2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

So, Daniel Jeremiah has the Texans taking Bryce Young at 2, which works out well for some of us.

At pick 12, however - he has the Texans taking Penn State CB Joey Porter Jr. The son of the former Steelers LB is a long and rangy CB who would pair up with CB Derek Stingley Jr and S Jalen Pitre to form up a potentially dominant secondary. Both Stingley and Porter Jr are adept press man CBs, guys who have demonstrated the ability to play on an island (in college, at least). Stingley looked reasonable for a rookie, and can be expected to improve in a new system. Porter has the physicality and mental toughness to shadow a 1 or 2, so having two guys cut from that cloth can take care of a lot of issues on defense.

Who’d be against picking up a CB early in this draft?

Not me. I’m still not even sure that Stingley will be in the league in 3 years. All the physical tools but he’s a guy that’s had major injury problems. Taking him at 3 was a major set back for our franchise. 

19 hours ago, ET80 said:

So, Daniel Jeremiah has the Texans taking Bryce Young at 2, which works out well for some of us.

At pick 12, however - he has the Texans taking Penn State CB Joey Porter Jr. The son of the former Steelers LB is a long and rangy CB who would pair up with CB Derek Stingley Jr and S Jalen Pitre to form up a potentially dominant secondary. Both Stingley and Porter Jr are adept press man CBs, guys who have demonstrated the ability to play on an island (in college, at least). Stingley looked reasonable for a rookie, and can be expected to improve in a new system. Porter has the physicality and mental toughness to shadow a 1 or 2, so having two guys cut from that cloth can take care of a lot of issues on defense.

Who’d be against picking up a CB early in this draft?

I wouldnt.  I hope at pick 12 we go BPA on defense regardless of position assuming Quentin Johnston is off the board when we select. 

• Like 1

Draft might be impacted by bringing in some 49er players as well

Emmanuel Moseley is a good CB who is still young and probably wont have much of a market coming off injury.

Jimmie Ward is another guy who could help in the secondary. 

Samson Ebukam is a free agent at DE 

Azeez Al=Shaair is a free agent at Linebacker

I wouldnt be surprised if we look at any of these guys, all 49er defensive players at a position of need for us. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Jimmie Ward is another guy who could help in the secondary.

Ward is the type of FA I’d like to see signed - vet guy, has experience he can bring to the secondary, understands the assignments from the position.

I’d also keep any Jets FA in consideration; Robert Saleh was the 49ers DC when Ryans was coming up as a LB coach, and I’d surmise there’s a familiarity with the skillsets and system knowledge that the Jets players have that could be turned over here once Meco installs his systems.

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

Kiper's mock today has us taking Stroud at 2 (Carter went 1 to the Bears), and Iowa DL'man Lukas Van Ness at pick 12.   Interesting enough he has Quentin Johnston mocked all the way to 22.

A lot of people are starting to turn off on Johnston - the criticism is that he’s really stiff in his routes (which is weird, he’s surprisingly quick with the ball in his hands) and body catches a lot more than he should.

These are correctable issues (especially the route running) but teams wanting an immediate impact player will need to wait for Johnston to iron out these wrinkles; If a team wants a guy who is “out of the box” ready at WR, then Jordan Addison is probably the guy most coveted (with the understanding that his upside is very limited vs Johnston). 

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say Johnston is sharing the top spot at WR with Addison - and both are behind TE Michael Mayer and RB Bijan Robinson in regards to best skill position player on offense. Johnston is still a first rounder, but I think he’s closer to top 20 to top 10 (JMHO).

With all of this talk about DeMeco and the Kubiak/Shanahan offense he’s going to bring - I am bracing myself for Will Levis over Bryce Young. Levis has Schaub/Garoppolo/Purdy type tools that can be used efficiently in that sort of system; While Young might be more dynamic of a player, his skillset isn’t as valuable as it would be in a spread/read type offense.

I think I’m going to start breaking these positional rankings based on perceived coaching staffs - each staff is different and likely values QB skills differently.

- Ryans: Stroud/Levis/Young/Richardson 

- Gannon (Streichen): Young/Stroud/Richardson/Levis

- Kafka: Young/Richardson/Stroud/Levis

- Evero: Stroud/Young/Levis/Richardson 

(Call it a hunch).

10 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:
1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

Kiper's mock today has us taking Stroud at 2 (Carter went 1 to the Bears), and Iowa DL'man Lukas Van Ness at pick 12.   Interesting enough he has Quentin Johnston mocked all the way to 22.

Kiper is NEVER right about anything 

Eh - I think he’s like anyone else in this racket, gets as many right as he does wrong. He’s the first one to call Aiden Hutchinson going to Detroit as opposed to Jacksonville (he didn’t like Travon Walker, but saw that play out as it did).

He also had Sauce Gardner as the 2nd best player in the draft - the 1st team All Pro was originally mocked to the Lions by Kiper and only slotted behind Hutchinson as BPA. 

I wouldn’t call him great, but I also don’t call him completely wrong.

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Eh - I think he’s like anyone else in this racket, gets as many right as he does wrong. He’s the first one to call Aiden Hutchinson going to Detroit as opposed to Jacksonville (he didn’t like Travon Walker, but saw that play out as it did).

He also had Sauce Gardner as the 2nd best player in the draft - the 1st team All Pro was originally mocked to the Lions by Kiper and only slotted behind Hutchinson as BPA. 

I wouldn’t call him great, but I also don’t call him completely wrong.

According to google some dude named Brenden Donahue is the most accurate guy over the last 5 years. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of him. 

32 minutes ago, ET80 said:

With all of this talk about DeMeco and the Kubiak/Shanahan offense he’s going to bring - I am bracing myself for Will Levis over Bryce Young. Levis has Schaub/Garoppolo/Purdy type tools that can be used efficiently in that sort of system; While Young might be more dynamic of a player, his skillset isn’t as valuable as it would be in a spread/read type offense.

I think I’m going to start breaking these positional rankings based on perceived coaching staffs - each staff is different and likely values QB skills differently.

- Ryans: Stroud/Levis/Young/Richardson 

- Gannon (Streichen): Young/Stroud/Richardson/Levis

- Kafka: Young/Richardson/Stroud/Levis

- Evero: Stroud/Young/Levis/Richardson 

(Call it a hunch).

To be honest, if it is Demeco making the decisions as a HC, I can live with Levis as the selection at #2. I do think though, Ryans may want to go Anderson or Carter and get a vet to play QB. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blaze said:

To be honest, if it is Demeco making the decisions as a HC, I can live with Levis as the selection at #2. I do think though, Ryans may want to go Anderson or Carter and get a vet to play QB. 

I think a lot of that is possible - but I also think they understand this is just as much a business decision as it is a football decision. 

Drafting Mario Williams or Jadevion Clowney doesn’t sell as many tickets or jerseys as drafting Deshaun Watson, yknow? Unless there is a belief that there’s a significant difference between Anderson and the QBs, the Texans have to think about response from the fan base on this pick.