Predicting the week one roster?

Mac Jones, Brian Hoyer, Bailey Zappe, D'Eriq King

Damien Harris, Rhamondre Stevenson, Pierre Strong Jr., Kevin Harris, James White*

Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith

Tyquan Thornton, Kendrick Bourne, DeVante Parker, Jakobi Meyers

Isaiah Wynn, Justin Herron

Cole Strange

David Andrews, Kody Russey

Michael Onwenu, Chasen Hines

Trent Brown, Yodney Cajuste, Andrew Stueber

Nick Folk, Jake Julien, Joe Cardona, Matthew Slater

Deatrich Wise, Henry Anderson, Ronnie Perkins

Davon Godchauex, Byron Cowart

Lawrence Guy, Christian Barmore

Matt Judon, Josh Uche, DaMarcus Mitchell

Ja'Whaun Bentley, Anfernee Jennings

Mack Wilson, Cameron McGrone

Malcolm Butler, Jack Jones

Adrian Phillips, Kyle Dugger

Devin McCourty, Jabril Peppers, Brenden Schooler

Jalen Mills, Shaun Wade

Marcus Jones, Justin Bethel

I feel like Malcolm Butler may be too slow and Jonathan Jones too expensive. A couple of guy will probably end up injured creating a spot for someone else. Secondary is a bit unpredictable but I feel like Jack Jones and Marcus Jones will quickly take over the cornerback spots. The Pats could end up trading a handful of guys on the roster and clear up a ton of space if they want to chase a big name remaining free agent or two or just save it for future extensions and 2023 free agency.

Fringe: Nelson Agholor (trade), Cody Davis, Raekwon McMillan, Jake Bailey, Jonathan Jones, JJ Taylor, Terrance Mitchell, Myles Bryant, Joshua Beldsoe*, Dalton Keene, Carl Davis, Will Sherman*, Devin Asiasi, Sam Roberts*, LaBryan Ray*

* = PS/PUP

Edited by DoleINGout

44 minutes ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

Mike Reiss on James White:

”When the Patriots take the field for voluntary offseason workouts this month, veteran running back James White(hip) likely won't be participating. White said at the draft party: "I still have a little while to go [after] a pretty rough injury." 

PUP

I think we could see a heavy use of a four man front on defense with Baremore/Wise on one end and Judon on the other, spelled by Uche/Perkins as backups. Guy and Godchaux in the middle. If Byron Cowart doesn't seize the role of backup DT finally then LaBryan Ray is my next candidate to fill in there. Ray is a great UDFA signing IMO.

D'Eric King I would expect to make the practice squad along with JJ Taylor if he s eligible and doesn't get scooped up by another team.

Malcolm Butler, Jonathan Jones, and Cody Davis all have a fair shot at making the roster and probably will. I just don't know which guys will inevitably land on an injury list aside from James White to PUP maybe. Myles Bryant and Joshua Bledsoe are my least confident picks for the final roster. I think both flashed but there might be legitimacy to fan concern over Bryant's speed and Bledsoe's lack of playing time.

QB: Jones, Hoyer, Zappe

RB: D Harris, Stevenson, White (PUP), Strong, Montgomery 

WR: Bourne, Thornton, Meyers, Agholor, Parker

TE: Henry, Smith

OT: Wynn, Brown, Herron, Cajuste

OG: Strange, Onwenu, Ferentz, Hines

C Andrews

DL: Barmore, Guy, Godchaux, Anderson, Cowart

LB: Judon, Wilson, Uche, Perkins, McGrone, Bentley, McMillan

CB: J Jones, M Jones, Wade, Mills, Bryant, Butler

S: McCourty, Dugger, Phillips, Bledoe, Peppers

P: Bailey

K: Folk

LS: Cardona

ST: Slater, Bethel

Edited by Hunter2_1

26 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Candidates for trade: (by 2022 deadline)

Trent Brown

Rhamondre Stevenson/Damien Harris

Isaiah Wynn

Josh Uche

Davon Godchaux

Jonnu Smith/Dalton Keene

Jakobi Meyers/Nelson Agholor

Jonathan Jones

Oh and of course guys who aren't on my roster prediction any longer that I'd expect to be traded over the summer rather than waived:

Myles Bryant

Byron Cowart

JJ Taylor

Devin Asiasi

N'Keal Harry

Joejuan William

Jahlani Tavai

Harvey Langi

+ Jake Bailey

Edited by DoleINGout

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33843541/source-pittsburgh-steelers-decline-lb-devin-bush-fifth-year-option?platform=amp

Since the Steelers recently declined the fifth year option on Devin Bush... Perhaps Isaiah Wynn for Devin Bush makes sense. Pats use the LB help and Steelers use the LT help. Throw in Harvey Langi or Jahlani Tavai. Steelers LB coach Brian Flores gets a linebacker in Langi who can learn the system quickly and contribute well on special teams at least while the Pats get athletic depth at linebacker with the potential to start.

Offensive line if Wynn is gone:

LT Trent Brown/Yodny Casjute

LG Cole Strange/Justin Herron

C David Andrews/James Ferentz

RG Chasen Hines/Will Sherman

RT Michael Onwenu/Andrew Stueber

10 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33843541/source-pittsburgh-steelers-decline-lb-devin-bush-fifth-year-option?platform=amp

Since the Steelers recently declined the fifth year option on Devin Bush... Perhaps Isaiah Wynn for Devin Bush makes sense. Pats use the LB help and Steelers use the LT help. Throw in Harvey Langi or Jahlani Tavai. Steelers LB coach Brian Flores gets a linebacker in Langi who can learn the system quickly and contribute well on special teams at least while the Pats get athletic depth at linebacker with the potential to start.

Bill seems pretty set at LB. Not that Bush wouldn't be an upgrade, but I don't think Bill entertains this

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Bill seems pretty set at LB. Not that Bush wouldn't be an upgrade, but I don't think Bill entertains this

Davon Godchaux might be of interest to the Steelers too, more so than Wynn. If Bill can save money and they think they can get by just as well with Byron Cowart at nose instead then I would think the Pats will eat the $2.5 million dead money to trade Godchaux after June 1st and save $7.5 million.

I'll add Jalen Mills to the trade candidate list since he'd have a low dead money amount versus cap savings made from a trade. His style of play and level of play aren't really consistent with the rest of the tough tackling secondary. A CB needy team may lose a guy to an injury and Mills might be moved then for an early-ish "Day 3" pick in 2023, or a more complimentary player that the Pats feel fits more.

(These are cap estimates borrowed from overthecap.com):

Jalen Mills ($625,000 dead/$5,450,000 save), Davion Godchaux ($2,750,000 dead/$7,500,000 save), Isaiah Wynn ($0 dead/$10,400,000 save), and Jonnu Smith ($3,750,000 dead/$9,950,000 save) add up to a lot of cap savings, ($33,000,000!), and only $7,000,000 in dead money if all four are traded after June 1st but before the trade deadline.

Plus if Jake Bailey ($4,000,000 save) and Mack Wilson ($2,500,000 save) are cut, the combined dead money is only $72,500.

You're looking at roughly forty million dollars saved on the cap that you can disperse elsewhere.

Regardless, Davon Godchaux, Mack Wilson, and Isaiah Wynn are free agents after this season so you'll get their savings without the dead money from a trade. I'd imagine the Pats will elect to keep at least Davon and Isaiah, but Wilson could be cut with only Chase Winovich's $250,000 dead money from that trade earlier this year.

That leaves, financially speaking, Jalen Mills and Jonnu Smith as the most likely to be traded before their contract is up for cap saving purposes.

Of course a number of lower salaried players could be traded as well but the savings implications for say a Myles Bryant, JJ Taylor, or Josh Uche even are substantially less and would be driven more by a desire to get an asset back rather than money.

FWIW, Jonathan Jones is in the last year of his deal and would be $2,000,000 in dead money for a savings of $5,700,000. This alone leads me to believe that Jones has a better chance at making the roster than Mills if either is to be traded. Mills also has more than one year on his contract.