Grade Your Draft

Daniel

CHARLES CROSS - OT B+

Need: A+ : Is the immediate starter at LT. 

Fit: B : Great length and footwork, but needs to develop strength and anchor. Doesn't have the explosiveness most top tier tackles have either. Seattle is something of a hybird zone power scheme, so his run blocking fit wont be known until game 1.

Value: B+ : Mixed bag value wise; some outlets had him as the top tackle, others 4th or 5th.

BOYE MAFE - EDGE B+

Need: B+ : Transition to a 3-4 Seattle needs more juice on the edge. Boye brings that.

Fit: B : Not the twitchy, bendy terror on the edge you'd like, but offers some versatility in space.

Value: B+ : Another prospect with mixed bag rankings. From top 20 to 3rd round.

KENNTH WALKER III - RB C+

Need: C+ : Cant say RB was a huge need with Penny back, BUT Carson might be done career wise, and Penny is on a one year deal, and has been healthy for about 8 games the last 3 years. Cant rely on him for 17 games.

Fit: A- : Awesome fit for Seattle scheme. Homerun potential, works well in small creases, YAC.

Value: C- : RB at 41, with as many holes as Seattle has is .... complicated. 

ABE LUCAS - OT  B

Need: A- : But of a surprise after drafting Cross, but Abe is 100% RT. Probably the penciled in starter right now which says alot about what Seattle HAD at Tackle.

Fit: B : Much like Cross Abe has the Length and feet you'd like, but not the power and anchor. 

Value: B : Got picked around the spot most think he would. 

COBY BRYANT - CB B

Need: B- : Seattle has a ton of similar dudes (Brown, Burns, Jones, Coleman, Amadi) but definitely needed some more depth at the position. I think he has a good shot at starting game 1.

Fit: B : Doesn't have the high end traits you'd like from a boundary DB, but has the stuff Pete covets (fluid hips, run support, read and react).

Value: B- : Would have preferred some of the other high ranked guys, but Bryant checks alot of boxes Seatte likes from CBs.

TARIQ WOOLEN - CB B-

Need: B : Opposite of Bryant, has the traits you'd kill for at the position. Lacks everything else.

Fit: C+ : Probably more of a ST asset than potential starting CB. 

Value: B+ : Mocked much higher than the 5th, but is a lottery ticket, so probably accurately taken mid 5th.

TYREKE SMTIH - EDGE C-

Need: C- : Always good to have depth at EDGE, but his skill set doesn't seem to jive with what Seattle is building. 

Fit: D+ : Just not a fan of a slow footed EDGE without the strength to make up for it. Would have preferred a more trait heavy project.

Value: C+ : Just think it would be more valuable to take a lottery pick than a low floor rotational piece. 

BO MELTON - WR  C

Need: C- : Thought WR was set after the resigning of Penny Hart. Not much room for players to push the roster here unless they have ST value.

Fit: B- : 4.3 speed, good after the catch. 

Value: C+ : People were surprised he lasted until the 7th. With all the talent that went off the board at WR... why did he slip so far? 

DAREKE YOUNG - WR B-

Need: C- : Again, didnt think Seattle needed to invest much at WR.

Fit: B+ : This guy gets me excited. This is the type of player you add in the 7th round. 6'3 220, 4.4 37 Vert, great blocking. ALOT to like here as a lottery ticket/ developmental prospect.

Value: B- : Probably better off as a 1st priority UDFA, but then again, not having to compete with other teams is great. 

Overall a B/B+ 

Not super exciting, not super up-sidey, but good value, and solid prospects at positions of need. KWIII is probably the most EXCITING pick, whereas Charles Cross is absolutely the most important. 

Edited by animaltested

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

The only pick I liked was Andrew Booth. I'll be kind and give the Vikings a C.

Lewis Cine and Booth are both pretty damn good prospects and could immediately make an impact on that secondary. Not a fan of basically there whole back end of the class outside of Ty Chandler who I think could be a #1 in the future. 

• Like 1

90- Dylan Parham, G/C Memphis: A-. He should start day 1 and push someone out of their spot. I was a bit surprised he was there. 

122- Zamir White, RB Georgia: C. Some love it. I'm not a huge fan. We can only keep 53 guys and there are 3 RBs on the roster we hurt ourselves financially trying to get rid of. For the record, at this spot, I would've jumped on Romeo Doubs, WR. Nevada or Calvin Austin, WR, Memphis, because we still feel really thin behind Adams and Renfrow. 

126- Neil Farrell, DT LSU: B+. I really like the pick and he should plug right in as a run stuffer. 

175- Matthew Butler, DT Tennesee: B. Hard not to like the value. I expected him gone about 35 picks before. My only concern is that, like Farrell, I don't see a whole lot of pass rush ability here. That said, at this point the only guy I really had my eye on at the moment was Damone Clark, LB, LSU, who probably takes a redshirt this year anyway. Solid, not spectacular. 

238- Thayer Munford, G Ohio St- B-. Should provide solid depth. I was surprised he was available myself. I probably would've gone with Rasheed Walker, T, Penn St myself, but Munford can either push Good or Simpson or he can't. I don't see him being tried out at T though, as his pass blocking leaves some to be desired. 

250- Brittain Brown RB UCLA- C-. I actually like the selection of a RB here more than at 122. Brown didn't start much, but he was also part of a committee with 2 very good backs in Demetric Felton and Zach Charbonnet. I can see him being more of a goal line back, which should be a good role for him. Not wild about his 4.66 wheels and lack of pass catching prowess though. If he recaptures his early form from his Duke days, could be a steal as a big plodder type. Solid pick, but not wild about the number of RBs considering there's no way we keep all of them, and again, 3 are already practically assured spots. It's a flier at the very end of the draft though, so taking anyone else is basically just to lock them up ahead of UDFA. I would've gone for Verone McKinley, S Oregon, or Josh Jobe CB Alabama for some variety in the picks, as I really wanted both guys and they wound up signed elsewhere and I wasn't wild about the avoidance of DBs. 

Overall: I give the picks a B. I give the entire draft, including the Adams trade, an A-. Good start to the Zeigler-McDaniels regime, imo. Not perfect, but not really anything that jumps out as insanely stupid.

45 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Lewis Cine and Booth are both pretty damn good prospects and could immediately make an impact on that secondary. Not a fan of basically there whole back end of the class outside of Ty Chandler who I think could be a #1 in the future. 

I have little faith in the OL drafted, the WR, DE and TE are practice squad bound, and the ILB will be strictly Special Teams.

Yay.

The Rams had a solid draft to me. I would say a B bc they didnt have a 1st or 2nd round pick. They didnt even have a top 100 pick. I thought they filled their needs that wasnt really sexy picks. They got OL Bruss who will play OG but can play RT. He is from Wisconsin so if there are schools to take a OL from its Iowa and Wisconsin. The Rams had to replace Corbett and I think they did. Then the Rams went and drafted Williams the back from ND. I know people didnt like this pick bc its a back. I think the Rams did this bc Henderson is FA after this season. Williams remind me of Akers coming out in that he can make defenders miss. Williams was 2nd in the nation with 51 missed tackles. That means the OL doesnt have to be perfect with their run blocking for Williams to get his yards plus he can catch the ball well. Then I love his passion and I think he is going to give everything he has plus some to the Rams. I can see Akers and Williams being a nice 1-2 for many years and the Rams can let Henderson walk especially if he dont step his game up this upcoming season. Then Jake Funk is really a special teams guy but he can work his way in especially if there is an injury to Akers or Williams.

Then the Rams went DB heavy. I had no issue with that. Durant feels like a Williams replacement but also Kendrick who had a better 2020 season where he looked like a 2nd round pick from Georgia. Then Yeast and Lake like one of those guys Id like to think could replace Rapp bc he will be a FA after this season as well. Not to mention Long Jr. will be a FA too after this season. So the Rams are just loading up to not only see what guys will turn into something but also knowing multiple guys in their secondary will be FA's after this season. So having guys like Durant, Kendrick, Yeast, Lake, along with Rochelle from last year's draft and they ended up bringing back Hill too. I think the Rams will have alot of competition in the secondary in camp and in preseason and Im confident we will see some of them rise up to be a nice contributor if not a starter to help out Ramsey who is the main guy but also Fuller and Scott who I think both have shined themselves since the Rams drafted them years ago later in the draft. 

Lastly the Rams drafted an edge rusher in Hardy. I think he has the measurables so the Rams want to see what his upside could be. In a similar way when the Rams drafted Harris in last years draft. He had the measurables and looked impressive in camp but unfortunately got hurt and couldnt play at any point in the season. Hardy was a 7th round pick so if he sticks great but if not again he was a 7th round pick.

Browns I'd give a B. Drafted 9 guys and if 4 stick then it is good. 

Some questionable picks and a one possible steal in Perion Winfrey kind of balance it out. 

David Bell is against type for Berry, his RAS is 2.6 or something so he is subpar as it relates to testing, but had outstanding production. 

We have 1 we that was an udfa which we can be optimistic about in Isaiah Weston 6'4" runs like the wind and was productive in college.

Edited by Kiwibrown

don't like 'grades'...so I'll use gifs! 

Round 1, No. 29 overall: Cole Strange, OG, Chattanooga

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Same as everyone else; I don't mind the player, I expect he will be good and a long term starter for us, and eventually get traded to Kansas City in 6 or 7 years time after a solid career at the coal-face (pun intended). It's a reach. We have as good a record as any team of drafting and developing IOL later on and turning them into stars. We should have selected higher-end talent here and saved IOL for rounds 3-5

Round 2, No. 50 overall: Tyquan Thornton, WR, Baylor

If You Say So Wow GIF by Barstool Sports

It's another reach. If it works, and he's a good WR with that speed, then it's not a reach. But right now, it looks a reach because he can't get off a press. Have you seen this footage? If a strong DB gets his hands on him at the LOS, he can't do anything about it. We are going to see a lot of dud-routes because he's spent 5 seconds trying to get around a CB. They traded their second-rounder (54) and fifth-rounder (158) to move up four spots to select him as well. However....the speed man.....it's like ....a temptress whilst you're married or something. That speed...

Round 3, No. 85 overall: Marcus Jones, CB, Houston

Nicole Scherzinger Television GIF

Relieved! Because we follow up 2 meh picks with a great one, IMO. And also, relief because we have increased our speed at the 3rd level with to go up against Hill and Waddle. I was sh!t scared of playing Miami, now I think we do have the speed in the back end to cope. Also, IF he does take a TD or two to the house on a return, that's incredible. Obviously concerned with height, but we won't expose him if we can help it

Round 4, No. 121 overall, Jack Jones, CB, Arizona State

Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

All reports can talk about is his five-star recruitment. Loads of busted talent were also five star. I think he's just going to be another one to add to the buried CB depth and we'll forget about this pick in 3 years, if he's even on team. He's another one that's very light.

Round 4, No. 127 overall, Pierre Strong Jr., RB, South Dakota State

Beer Ok GIF by Busch

Okay! Yeah! Another rapid offensive weapon. There is a bit of a need too, with injuries and contract situations in the RB room. Concerned about fumbles. Bye JJ.

Round 4, No. 137 overall: Bailey Zappe, QB, Western Kentucky

really? GIF by Wuz Good

Ergh, I get it, I suppose. We do need to move on from Stid-Yer. However, with what we did earlier in draft (aka reach for talent) here is where we could have added some solid piece for the front 7!

Round 6, No. 183 overall: Kevin Harris, RB, South Carolina

Adam Devine GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Maybe the worst, for me. I hate the double-dip at RB, I hate the lack of speed. So what, Groh, are we trying to get faster or not? He's rubbing himself off over the speed we drafted, then we draft a slow running back? Great physique though....

Roberts, Hines, Stueber 

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

Yeah! Solid picks here;

Roberts - Small school, but he was doing what you want to see. Absolutely tossing OL around like kids

Hines - Traits IOL, and I trust our late IOL picks

Stubs - Leader on the Michigan OL? Yes please. Versatile

• Like 1

I'm going to say a solid B

we reached on a few guys but they were the  guys we wanted all along

love the Rachaad White and Zyon McCollum picks

Goedeke pick has really grown on me, he's got that nasty in him that will only get brought out further with Jensen as the sensei

Hall was a need pick

Otton im not really sure about but was a solid depth pick and Gronk insurance

and Keift and Annthony are just guys , Licht has a habit of using the late rounders on guys that are niche specific 

all in all great job, i might not have loved the guys initially but i understand why all of them were picked and thats just what Licht does, nails drafts, ive honestly enjoyed most every Licht draft since he took over as the GM

some other team drafts i'd say are ranked near the top of the league:

Ravens (how do they keep doing this)

Eagles (great prospects and AJ, jealous)

Chiefs (still hate you guys but damn, knocked it out of the park, love Mcduffie, Karlaftis, Chenal, Skyy, Kinnard ouyyuiuoj;ilibugfyluiaonjgnnh)

Texans (Stingley, Green, Pitre, Pierce, Metchie probably all start)

Jets (bc they had so many high picks)

some others i'd say are near the bottom of the league:

Pats (love Pierre Strong and Marcus Jones, but the rest is yikes)

Fins (no picks)

Rams (no picks)

Broncos (love Dulcich, rest is meh)

Saints (but i love Olave)

Thibs and Neal are day 1 impact starters with upside to be pro-bowlers. Fantastic picks.

Wan'Dale Robinson and Cor'Dale Flott were both pretty significant reaches on the consensus board, and I'm not big on either of them as prospects. Both are very small. Obviously the team values them and sees places for them and you have to let that process play out. Both Daboll and Kafka have positive experiences working with players like Robinson. Flott was viewed by some as a high ceiling player. Still, very subpar picks.

The other day 2 pick, Ezeudu, is a guy OL focused draftniks liked a lot and he fits in really well scheme wise. He was only a very slight reach. This is a good pick.

Day 3 had some good picks and whatever picks. The good picks were Daniel Bellinger, a blocking tight end with really impressive athletic profile to develop into more than that that Daniel Jeremiah had as his 3rd overall TE, Micah Mcfadden, a blitzing, downhill LB that is a perfect fit for Wink's defense, and Darrian Beavers, an old school LB with versatility and impressive athleticism that was ranked as high as 80 something overall by some that we took in the 6th.

The whatever picks are guys that will either flame out or maybe will develop into quality depth. This includes S Dane Belton, G Marcus McKethan, and DT DJ Davidson.

I'd rate this overall an above-average draft. It is really propped up by incredible day 1 selections and a few 'steals' or 'gems' on day 3. Day 2 overall was very underwhelming.

Ultimately though, I think in a few years we view this as one of the better drafts in the last decade, mostly because of how high I am on Neal and Thibodeaux. Getting 2 high quality, pro bowl starters in 1 draft is a great, great year. If we can get a few depth pieces, or maybe even another starter, out of the other 9 guys, we did great.

• Like 1

49ers: 

This draft is going to be a little bit harder for me to grade because the 49ers took a couple of people I didn't really do any work on, so I don't really know how to grade them. 

#61 - Drake Jackson (EDGE, USC) 

I think this is pretty much a B. This is right around where I thought he was going to go, and every time I did a mock leading up to the draft, the value was almost always at the edge position. So even with the depth on the defensive line, this is a selection that just made sense from a value perspective. The only other player that has a really strong case for going here for the niners here is probably Dylan Parham, and he went 30 picks later, so honestly not even that strong of a case. Travis Jones would be the other from a value perspective, but EDGE > Defensive interior. 

The biggest question on Jackson is what do they want him to play at and can they keep him steady in that regard. I don't think he's going to do much in his rookie year; the line is deep so I would guess rotational nickel packages only. The first year should probably be about getting his body comp right, deciding on how they want him to play, and getting him smaller. 

#93 - Tyrion Davis Price (RB, LSU) 

D. We just did this last year with Trey Sermon and I gave the pick a C...this year it's even worse because I'm meh on the position and I consider this a reach. Look, you want to take a running back here? I probably am more forgiving after letting the draft play out because I thought that they went faster than I expected. But he's so meh and he doesn't really offer you anything that you're missing in the running game. I hear a lot of people saying he'll be the bell cow and Mitchell will be change of pace...but here's the thing, that wasn't really Mitchell's game last year. He wasn't utilizing the outside zone and breaking off huge runs on the outside. That's one of the reasons we put Deebo back there - we lost it when Mostert went down. Mitchell's longest carry of the year was 39 yards and he topped 30 yards three times, I believe. He's a guy that did a better job between the tackles than I expected and then had some issues out in space. 

It feels like the niners wanted someone that they could trust to carry a workload of 50-60% and that was the most important thing as opposed to the actual quality of their play. He's just not that inspiring. His stats are completely buoyed by an outlier game against Florida. He averaged 8 yards a carry in that game and then averaged over 4.5 two other times the entire season, one of which was the 4.6 clip he had against McNeese St. He couldn't average 4 yards a carry against LA - Lafayette. He was not that efficient in college, doesn't run particularly well to the outside, and has no hands to speak of. He's a nice pass protector, I'll give him that. But like, this is a guy you can get late in the draft or even as a UDFA. He should not be a guy that I'm terrified of losing out on that I have to take him in round 3. Just such piss poor value imo. If you were just looking for a pretty basic guy to carry the load, I would have liked Abram Smith more and he went undrafted. Sure, he has his own warts (very vertical and leggy runner, inexperience in every facet of being a running back) but he's also slightly more versatile in the types of run he's capable of (IE, he's capable of stretching the field horizontally and doing a one cut and go to break out on pitches, has very few false steps). 

So for me, while I've always been pretty vocally against Shanny doing this, he continues to do it and I've adjusted to become a little more accepting in this instance. But this is an evaluation issue for me. I just don't think that this guy is anything special at all. Screams of JAG. Of course, I could be wrong. Hoping I am. But I'm also fully ready for Jordan Mason to come in to rookie camp and outplay him similar to Breida outplaying Joe Williams in 2017 lol. It's worth noting that the 49rs apparently had his top GPA speed clocked as the fifth fastest of those they checked out but I don't see it. He's consistently caught from behind on tape

I would have had a more kind grade on this if they had gone in a direction where the running back provided a little something of what the team didn't have. Kyren Williams had an awful draft season, but it never changed what he was going to be at the next level. He was always James White (with maybe a touch superior upside running the football). Yes, that's a bit of a niche role, but it's also an immediate contributor that the team needs and you could have waited. Multiple running backs could have provided the explosive element to the game that I don't think you're getting here. 

#105 - Danny Gray (WR, SMU) 

seems about right here. Like this pick from a traits standpoint. Yes, he has bad hands and a lack of production. But again, 4.3 speed and he's tremendous after the catch, which we know Shanny will take full advantage of when Gray is ready to play. He's not the biggest guy, but 185 pounds at 6 even is more than fine. For what he's bringing and what you think you're going to get from him, this is proper value and there's definitely no reason that Tyquan Thornton and Wandale Robinson should be going 50 picks before him on day 2. I don't think that Gray is ever going to be a 150 targets a season guy, but there's still some nice upside here. Like the Drake Jackson pick, I think that this is just a pick that makes a ton of sense with reasonable value. 

#134 - Spencer Burford (OL, UTSA) 

C+. I don't know how this selections wasn't Zach Tom, but I digress. I thought the value for Burford was solid. Not really a reach, not really a steal. This is around where I thought he would go. He's got tools...super nice arm length. Plays more athletic than he tests because I think he has some pretty clean feet overall. He can play mean. Here is a hilarious clip from David Lombardi from a game last year: 

The ultimate question here is where he ends up playing and whether you can clean him up technically speaking. He needs to add strength for sure, get cleaner in his blocks. Burford does fit the profile of the 49ers front office the lasts few years with drafting 4 years starter G/T projects (previously have done this with guys like Justin Skule, Colton McKivitz). Ordinarily, I would give this pick a B like I did for Gray and Jackson who were both appropriately valued and needed, but with Tom still on the board, I think he should have 100% been the choice given his proficiency at multiple positions and in the passing game. 

#172 - Samuel Womack (CB, Toledo)

???? I can't really comment on this because I basically had no knowledge of this dude leading into the draft. I can say that this is the guy that apparently the 49ers are very, very excited for. I've done a little research on him since the draft and there's some interesting stuff for sure. He's small but has very long arms that helps to mitigate some of that. The comp that keeps getting thrown around is DJ Reed, who was also taken in the fifth round by the niners and was a small corner with long arms. Reed wasn't cut because he was bad necessarily, but he couldn't stay healthy. The two of them are even weirdly similar with regards to their athletic traits. I like the aggressiveness and the ball skills, but again, don't really know enough to comfortably grade the selection. 

#187 - Nick Zakelj (OL, Fordham)

Another ?????? for me, though I will admit that while I'm slightly bullish on what I am researching on Womack, I'm bearish on what I read and see from Zakelj. While's he's  a tremendous athlete (9.85 RAS for an OG), he's going to be moving from LT to the interior in the NFL (center or guard). He's not nearly strong enough to play guard (not as detrimental if he ends up as center) and his technical skills are sorely lacking. As someone in the 49er forum mentioned, if you're going to move inside, you should at the very least have a really good initial, strong punch, and I'm not sure he even has that. He got absolutely destroyed at the senior bowl (especially by Winfrey). This doesn't seem like a badly valued pick - from what I read, this is a solid area for him to go in - and as mentioned earlier, this is right on brand for the 49ers FO (4 year starter, T/G, etc). 

#220 - Kalia Davis (IDL, UCF)

Three in a row for the ??????. This is for a different reason though. Davis has played 5 games in 2 years and if I had to guess, will redshirt 2022. He's already 24 years old. I just don't know where this is going.  If healthy, I think he goes before this pick because I think his play is pretty nice, so I think the value is good for the quality of player, but if he can't get on the field and has minimal room for improvement (in part because he can't get on the field) then you're just kind of spinning your tires in place. Very natural DJ Jones replacement as well if he can cleanly put on a couple of more pounds, but could be an excellent one gapping 1t. Built like a mini fridge, super fast initial step with a good ability to get underneath interior blockers. The Boise St game he put on an absolute clinic. I feel like I won't be surprised if he's a very, very useful player for a couple of years and then moves on, but I'm not sure how big the upside is here. 

#221 - Tariq Castro Fields (DB, PSU)

Honestly, this is probably the best value pick made by the 49ers for the draft, and I'm not sure he's an NFL player. I'd give this a very low weighted B+.  All I mean by that is that I thought he was probably going to go in the fifth round, if someone had taken him at the back of the 4th I wouldn't have been apoplectic about it and the niners got him at the end of the 6th. There are some nice workable traits here. He's big, faster than you think (I don't believe he plays as fast as he tests in part because I think he's stiffer than you want a corner to be), and a true perimeter guy if he sticks there. He's got some nice feet. But there's a chance that he's a weird tweener. Part of me isn't sure that he can keep up with some of the more clever receivers in the NFL and he can be exploited with over aggressiveness. I am not sure you want him at safety even though the traits would be nice because he's a truly awful tackler. He also lacks any sort of ball skills. So this is a weird situation where I wouldn't have been surprised if he had gone earlier, but I completely understand the idea of "okay, what the hell are we doing with him?". He's been around in college forever it feels like and he hasn't gotten better at things that he should have learned with experience (such as anticipating and reacting to double moves). I just have to wonder if he's not learning and processing what he should be. 

#262 - Brock Purdy (QB, ISU)

Okay, I'll preface this by saying okay, it's Mr Irrelevant so whatever, but yeah this is still a solid for me lol. Like, at least draft a guy that you think has the attributes to provide a ceiling of NFL starter at any position. As I mentioned in the 49er forum, Purdy is the guy that makes an excellent back up QB provided you never have to actually play him. Shanahan comped him to Nick Mullens and I don't think that's a bad comp, and Mullens had alllllllllllllll the great intangibles you wanted from a backup, but once he got figured out and had to play? Ooof. Not pretty. Ultimate best case scenario is like a less mobile Colt McCoy? I don't know...like, I'd rather just sign a vet to be my back up if you're looking for a locker room guy. Get the guy who's good in that way and can come in and maybe play okay. Andy Dalton signed for 3 million this year. I just don't think it's that complicated, to be honest. I don't quite understand the point of this selection. Purdy was a 4 year starter who never really managed to get better in college and he lacks any sort of physical skills to be a truly competent starter at the NFL level. 

Like, I'm 100% taking a guy like Verone McKinley with this pick. I'd buy on the upside of Jobe and the fact that maybe his foot just messed him up more than people get last year while playing. They ended up signing him as a UDFA so it's a bit of a wash, but hell, take Dohnovan West. You have a center that will soon retire (if not this year) and take the kid that's not yet 21 years old and was considered a potential round 3/4 pick. Even at pick 262 this just feels like such a wasted pick lol 

So yeah, overall I'd probably give it like a C. For me, the Ty Davis Price pick really hurt it, but all of the other picks were fine. Nothing too egregious when it comes to reaches, nothing to grand when it came to value. 

My initial impulse grade for the Packers was a B- and I think I'd stick with that grade.  It wasn't the most impressive class I've ever seen, but it also fits enough holes and the value wasn't bad on most of the picks.  I think the value the Packers got on Day 3 really saved this year's class, although I'm not arguing that Day 1 or Day 2 were bad by any means.

1.22 - Quay Walker [LB; Georgia]
Quay Walker wasn't someone who was really on my board for the Packers given their propensity for taking premium positions in the first round.  This was the first off-ball LBer the Packers have drafted in the first two rounds since AJ Hawk.  In fact, going back to when Ted Thompson was hired the Packers have only drafted four off-ball LBers (Abdul Hodges, AJ Hawk, Oren Burks, and Quay Walker), so the premium on the position was virtually non-existent.  After watching the transformation of the Packers' defense with De'Vondre Campbell as one of their starting backers, the premium on ILB probably went up under Joe Barry.  Positional value dwindles as you move down the draft, and Quay Walker was pretty clearly my LB2 behind Devin Lloyd.  But I also thought that Lloyd was a more scheme-specific fit and Walker being 2 years younger probably had Walker significantly higher on the Packers' board.  Lloyd coming off the board just 5 picks later solidified that opinion of mine.  I didn't really consider Krys Barnes to be an issue at ILB, but I thought the ceiling was pretty much already being hit so he moves into that LB3 role.  Quay Walker's athletic profiles pretty favorably to Luke Kuechly's, but given the difference in defensive schemes it was easier to see the translation of Kuechly.  There are concerns that Quay Walker's success had been inflated because of that Georgia DL.  Overall, I probably would have gone with one of the EDGE guys here (Karlaftis or JJ2) instead, but this is clearly Gute listening to his coaching staff.
Grade: C+

1.28 - Devonte Wyatt [DT; Georgia]
I really didn't have him on the Packers' board because of his age and the reported character concerns.  But the talent was glaringly obvious when you watch him play.  You don't usually find big guys with his kind of movement skills this late in the draft, and his athletic profiles compares similarly to former #3 overall pick, Quinnen Williams.  Hopefully, he has a better career then Williams has up to this point.  I'd also argue that his skillset wasn't highlighted in Athens as he was asked to do a ton of two-gap stuff.  The Packers have patched their DL together the last few years, and have really lacked any true interior pass rusher outside of Kenny Clark.
Grade: A-

2.34 - Christian Watson [WR; North Dakota State]
Finally, the Packers have drafted a WR but their streak of not drafting first round WRs continues.  Ironically speaking, the last time the Packers drafted a first round WR was 2002 when they took Javon Walker, which is a nearly identical athletic profile to Christian Watson.  In terms of physical attributes, Watson is a near perfect mold of what you want from a WR.  I think you could easily make an argument that Watson might have the highest ceiling of all the WRs in this year's draft including Jameson Williams.  But he's under-developed and didn't run a very diverse route tree while at North Dakota State.  His routes consisted mainly of vertical routes and end-arounds utilizing his athleticism.  He had a history of drops over his career, but they seemed to be limited in his senior year with only 2 drops.
Grade: B

3.92 - Sean Rhyan [OG/OT; UCLA]
The Packers have STRUGGLED badly drafting in the 3rd round under Brian Gutekunst, so hopefully the streak ends with this pick.  Sean Rhyan can absolutely maul guys.  The man's hands are ridiculously large, and when he gets his hands on you it's usually over.  While some believe he can be passable at tackle, it appears guard is his future and I think he's more likely then not to be a starting guard at some point this year alongside Jon Runyan Jr.  He lacks the long arms to play tackle, but at guard it probably won't be as much of an issue and his experience at LT while at UCLA was a selling point for the Packers presumably.
Grade: A

4.132 - Romeo Doubs [WR; Nevada]
I would argue that Doubs' offensive scheme did him less favors for his draft status, and if he would have ran a more diverse route tree would have been an early Day 2 pick.  Maybe even late Day 1 with how highly WRs were valued this offseason.  Combine that with him dealing with a knee injury that prevented him working out at the Combine and Pro Day, and his stock probably was below his talent level.  If we're being honest, I think Doubs is more likely to contribute Day 1 then Watson, but Watson's upside is significantly higher then Doubs'.
Grade: B+

4.140 - Zack Tom [OL; Wake Forest]
Honestly, I don't think the Packers intended to draft another OL in the first five rounds of the draft, but when Zach Tom fell into the fourth round it was too much value to pass up.  Tom can legitimately play every position on the OL, and he probably starts the year as the backup swing OT and backup C while he develops some more strength.  Given a year in the S&C room, I think there's a decent chance he could be a starting RT or C in a year.

5.179 - Kingley Enagbare [OLB; South Carolina]
I'm not a huge fan of Kingsley, but the value in the 5th round is going to be hard to beat.  In terms of athletic skills, he's a pedestrian athlete which is going to turn teams off since most teams are looking for the athletic type at EDGE, but his production is hard to beat even if it didn't translate into sacks.  I believe he was top 5 among pass rushers in terms of QB pressure and win rate in college, so the Packers are gambling that his physical limitations won't prevent him from having success in the NFL.  I think his upside is limited, but his floor is relatively high and I think he can develop into a nice EDGE3.

7.228 - Tariq Carpenter [LB; Georgia Tech]
Generally speaking, in the 7th round you're usually drafting guys who you view as UDFA so you're probably not drafting future starters.  I think you usually angle to grab either high upside, red flagged players or core ST players with these picks.  Carpenter falls into the latter, and he probably was one of Rich's picks.  He's a sure tackler even if his coverage skills don't translate into the NFL.  But if he's playing on defense, then things are probably going horribly wrong.

7.234 - Jonathan Ford [DT; Miami (FL)]
I don't really hate this pick, but this is going to be always a fringe roster guy more often then not.  I don't think that Ford does anything to really change this room as anything more then a run plug, but the Packers avoided having to woo him in the UDFA market.  He doesn't really offer much in the way of pass rush, but he can anchor against the run.

7.249 - Rasheed Walker [OT; Penn State]
Again, I don't think the Packers intended to draft more OL after what they already had taken, but the value is almost too overwhelming to pass up.  Between the maturity concerns and his inconsistent play at Penn State, he fell in the draft despite having tools and athleticism that project well to the NFL.  With some good coaching, he could potentially develop into a starting tackle in the future.

7.258 - Samouri Toure [WR; Nebraska]
Samouri Toure doesn't really do anything for me, although you can see why the Packers gambled on him.  His production in his one year at Nebraska wasn't anything special, and his athletic profile isn't anything to write home about but his production was there whether it be at Montana or Nebraska.
Grade: C

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Raiders

90. Dylan Parham | IOL | Memphis

We desperately needed to improve on the offensive line and Parham projects as a day one starter with positional versatility as he could realistically start at any of the 3 interior OL spots. Not a sexy pick but one that should pay dividends and was a good value where we landed him.

122. Zamir White | RB | Georgia

He projects as a future starter at RB so I understand the rationale behind the pick as Jacobs/Drake are both on the final year of their deals but I think that we could've used the pick to address another position of need. White doesn't project to play much as a rookie unless we trade someone or one of our guys gets hurt. I like it for the future but would've preferred someone else.

126. Neil Farrell Jr | NT | LSU

We've had a revolving door at DT for a while and have also been one of the worst teams in the league at stopping the run over the past couple of seasons. Farrell doesn't provide much juice as a pass rusher but projects as a guy that can step in as a rotational piece as a rookie and help improve our run defense. Not a sexy pick but another role player who should stick around for us for a while. 

175. Matthew Butler | DT | Tennessee

Loved the value of where we landed him and as mentioned above he should help provide some depth/stability for our interior defensive line going forward. The only concern that I have with him is that he projects more as a 4-3 3T and we seem to be trending towards playing more 3-4 looks, he also doesn't really have a ton of juice as a pass rusher. I don't see him as a starter but should be a solid backup.

238. Thayer Munford | OT | Ohio State

I was surprised that he was still on the board this late in the draft but I loved the pick. Three year starter at LT for Ohio State and also showed some versatility moving inside to OG last season. Multiple time All-Conference performer with good size/length, not sure he'll ever be a starter but has a good chance to stick around as a backup.

250. Brittain Brown | RB | UCLA

A second RB here made absolutely zero sense to me, wasted pick.

Grade: F