2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

Ok can we finally put this lie to rest about Rosen not wanting to play for us?  Perfect example for some people to stop believing everything you hear:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/02/josh_rosen_ive_never_said_anyt.html

Over here in London, we would say he's played a blinder.

Hasn't outright trashed the Browns. But implied just enough in the subtext that even when walking it back, Cleveland still have enough doubt over his commitment. But the major metropolitan market picking at 2 should have no real reason or problem to consider not selecting him.

As much as I like Rosen, he has firmly thrown the Browns onto Darnold's plate, whilst settling for two servings of New York with a splash of Denver on the side.

And I'm perfectly fine with that. I would have taken Sam Darnold at 1 regardless.

57 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Over here in London, we would say he's played a blinder.

Hasn't outright trashed the Browns. But implied just enough in the subtext that even when walking it back, Cleveland still have enough doubt over his commitment. But the major metropolitan market picking at 2 should have no real reason or problem to consider not selecting him.

As much as I like Rosen, he has firmly thrown the Browns onto Darnold's plate, whilst settling for two servings of New York with a splash of Denver on the side.

And I'm perfectly fine with that. I would have taken Sam Darnold at 1 regardless.

But he didn’t imply anything. He’s not said anything that even remotely implies he doesn’t want to play for the Browns. And now he says the whole thing wasn’t true and you still believe he doesn’t want to play here?  Come on Aztec. Remember when he allegedly said he’d stay at school if the Browns got the 1st pick? Not long after he comes out. Remember when he said (not allegedly as these are actual quotes) in fact I’ll quote it:

"I'd rather be a lower pick at the right team than a higher one at the wrong team,'' Rosen said Saturday at the Cactus Bowl media day as the Bruins prepared to play Tuesday in the Cactus Bowl tonight against Kansas State, per Josh Weinfuss of espn.com.

The answer came in response to a question about whether he feels strongly about playing for certain teams, but not specifically about the Browns.

"I think the teams know more than I do in the sense of where I'd best fit," he said. "I might be a bit of a unique personality, so hopefully they can pick me a part and if a team really feels that I'm their guy, hopefully they'll go and get me.

Here he states a fact that many have said for years about first pick qbs. It absolutely would be best if they could go to the best fit for them. In fact Josh Allen said the exact same thing yet nobody is driving a false narrative that he doesn’t want to play for the Browns. Why is that? I personally think it’s because Rosen’s intelligence and free thinking ability rubs people the wrong way. 

As I’ve stated all along, if we draft him I’d be perfectly fine with it. But I also prefer Darnold. (Which btw is going to happen)

"I'd rather be a lower pick at the right team than a higher pick at the wrong team."

Maybe I'm just being cynical but I know who he meant by that. He means us. When I watched the interview, it felt quite clear to me. The question didn't reference the Browns but it felt quite evident to me they were the context in why the question was asked. He has been smart with his words in my opinion.

Playing for Cleveland wouldn't be the end of the world for him I'm sure. He won't refuse to play here. I haven't suggested that for a minute. He'd be the number one overall and get a fat contract.

I just personally believe he has softly sewn the seeds that he hopes will lead him to New York.

27 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

"I'd rather be a lower pick at the right team than a higher pick at the wrong team."

Maybe I'm just being cynical but I know who he meant by that. He means us. When I watched the interview, it felt quite clear to me. The question didn't reference the Browns but it felt quite evident to me they were the context in why the question was asked. He has been smart with his words in my opinion.

Playing for Cleveland wouldn't be the end of the world for him I'm sure. He won't refuse to play here. I haven't suggested that for a minute. He'd be the number one overall and get a fat contract.

I just personally believe he has softly sewn the seeds that he hopes will lead him to New York.

That’s fine if you think that’s what he meant, I just disagree and didn’t get that from him. And now outright said as much. 

7 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

"I'd rather be a lower pick at the right team than a higher one at the wrong team,'' Rosen

Agree with Aztec on this.

"lower pick" implies not at #1, which is where we are sitting.

Which makes us the "higher one" and "the wrong team".

16 hours ago, bruceb said:

Agree with Aztec on this.

"lower pick" implies not at #1, which is where we are sitting.

Which makes us the "higher one" and "the wrong team".

I took it as such as well, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the statement, so IDGAF.

Talk to the kid, see if he’s open to playing here.  If so, who cares, proceed as you would.  If not, move on.

I like Darnold better either way, so I really don’t GAF.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Rosen's concussion/injury history concern me more than a vague comment probably indicating that he'd rather play elsewhere 2-3 months ago.

I think the injuries are enough of a long-term concern with Rosen that if there’s a QB to fall a bit on draft day, he could be the guy.

7 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I know im super late on this but am I the only one who was impressed with some of the throws Darnold made against tOSU?

Pressured on 46% of his dropbacks. Most of those instantenous overwhelming of a pathetic o-line.

Looking beyond the box score and focusing on translatable pro traits, there were half a dozen sideline bucket throws under pressure, right on the money. Third downs where he was able to drop it in or extend the play and find a target to move the chains.

In the end it was enough of a mismatch that it was always going to casually look like a bad performance.

Deontay Burnett fumbled the ball on Darnold's first completion...

5 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Pressured on 46% of his dropbacks. Most of those instantenous overwhelming of a pathetic o-line.

Looking beyond the box score and focusing on translatable pro traits, there were half a dozen sideline bucket throws under pressure, right on the money. Third downs where he was able to drop it in or extend the play and find a target to move the chains.

In the end it was enough of a mismatch that it was always going to casually look like a bad performance.

Deontay Burnett fumbled the ball on Darnold's first completion...

Yeah, he had a lot of drops and outside of Burnett (who really is a #2 ) he no one else reliable to throw to. I know live and even when I went back to watch I found myself saying wow at the throws. Plus throughout the game, he knew the coverages and where the the hot throw was at all times and was under control even with pressure. That just led me to think, what if USC had a better line and at least one other threat outside. He did the best he could although everything was going against him.

Archived