2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Bold - Mayfield had the highest completion percentage and accurate throw % in the class on PFF "NFL throws" and "tight window" throws.

Darnold and Allen would not have done as well in Oklahoma's scheme (obviously just my opinion) because their games are much more predicated on "outside of scheme" throws and plays. (On Allen's part, at least partially because he panics at pressure so fast and feels phantom rushers, for Darnold more because his line wasn't good.) Rosen would probably have been similar to Mayfield's passing results in that offense. I think Lamar would've maybe had even more big games, but some worse ones too due to his consistency issues.

I really think it's a pick your poison at this point. Not scared of off-the-field and fiery personalities, along with a belief that college has a strong correlation to the pros? Mayfield. Want a highly intellectual guy who just plain knows the game combined with a solid arm? Rosen. Want a guy who flashes "special" on off-platform deep balls and has a hell of an arm? Darnold. Want the guy with the potential to change the game every week in ways you can't predict? Jackson. Want a probable bust who "looks" like an elite QB prospect? Allen.

i dont get why people think rosen is such an intellectual
he got a 29 on his wonderlic

9 minutes ago, mistakey said:

i dont get why people think rosen is such an intellectual
he got a 29 on his wonderlic

That’s the biggest red flag of them all when it comes to him. Built this narrative that he’s smarter than everyone else and on another level... quiet, polite kid from a farm easily surpassed him on an intelligence test and the beach kid from down the road got one point off the same score.

Have to say, just watching interviews of Rosen gave me some pause when it came to this narrative. Perhaps it’s just me, but he doesn’t particularly come across as having a heightened level of intelligence compared to the average person.

2 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Aaaaand now we're acting like the wonderlic is a good judge of intelligence. I'm out, peace.

why wouldnt it be?
i find error in taking it as a good predictor of football play, but when the top 3 scores are dudes from harvard, boston college and harvard... probably a pretty good correlation to mental acuity 

Just now, mistakey said:

why wouldnt it be?
i find error in taking it as a good predictor of football play, but when the top 3 scores are dudes from harvard, boston university and harvard... probably a pretty good correlation to mental acuity 

It's a "how quick can you do math" test. 60ish % of the questions are just simple math with a little bit of a twist. Or if/then logic puzzles. So if you care about those things, sure. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Just now, freakygeniuskid said:

Aaaaand now we're acting like the wonderlic is a good judge of intelligence. I'm out, peace.

It’s an intelligence test used in colleges and at the job level. It might not be the be all and end all, but I’d say it has some weight to it.

I know I’m certainly not surprised that Jackson scored a 13 and Allen a 37. Watching the two speak in interviews beforehand suggested that sort of result was plausible. To be honest, just as it did with the results for the other three QBs, which were all decent.

1 minute ago, freakygeniuskid said:

It's a "how quick can you do math" test. 60ish % of the questions are just simple math with a little bit of a twist. Or if/then logic puzzles. So if you care about those things, sure. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

yeah, ability to grasp logic is probably something that should be taken into account if you want to be an "intellectual"

7 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

(Peyton Manning got a 28.)

i also dont see why peyton manning getting a 28 is disqualifying.  no one ever was talkin about how smart peyton was.  

As others have said, it’s not the end all, but it is something.  

Smart people tend to do well on it, dumb people don’t.

Ryan Fitazpatrick getting a 49 or whatever wasn’t flukey, he was always the smartest guy in the room.

I mean, how often do you see a score and say “Damn, that’s surprising”?

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As others have said, it’s not the end all, but it is something.  

Smart people tend to do well on it, dumb people don’t.

Ryan Fitazpatrick getting a 49 or whatever wasn’t flukey, he was always the smartest guy in the room.

I mean, how often do you see a score and say “Damn, that’s surprising”?

if were bein honest i didnt knwo that josh allen was that smart ;)
or ben watson (48 !!!)

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah when did he become a genius?

28 is respectable.

I don't give a rat's #%% how good my QB is at math and logic problems. I care how smart he is in regards to making decisions immediately pre and post snap. And in those areas Peyton Manning is basically the goat. I mean, he got at least two years of elite production out of his arm after it had gone full noodle.

The wonderlic doesn't matter at all except in revealing possible learning disabilities. My point isn't that it's useless, it's that trying to use it as an indicator of football intelligence, or even general intelligence is a bad idea. It would be like me trying to use someone's 40 time to judge their upper body strength. There's a tenuous connection, sure, but why not use a better test like the bench press?

Just now, freakygeniuskid said:

I don't give a rat's #%% how good my QB is at math and logic problems. I care how smart he is in regards to making decisions immediately pre and post snap. And in those areas Peyton Manning is basically the goat. I mean, he got at least two years of elite production out of his arm after it had gone full noodle.

The wonderlic doesn't matter at all except in revealing possible learning disabilities.

I feel like you're missing the point on this one a bit freaky. People aren't worried about Rosen's Wonderlic score. It's absolutely fine. As you say, it doesn't reveal any possible learning difficulties. Nobody is claiming otherwise. The issue is that some believe to varying degrees that Rosen acts like he is smarter than most people. How true that is, none of us really know but there's no denying that there has been a lot of smoke in the comments of Jim Mora, Trent Dilfer and a number of others.

The awkward/funny bit of the soap opera is that Josh Allen scored much higher on the only uniform intelligence test that has been issued to the QB prospects.

Archived