2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

It’s never to early to look ahead, especially when have have 2 1st rounders again! 

I know a lot can change in 12 months, but next years class has some elite talent in it. Shaping up to have some good depth at edge and OT. Plus some exciting skill guys like Jaxson Smith-Njigba, Bijan Robinson, the Georgia Tech transfer RB to Bama is electric. Just to name a few.

I do expect to see growth in Mills and see us picking in the mid to early teens. The Jags will be better with Pederson as HC and a solid draft. Tennesse took a step backwards in my eyes, and Indy will be solid but no world beater IMO.

Cleveland’s 1st will all depend on the suspension Watson receives. 

• Like 1

LOL I literally was about to make the thread.  I'm excited for the 2023 draft.  We have plenty of draft capital to move up if needbe.  I'm on the Will Anderson hype train.

1st rounder (own)

1st rounder (Browns)

2nd rounder

3rd rounder (own)

3rd rounder (Browns)

4th

5th

6th (Giants)

6th (Saints)

6th (Niners)

7th (own)

7 (Seahawks)

Edited by Texansfan713
  • Like 1

I’ll be checking out the QBs (unless Davis Mills gives me a reason not to). Bryce Young and CJ Stroud are the headliners, but I expect resurgent seasons from Spencer Rattler and DJ Uiagalelei. Hendon Hooker and Anthony Richardson might be the two top guys this time next season, we’ll have to see.

Mills has to have an elite 2nd year. Reason being, just a good year will make decision makers still wonder if he is the guy, especially they are drafting top 3 again. Stroud & Young will always be tantalizing with that higher ceiling otherwise  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Blaze said:

Mills has to have an elite 2nd year. Reason being, just a good year will make decision makers still wonder if he is the guy, especially they are drafting top 3 again. Stroud & Young will always be tantalizing with that higher ceiling otherwise  

It also helps we have the ammo to move up if we need to in the draft. Hopefully he either shows us he's the guy or he falls on his face. Worst case scenario is a season where he shows some flashes and we're stuck in this middle ground. 

• Like 2

Never too early for a Mock Draft…

https://theathletic.com/3290071/2022/05/03/nfl-mock-draft-2023/?source=user_shared_article

A few notes:

- This quick assumption is that Davis Mills goes the way of Gardner Minshew and leads the Texans to the #1 pick. Enter CJ Stroud, the OSU product who is widely viewed as QB1 in this draft. Not as polished as Alabama QB Bryce Young, Stroud brings in a ton of physical upside and arm talent that would have landed him in the top 10 this year (if not 1.2 to Detroit).

- Side note on this #1: If the Texans are picking in the top 5, the ONLY way it should NOT be a QB is if Davis Mills has a season that the Browns QB had in 2020, 4,000+ yards with a 3:1 TD:INT ratio. If the Texans are picking anywhere between 15-20 with their original  pick and/or Mills has a statistically dominant season, give him a year or two. But if this team is on the clock early, is probably means Mills failed. Even if he himself didn’t fail, you can’t look a gifted QB in the mouth based on “what ifs”.

- Side note on this #2: My bold take will be that neither Stroud or Young will be QB1 or QB2. I am expecting a meteoric rise from Florida QB Anthony Richardson and Tennessee QB Hendon Hooker. Richardson might be a more athletic Josh Allen, Hooker compares pretty favorably to that Browns QB we all know about. Either way, there are 4-6 guys with first round potential, and that’s without projecting guys like South Carolina QB Spencer Rattler or Clemson QB DJ Uiagalelei bouncing back. And if THIS fails to land the QBOTF, then you’re really putting stock in a guy like Caleb Williams or Jaxson Dart (I’m not, tbh - the next Texans QB needs to either be this years’ current starter or available in the ‘23 draft).

- The next FRP is 24, so The Athletic is assuming that Browns QB isn’t getting suspended. The pickup here is Georgia C Sedrick Van Pran. While I like the positional selection here (IOL FTW!) I feel as if this is a bit of Georgia sheen from the evaluators. Yes, Georgia is a FANTASTIC team, but to have another 4-5 FRPs next season? Someone is assuming they’re 01-04 Miami Hurricanes good (which is highly unlikely). I’d personally like to see an Edge drafted highly in this draft; I doubt Will Anderson is going to make it past the top 3 (he’s Aaron Donald-level good - I wouldn’t shed a tear at all if he went 1.1) but BJ Ojulari from LSU or Zach Harrison from OSU should be available with the Browns QB pick.

- T depth is REALLY thin. If the Texans don’t extend Tytus Howard, the hope is that Charlie Heck is ready, because there’s no real guy worth taking at the position.

- Sorta glad Derek Stingley was the pick this draft. CB/DB depth is pretty lacking next season. A lot of toolsy guys, but not a standout among them; Future #2 CBs out there at best. That extra 3rd from Cleveland could be used to find a “Robin” to Stingley’s “Batman”.

- If Dameon Pierce doesn’t become the guy, take Bijan Robinson out of Texas, ASAP. He’s a special talent, comparable to Dalvin Cook and assuredly a FRP (health permitting). Robinson might be one of those RBs who IS worth a 2nd contract.

- As of now, there’s a lot more top end talent in the ‘23 draft (but that’s what was said this time LAST season, so who knows?) Texans will be big names in the process again, given their four picks inside the top 100 (for now). We’ll see what mind tricks Jedi Master Caserio has at his disposal this time.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I’d say there’s no chance we arent picking in the top 10 and hopefully the browns tank it up until watson comes back and then he struggles the rest of the year. Of course we all know that you can have Watson as your QB and still pick top 5. 

top needs will be 

LT, unless we are better than anticipated. Honestly I’d be trying to get Dallas to take Tunsil for a monster haul. If we were to be competitive then we could keep Tunsil, he’s not that old. 

QB, again I’m rooting for the guy, want him to succeed but I don’t think he’s good enough. Would gladly be wrong on this one. 

DE, we don’t have good young depth on the edge and we need it. 

other than those 3 positions we’ve got young talent in place and can go BPA. We could always use another safety or CB. Could upgrade at linebacker I suppose. Always need more WRs and we’ve been searching for a stud TE for years and haven’t found one. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 8:34 AM, ET80 said:

I am expecting a meteoric rise from Florida QB Anthony Richardson and Tennessee QB Hendon Hooker.

Gonna double down on this - I feel solid on Hooker, but going to go all in on Richardson at 1.1; That performance against Utah is the first of many signature wins for the 6' 4" 230lb freak athlete.

I can't say whether or not the Texans are picking 1.1, but whoever is picking there is grabbing Richardson.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Gonna double down on this - I feel solid on Hooker, but going to go all in on Richardson at 1.1; That performance against Utah is the first of many signature wins for the 6' 4" 230lb freak athlete.

I can't say whether or not the Texans are picking 1.1, but whoever is picking there is grabbing Richardson.

I’ll disagree. It’s gonna be hard to rise above stroud at this point. 

• Like 1