2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

19 hours ago, ET80 said:

Remember when people wanted to punt the season for Caleb Williams in 2024? Yesterday is a blunt reminder of why you can’t plan on that.

The Texans held the #1 pick up until :50 left in W18 - and this is arguably the worst Texans team in history. Guaranteed #1 picks is nearly impossible when you telegraph your intentions so blatantly.

Stop looking a gifted horse in the mouth, evaluate all QBs and take the best one available at 2. Stop over complicating things.

More franchises have failed by doing the we have to take a QB strategy. If there isn't one worth it, and I personally don't think there is, then you can't just say oh well.

And it isn't just Williams Maye is far superior to the QBs this year as well

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mse326 said:

More franchises have failed by doing the we have to take a QB strategy. If there isn't one worth it, and I personally don't think there is, then you can't just say oh well.

And this is where we disagree. I think there's three (Young, Stroud, Richardson) and I think the majority of the NFL agrees with me. Unlike last year (where the first QB went in the 20s) I am guessing four will come off the board in the top 15 - because this class of QBs has at least one star and two very competent QBs (and one who has bust potential, but can be a star IF he lands in Seattle). 

You can't walk away from them because you think '24 has a better class.

9 hours ago, mse326 said:

And it isn't just Williams Maye is far superior to the QBs this year as well

Yeah, I'll need to watch more of Maye, because I came away very unimpressed with him - this time last year, I felt much more confident on the limited views of Young/Stroud then I do on Maye. And unless guys such as DJ Uialeuguei or Spencer Rattler come out as the guys we thought they'd be, you can't really bet on QB3 the way you can on Richardson (who I feel is significantly better than Rattler, DJ, Michael Penix, Cam Rising, Bo Nix or anyone else currently projected as early '24 guys).

6 hours ago, mse326 said:

More franchises have failed by doing the we have to take a QB strategy. 

Let's play a game - tell me about the great success of the Houston Texans and their two FRP QBs over the past 20+ years. 

The Texans actually have a strong record in the first round, historically - from Andre Johnson to JJ Watt to Duane Brown to Dunta Robinson to Whitney Mercilius to Brian Cushing to DeAndre Hopkins - you have a resounding hit rate on non QB positions in the first. It's pretty remarkable, it's easier to list the first round busts at non-QB positions (Travis Johnson, Jason Babin, Kevin Johnson, Amobi Okoye and Will Fuller). 

How many banners did that lead to? Is it a coincidence that the greatest sustained success from this franchise... came with a first round pick at QB?

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Let's play a game - tell me about the great success of the Houston Texans and their two FRP QBs over the past 20+ years. 

The Texans actually have a strong record in the first round, historically - from Andre Johnson to JJ Watt to Duane Brown to Dunta Robinson to Whitney Mercilius to Brian Cushing to DeAndre Hopkins - you have a resounding hit rate on non QB positions in the first. It's pretty remarkable, it's easier to list the first round busts at non-QB positions (Travis Johnson, Jason Babin, Kevin Johnson, Amobi Okoye and Will Fuller). 

How many banners did that lead to? Is it a coincidence that the greatest sustained success from this franchise... came with a first round pick at QB?

1st round QBs are just different. Success can come from any round but when a 1st round QB comes in, he is usually given every resource possible to succeed. There was a reason Mills was given bones. He was a 3rd round pick. I expect whichever QB they chose to be given a 2nd weapon with their 2nd 1st pick. When Deshaun came in, he had Hop and later Fuller but he was failed on the OL. 

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

The greatest sustained success came with Schaub, not Watson. And it isn't even particularly close

4 minutes ago, mse326 said:

The greatest sustained success came with Schaub, not Watson. And it isn't even particularly close

Two years and one playoff win for both. That's not success, if we're being blunt. But it's about neck and neck. And you're avoiding the question.

How much success has this franchise had while not drafting a QB? You talk about failed franchises - hello!? The Texans are one of them.

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm higher on Stroud today than I was yesterday - part of it is because the predicament we find ourselves in, part of it is because he was able to go punch to punch with Georgia.

And this is a HUGE problem

situation should never influence you evaluation of a player and weighing one game over a career is nonsensical, even if it is an important game. Flacco isn't a GOAT because he had a great 2012 playoffs.

Stroud is now what he was before the semifinal.

Just now, mse326 said:

And this is a HUGE problem

situation should never influence you evaluation of a player and weighing one game over a career is nonsensical, even if it is an important game. Flacco isn't a GOAT because he had a great 2012 playoffs.

Stroud is now what he was before the semifinal.

He was always QB2 and a top 10 selection prior to that game. That never changed. He's closed the gap between him and Young - I've been steadfast on that even before 1.1 was gone.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Two years and one playoff win for both. That's not success, if we're being blunt. But it's about neck and neck. And you're avoiding the question.

How much success has this franchise had while not drafting a QB? You talk about failed franchises - hello!? The Texans are one of them.

We had more success with Schaub than Watson and Carr combined.

How have the Browns done with Baker, and Manziel, and Weeden, and Brady Quinn

Or the Bears with Fields, and Trubisky, and Grossman, and McCown

Or the Jets with Wilson and Darnold

Daniel Jones is what happens when you take a QB just to take a QB