Now That The Draft Is Done...

17 hours ago, LionArkie said:

You are free to think however you want. As I said ouch, that’s a rough line to take on two pass plays for the season. I’d hate to be evaluated on 0.4% of my pass plays that began at the beginning of the year with a new team. If he continued playing like that for the entire season, then yeah, I get it. But since he was night and day different from the time DC took over the play calling then yeah, ouch.

so who would you have faith in instead?

It's rare to see a QB throw the ball away on 4th down. Stafford has had many a int forcing throws on 4th downs. He competed.

2 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

It's rare to see a QB throw the ball away on 4th down. Stafford has had many a int forcing throws on 4th downs. He competed.

I'd rather an incompletion than an INT, if the play is just not there. As much as I love #9, an interception can either be a long punt (not bad) or returned as a pick 6 (really bad). Maybe it wouldn't make a difference in the outcome of the game if it's an INT and/or pick 6 vs converting the down. In that case, you do have to take the shot. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Just to argue the point, a throwaway on 4th down is just as bad as an INT, in fact it's usually worse bc an INT is downfield, it can almost be like a punt.

An INT can be returned for a TD.  throwing it away was stupid and annoying but not worse than an INT IMO.  But he also wasnt put in the best situation to play well early.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

An INT can be returned for a TD.  throwing it away was stupid and annoying but not worse than an INT IMO.  But he also wasnt put in the best situation to play well early.  

Exactly. Not to mention on one of those throw aways, I think Goff said it was a mental gaff. The second he supposedly sailed it according to Goff. Maybe that's an excuse, maybe its not. But after all this coaching staff has said about being competitive and wanting the type of player who never quits, I think he'd be done in Detroit.

I remember when not too long ago everyone got upset on this forum how Stafford threw those ints and said he could never do it. Boy how the times have changed.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm no Goff apologist. But he is the best we have now, and might be serviceable. Might be. He no longer will have any excuses. This roster is much better than last years and if he can perform this year like he did in the second half of the season, then I like where we are going. If not, then we better pony up for a qb next year.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 2

One thing that someone brought up and I think is of value/importance, Jameson Williams played at 190-195 before being injured. He's not the 179 guy that he is now under normal circumstances. The concerns that we had about him being small are apparently not legit since he is on the bigger side (in comparison to a De'Vonta Smith). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

One thing that someone brought up and I think is of value/importance, Jameson Williams played at 190-195 before being injured. He's not the 179 guy that he is now under normal circumstances. The concerns that we had about him being small are apparently not legit since he is on the bigger side (in comparison to a De'Vonta Smith). 

Isaac Bruce and Marvin Harrison had 185 Lbs and 180 Lbs and they played in an era where DBs could be a lot more physical.  I suspect if he is healthy he will do just fine.

• Like 1

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

Isaac Bruce and Marvin Harrison had 185 Lbs and 180 Lbs and they played in an era where DBs could be a lot more physical.  I suspect if he is healthy he will do just fine.

He could be at those weights although there's certainly question marks for a guy at 179 and a sleight build. However, he normally plays 10 - 15 lbs heavier at 190-195. So even if he could play at 180, he doesn't and likely won't have to. Bama and ESPN have him listed at 189, which is 10 lbs heavier. So even if he goes back to his normal listed weight, he'll have added on 10 lbs from now. 

I've looked at several videos on Jamo now and I don't think this guy is just a deep threat. I saw lots of mid-range passes, WR screens, some jet sweeps, plenty of YAC, plenty of times taking hits over the middle and making first downs. I can't speak to his route running ability because I don't know what play calls are and there aren't any start-to-end breakdowns of his technique that I've seen, but I think he's going to be good at other things besides fly and post routes.

Jaylen Waddle is 5'10, 185, Devonta Smith is 6', 170, Chris Olave is 6', 187 and Garrett Wilson is 6', 190. Jamo is 6'2", 180. Pretty comparable imo. (These are all Wikipedia numbers fwiw)

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 9:20 AM, Karnage84 said:

It feels like you're right since they were reportedly happy with their LB corp pre-draft and most of us expected that to be some sort of smokescreen. 

I'm very curious to see Malcolm Rodriguez and what he can do. We've had deficiencies in coverage at LB and from everything I've read, that's also not one of his strong suits.  

Haven’t heard of him being poor in coverage. I’d think it would be one of his strong suits considering his elite speed

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

I've looked at several videos on Jamo now and I don't think this guy is just a deep threat. I saw lots of mid-range passes, WR screens, some jet sweeps, plenty of YAC, plenty of times taking hits over the middle and making first downs. I can't speak to his route running ability because I don't know what play calls are and there aren't any start-to-end breakdowns of his technique that I've seen, but I think he's going to be good at other things besides fly and post routes.

Jaylen Waddle is 5'10, 185, Devonta Smith is 6', 170, Chris Olave is 6', 187 and Garrett Wilson is 6', 190. Jamo is 6'2", 180. Pretty comparable imo. (These are all Wikipedia numbers fwiw)

Williams was highly impressive. Bama likely wins the NC if he doesn't get hurt. UGA had no answer for him. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 6:02 PM, Miblue said:

Haven’t heard of him being poor in coverage. I’d think it would be one of his strong suits considering his elite speed

From what I've been reading in scouting reports, that hasn't been the case. However, I also believe that he has been a safety (and also played QB) so it doesn't make a ton of sense. 

PFF scores

• 2021 - 81.3
  • 2020 - 79.7
  • 2019 - 66.1
  • 2018 - 47.5

Overview
"Linebacker whose draft slotting will be a litmus test for how teams value tape and productivity against size deficiencies. Rodriguez carries a compact, sawed-off frame that is muscular but stubby. His transition from read to flow is seamless, with some of the cleanest GPS to the football in this draft. He's straight-line fast but lacks the looseness for sudden lateral bursts, which could limit his range as an NFL tackler. He can play on third downs but is very average in that department. Rodriguez has been a career gap-hog, finding and finishing runners who come his way. His floor is as a good backup and core special teams player, but the smart bet might be to project his impact production to follow him into the league, with Rodriguez eventually starting as a 3-4 inside linebacker."

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/malcolm-rodriguez/3200524f-4468-8025-e312-d977094cdc1f

I know that I had read it somewhere else specifically referring to coverage but not gonna dig too deep. I certainly hope his PFF scores match his on field production for us. 

I really like Holmes and to this point I’m certainly happy with what he’s doing. Holmes, DC and the rest of the coaches changed the culture. The team plays with purpose, no matter what. 

They have put together a potentially very good offence. Barring injuries Goff has the opportunity for success. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I really like Holmes and to this point I’m certainly happy with what he’s doing. Holmes, DC and the rest of the coaches changed the culture. The team plays with purpose, no matter what. 

They have put together a potentially very good offence. Barring injuries Goff has the opportunity for success. 

And if he isn't (injury or not), we have assets to acquire someone who can have success with what has been built. 

- Top 10 OL (barring injury)

- Assets at WR

- Established rushing attack

- Depth at edge rusher (we're at least 2-3 deep at each spot)

The biggest question marks on the team lie in the secondary - both at safety and corner (however, we have seen flashes from several guys); and linebacker (if we're running a 4-2-5 variation, you've already mitigated the risk and we could be surprised). 

If Goff fails out, we trade up to draft a rookie (Stroud/Young) or a veteran (in the mold of a Stafford-esque move), it shouldn't stop us from building out some of the remaining gaps. 

• Like 2