2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

On 11/17/2022 at 6:08 PM, mse326 said:

We always wish for big signings but they never happen. I will admit though my dream is to spend on Hargrave and Bates.

Circling back on this: are we sure that Nick Caserio wouldn’t go for a big signing? The last two years - his first two years as a GM - he’s been sitting on a significant amount of dead cap; Nobody could make a big signing while slogging off the dead cap over the past two seasons. Texans had the most dead cap last year by a lot and were close to the top this year too (Atlanta beat the Texans by virtue of the Matt Ryan trade).

Now that’s he’s done with that - who is to say he isn’t going to spend a bit? He’s formerly part of a regime who paid big money to bring in guys such as Junior Seau (2006) Adaleus Thomas (2007) Danny Amendola (2013) Darrelle Revis (2014) Stephon Gilmore (2017) amongst other names. I’m not even considering some of the lower level names they signed to short deals (LeGarrette Blount, Kyle Van Noy, Jabaal Sheard, Danny Shelton, Sexy Rexy) I’m talking multi year, big money offers (Revis was $16mm a year, the highest paid CB in football at the time). That’s a key component of where Nick Caserio came from, and I have a hard time believing that was 100% Belly’s influence.

I get that FA splashes aren’t “The Texans way” but was that a cultural thing from ownership… or was it specific to Rick Smith/Brian Gaine/BoB/Jack Easterby?

We’ll wait and see what Caserio does with $100mm in cap space - but with no pending FAs worth keeping, no players worth extending to a long term deal and a salary floor to reach per the CBA, Caserio might have no choice but to spend a bit. Hopefully there’s a nice name such as Bates in there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, brownie man said:

Don’t get too attached to the idea. 

you’ll probably be 15-18 range. 

we’re going to win more games with Deshaun back

I wouldn’t count on getting drastically better with a guy that hasn’t played football in 2 years. He’s gonna be a good player moving forward but not this year. I’ll say y’all struggle even when he’s back. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I wouldn’t count on getting drastically better with a guy that hasn’t played football in 2 years. He’s gonna be a good player moving forward but not this year. I’ll say y’all struggle even when he’s back. 

Some people think that. I think he might be a little shaky the first half, but this is different in that he’s not coming back from injury. He’s been fully healthy practicing. Even when he was with you all he was still practicing. 

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

Some people think that. I think he might be a little shaky the first half, but this is different in that he’s not coming back from injury. He’s been fully healthy practicing. Even when he was with you all he was still practicing. 

Did you see how bad he looked in that preseason game?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

Did you see how bad he looked in that preseason game?

He played two series our starting center went down the second snap and our WR Schwartz who sucks and we don’t play anymore dropped two passes that would’ve went for first downs. 

Go back and watch it for yourself. Those two drives mean nothing. 

But y’all will see next week. Pre order your Bryce Young jerseys. He’s gonna be good. 

On 11/23/2022 at 7:58 PM, brownie man said:

So… the first half, as in the first three games? So he’ll be better… for the final three games of the season?

And those *three* games are going to be the difference between top 10 to 15-18?

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So… the first half, as in the first three games? So he’ll be better… for the final three games of the season?

And those *three* games are going to be the difference between top 10 to 15-18?

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

No I meant first half of our game next week specifically. A mix of rust and shock based on the booing of the crowd. 

But after the first half I’m expecting us to whoop y’all up and he look like his normal pro bowl self. 

but we’ll see. A week away man it’s been a long time coming. 

Just now, brownie man said:

No I meant first half of our game next week specifically. A mix of rust and shock based on the booing of the crowd. 

Again - guy hasn’t played in nearly two years… and is now taking the field for the first time… in a brand new system… with brand new teammates he’s never played with before… in probably the most hostile environment he’ll ever experience to this point.

I think it’ll be more than a half, but it’s not like you’ll need him to win.

4 minutes ago, brownie man said:

But after the first half I’m expecting us to whoop y’all up and he look like his normal pro bowl self. 

The last time we saw him play, he went 4-12 with a team that’s not much worse than this Cleveland team - so we’ll see who shows up and if it’ll really move the needle that much.

On 11/17/2022 at 3:12 PM, mse326 said:

I don't think that highly of Stroud and Young.

At this point, passing on Young should be a fireable offense - it’s not that he’s racking up a ton of yards and points against Auburn, it’s that he’s making it look REALLY easy. Every throw is effortless, every run is effortless, he’s in full control of everything going on right now.

At this point, Young at 1.1 should be a foregone conclusion - I love Will Anderson, but Young can completely rewrite this offense’s DNA and make our current lineup better than they currently are. I’d prefer Young and best defensive player available over Anderson and best QB available.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

At this point, passing on Young should be a fireable offense - it’s not that he’s racking up a ton of yards and points against Auburn, it’s that he’s making it look REALLY easy. Every throw is effortless, every run is effortless, he’s in full control of everything going on right now.

At this point, Young at 1.1 should be a foregone conclusion - I love Will Anderson, but Young can completely rewrite this offense’s DNA and make our current lineup better than they currently are. I’d prefer Young and best defensive player available over Anderson and best QB available.

But my pick is a different option. Anderson and WR/TE then do QB next year when there are absolute studs. I see a good QB in Young, but not a franchise guy. I know it isn't going to happen but that is what I'd do. There are so many wholes on this team, even a great QB only get's us to a handful of wins tops. I've always been of the mind it is better to build the team then get the QB. That doesn't mean we have all but QB, but I want there to be some semblance of a team first. We have nothing.