Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2022 (All Up)

goldfishwars

17 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

All 4 GMs will survive if that QB busts, and guess what they'll all do soon if so? Pick another QB.

Ok, sorry to rehash out talk from yesterday, but this resonated with me - do you really think John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan survive after spending THREE first round picks to move up to get Lance?

(For reference, that's about as much as Cleveland moved to get Deshaun Watson, and more than what Denver paid for Russell Wilson - two proven and elite QBs).

If Lance fails - San Francisco absolutely fires John Lynch at minimum. I'm almost certain Shanahan is fired as well. San Francisco took a SIGNIFICANT risk to get Trey Lance, and if that risk doesn't pay off, people lose jobs - period.

36 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Ok, sorry to rehash out talk from yesterday, but this resonated with me - do you really think John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan survive after spending THREE first round picks to move up to get Lance?

(For reference, that's about as much as Cleveland moved to get Deshaun Watson, and more than what Denver paid for Russell Wilson - two proven and elite QBs).

If Lance fails - San Francisco absolutely fires John Lynch at minimum. I'm almost certain Shanahan is fired as well. San Francisco took a SIGNIFICANT risk to get Trey Lance, and if that risk doesn't pay off, people lose jobs - period.

I honestly think they do, Lynch has built a great roster, one who keeps taking Jimmy G's mediocre self deep in the playoffs.

Shanny runs one of the best offenses in the league.

I'd love for SF to fire both of them as an NFC fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

On the bright side though, them trading those three picks for Lance will only cost them a fraction of what those other 2 QB's cost or all 3 picks in terms of their cap hit. How bad will Lance have to be for it to be considered a failure?

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I honestly think they do, Lynch has built a great roster, one who keeps taking Jimmy G's mediocre self deep in the playoffs.

They've made the playoffs twice in the five years they've been together. The other three years were double digit loss seasons.

That's not exactly a consistent playoff record.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Shanny runs one of the best offenses in the league

Shanny might be able to make it, I don't know. 

Always enjoy reading these, great job as usual.

Cant complain about the Jets being #2, a really fun, competent draft.

Ravens vs Jets at 1 and 2 and kick off the season playing each other in week 1, I like that.

• Like 3

On 5/12/2022 at 4:16 PM, Packerraymond said:

I see the Lions all the time, probably more than you. Stafford was breaking down there, he was always hurt in December and the Lions had committed financial resources to him that deteriorated the rest of the roster. 

You may have watched them, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about in regards to the issues in Detroit.

And ha, Jordan Love. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was thinking about the Packers draft. 

Here are the five most successful receivers Green Bay have drafted since Aaron Rodgers landed in 2005. There is a huge drop-off in production to the 6th guy.

Davante Adams - Ht - 6'0, Wt - 212, 40 - 4.56
Jordy Nelson  - Ht - 6'3, Wt - 217, 40 - 4.51
Randall Cobb  - Ht - 5'10, Wt - 190, 40 - 4.46
Greg Jennings  - Ht - 5'11, Wt - 195, 40 - 4.48
James Jones  - Ht - 6'0, Wt - 208, 40 - 4.59

Their average height is 6'0, average weight 204 and average forty time 4.5. The narrative that they prefer height/weight/speed receivers might be true(ish) overall, but it flies in the face of the guys who have actually flourished there. Generally Rodgers has built his connections with players noted for their polish as route runners coming into the league. 

• Like 2

On 5/24/2022 at 10:18 AM, onejayhawk said:

That would explain some of MVS's lack of production. Rodgers finds a goto guy and MVS wasn't that guy. 

It will be interesting to see how he does with Mahomes since MVS is very like Mecole Hardman who already knows all the routes. 

MVS lack of production was largely in part to the fact that he was used almost exclusively as a deep threat. His catch % was crap tier because he had the longest ADOT of any WR in the NFL. Which is why he had a few games of crazy production and a lot of games of meh production.

• 8 months later...
On 5/10/2022 at 2:39 PM, goldfishwars said:

3. Kansas City Chiefs

2022 NFL draft: Everything to know about Kansas City Chiefs on Day 2

This Class In One Sentence:                                                             

Man, just stop being good at everything

Pre-Draft Needs

CB, EDGE, WR, DT, TE

Selections

Round 1. 21. Trent McDuffie  | CB | Washington

Round 1. 30. George Karlaftis  | DE | Purdue

Round 2. 54. Skyy Moore  | WR | Western Michigan

Round 2. 62. Bryan Cook  | S | Cincinnati

Round 3. 103. Leo Chenal  | LB | Wisconsin

Round 4. 135. Joshua Williams  | CB | Fayetteville State

Round 5. 145. Darian Kinnard  | OT | Kentucky

Round 7. 243. Jaylen Watson  | CB | Washington State

Round 7. 251. Isaih Pacheco  | RB | Rutgers

Round 7. 259. Nazeeh Johnson  | S | Marshall

What I liked:

You know who is a good GM? Little Brett Veach. He never panics and always puts his team in a good position to succeed. And what’s more, he doesn’t have John Dorsey’s fetish for naughty boys. Certainly some if the wolves were circling after Tyreek was traded and the roster was looking a little worn through. That big-play threat from anywhere on the field was gone. That’s a significant tactical loss, defenses were going to load up on Kelce and everyone’s life was going to be harder in KC. But man, they’ve bounced back in a way that didn’t seem possible.

The team needed a cornerback, so they moved up and found a dumb-dumb partner in New England who should have stayed there and drafted McDuffie, which is what the Chiefs did. He is slightly undersized, but he’s twitchy, feisty and good against the run. He really has the exact skill-set which has flourished in smaller talent packages in KC. The good news for Pats fans is that they could relax and think about a certain pass-rusher of Greek origin floating their way.

The Chiefs needed to beef up the pass-rush, and landed George Karlaftis much to everyone’s annoyance. He’s long, powerful and everything Spagnuolo adores at the position. They could have gone in a number of directions at that same spot, but I couldn’t have imagined a world where he would have been available a couple of weeks before – he was just always in the backfield at Purdue even if he wasn’t lighting up the stat sheet.

Skyy Moore is a gift at 54, coming off a ludicrously dominant final season at Western Michigan with 10 TDs and 1,300 yards in where he showed off his insane acceleration and soft hands. That just seemed like two magnets being drawn together. The Chiefs might not have a singular explosive weapon on offense, but man they're heading into 2022 with a much deeper corps than they've carried. Elsewhere in round 2, I like the Bryan Cook selection. He's a big, capable safety and was team captain at Cinci. He's a player who thrives in hoovering trash around the box.  

Leo Chenal joins recent draft picks Nick Bolton and Willie Gay in a re-tooled linebacking group, where he adds a blend of size and power, and some additional pass-rush from the second level. He could be very good if they know what to do with him. I also like the 5th round selection on Darian Kinnard, who offers a considerable size/power combination and the ability to fill-in or develop at a couple of spots. Joshua Williams is a very decent bet on size and athleticism at corner or safety, something to marinate. 

What I didn’t like:

I mean, there was very little not to be impressed by. The Chiefs were set-up to pretty well, got a little luck along the way, and delivered a seriously impressive haul. I guess as a fan of an AFC football team, my only relief comes from the team’s ongoing reluctance to give Chris Jones more help on the interior of that defense.

Care to revisit this post-Super Bowl?

Some numbers--snaps, %, ST snaps, other stats

McDuffie 75 100%, 1 FF 
Karlaftis 38 51% 5 ST
Watson 31 41% 6 ST
Williams 27 36% 14 ST
Chenal 18 24% 22 ST, 1 sack, 1 TFL
Cook 10 13% 22 ST
Johnson 17 ST

Pacheco 26 47% 6 ST, 15/70 TD
Moore 14 25% 1 ST, TD

All this said, they didn't get Sauce.

16 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Care to revisit this post-Super Bowl?

Some numbers--snaps, %, ST snaps, other stats

McDuffie 75 100%, 1 FF 
Karlaftis 38 51% 5 ST
Watson 31 41% 6 ST
Williams 27 36% 14 ST
Chenal 18 24% 22 ST, 1 sack, 1 TFL
Cook 10 13% 22 ST
Johnson 17 ST

Pacheco 26 47% 6 ST, 15/70 TD
Moore 14 25% 1 ST, TD

All this said, they didn't get Sauce.

Crazy how accurate that write up was. Wonder what happened to that guy.

• Like 9