Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2022 (All Up)

goldfishwars

This thread is like football Christmas! 

The Patriots, man... it's like Belichick drafts only because he has to. His real passion is picking up guys off the FA/UDFA/waiver wire scrap heap and turning them into overachievers. He's done that successfully most years and I won't be surprised if he does it again. If we judged the Patriots only on their early draft grades, we would think they were bottom-feeders. In reality they're a dynasty that's had only one losing season since 2000, so it's no wonder the NE sports media don't want to rock the boat.

But enough logic. On to the way too early reactions! I would rank this draft a little higher than Goldfishwars because personally I like Marcus Jones, I like Cole Strange (in the 2nd or 3rd), and Pierre Strong Jr has a very pronounced upside. But all the other picks were "meh." I mean, Thornton? I've watched his highlights and his actual play speed is NOT 4.28, I'll tell you that. He's a project that would have been available in the later rounds. Same for Jack Jones and his off-the-field issues. Same for Bailey Zappe in a QB class where Carson Strong went undrafted!

You get the idea. In a draft full of reaches, the Patriots stand without equal.

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Man, you know what really sucks? New England sports media. Hands-down the most sycophantic, non-critical, chippy loser, finger-pointing, crowing idiots in all of the world.

Man, you aren’t wrong, but it’s funny to bring this up and then throw this dinger out there.

10 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Bills (who already know this), Jets, Dolphins – your salad days are over. The Patriots have surrendered control of the AFC East, perhaps for the foreseeable. The rot has set-in, we have given in.

As if the equally loud, equally annoying crowd of “we lost a game? Blow the team up, fire Bill, sell the team”-fans aren’t occupying that same air. 

Cheers, GFW. Looking forward to the rest.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Man, you aren’t wrong, but it’s funny to bring this up and then throw this dinger out there.

As if the equally loud, equally annoying crowd of “we lost a game? Blow the team up, fire Bill, sell the team”-fans aren’t occupying that same air. 

Cheers, GFW. Looking forward to the rest.

Let me be dramatic

• Like 7

31. Miami Dolphins

The Narrative Around Chris Grier is Wrong, He's Not a Bad GM - Miami  Dolphins

This Class In One Sentence:

Incredibly brief, every time they appeared on the clock I had forgotten their entire existence 

Pre-Draft Needs

C, S, OT, EDGE, LB

Selections

Round 3. 102. Channing Tindall  | LB | Georgia

Round 4. 125. Erik Ezukanma  | WR | Texas Tech

Round 7. 224. Cameron Goode  | LB | California

Round 7. 247. Skylar Thompson  | QB | Kansas State

What I liked:

Casting the draft aside, Miami had a busy off-season which reduced their class to a titchy number in number and capital. F-them picks they said, as another team once said. I just can’t remember who because nobody has mentioned it for a whole five seconds. Maybe these teams are onto something, maybe getting the proven entity over what’s in the magic box is a better way to build things and we’re all being suckered in by that magic box – the promise of a better future.

Channing Tindall was a decent add in the third round, even if he was Georgia defensive prospect #99 in this class. Big-time recruit, but couldn’t convert to a permanent starting role, albeit on an all-time defense. Ezukanma is really fast.

What I didn’t like:

Man, that’s a tiny class. I'm not saying it's bad, it just barely exists. That’s really small. It’s like the size of the average IQ of the dudes paid money to attend the draft and appear to have a break-down live on television – like that guy in the Cowboys helmet. Therapy dude, it has to be cheaper than what you paid to do that.  

Edited by goldfishwars
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Man, that’s a tiny class. I'm not saying it's bad, it just barely exists. That’s really small. It’s like the size of the average IQ of the dudes paid money to attend the draft and appear to have a break-down live on television – like that guy in the Cowboys helmet. Therapy dude, it has to be cheaper than what you paid to do that.  

Channing, Erik, Cameron and Skylar. Get in losers, flip your hat backwards, grab a lite beer, we're going 4-wheeling in the mud. 

• Like 1

You always have the Steelers in the 20s.....and I usually never disagree.

I wont this year, either.  

Our drafts on paper are usually underwhelming.   Only good thing is that they usually end up being better than they initially look.

It's wild reading draft reviews. Saw one where Cardinals were at the bottom, and another where they were at the top. Complete opposite information. Nobody knows who's right but it's fun to throw out guesses like this. 

• Like 2

Miami hit the free agency jackpot, but it cost them much of their draft. Tindall showed great tackling and coverage ability when he managed to get on the field--which wasn't as often as he hoped, behind Nakobe Dean and Quay Walker. Ezukanma is a good all-around receiver and route-runner who takes a while to hit top speed; that may limit him to being an occasional deep threat. Or he could torch defenses all game long while they're doubling Tyreek Hill. Who knows? 

Goode and Thompson are only vaguely familiar names who were projected to go late if at all.

14 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I saw a lot of fans on Twitter making what McVay and Snead did a big deal. So much so that they spent yesterday during their press conference trying to address the situation. So I’m not talking about fans on here and maybe the majority wasn’t upset but I saw on Twitter fans making a big deal. That’s what I saying. I agree with you Kevin Wildes.

Kevin’s reaction was pathetic, I can’t believe anything is being made of this

This thread is always a highlight of draft season, every year. Glad to see it pop back up again.

I think, every single year you've done this, we've been higher up the ranking than the prior year. I expect that trend to continue, so do not disappoint me.

• Like 4