbers I heard were not outlandish...something like $28mm guaranteed.

Almost certainly tradable to some team...like us?

Archived