2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

People are talking about us trading up to number 1. I’m 100% against this. 

We can’t afford to give up prime draft Capitol at the point and there isn’t a sure fire franchise changing QB out there. If it was Joe Burrow or someone like that, I’d sell the farm but trading pick 33 to move up to number is not a good ide. 

The ONLY way I’d consider it is if it was 2 + somebody who was already on their way out (Brandin Cooks). Cooks isn’t really going to draw a ton of attention in the trade market, and if you can pair a jump up a pick while shedding some cap in the process, go for it.

The odds of such a trade are incredibly low, however.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I was on the Bryce Young train, but I think Stroud might be my QB1.

Ditto - I’ll say the Young upside is through the roof, but the floor and polish that Stroud brings is just as worth drafting.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Who do you want at #12?

It’s a toss up between Jordan Addison, Quentin Johnston or Michael Mayer - but a lot of that is also predicated on who returns on the OL. Peter Skoronski might be a need at that point, with guys such as Jaxon Smith-Njigba or Jalin Hyatt as options in the 2nd. 

In a perfect world - Mike McGlinchy is signed as a FA, Tytus Howard is retained at G prices, Jimmy Ward and Azeez Al-Shaeer are brought in on defense and the draft is:

1.2: Stroud/Young

1.12: Mayer/Addison/Johnston (Stroud would do best with Addison or Johnston, Young would do better with Addison or Mayer).

2.2: John Michael Schmitz (Texans have a dire need at C)

3.2: BPA - CB or Edge

3.12: BPA - CB or Edge

Rotational pieces at DT, depth at IOL and another RB would be nice for day 3 picks. Add some UDFA depth at WR and DB, and let it work itself out between now and the Regular Season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It’s a toss up between Jordan Addison, Quentin Johnston or Michael Mayer - but a lot of that is also predicated on who returns on the OL. Peter Skoronski might be a need at that point, with guys such as Jaxon Smith-Njigba or Jalin Hyatt as options in the 2nd. 

In a perfect world - Mike McGlinchy is signed as a FA, Tytus Howard is retained at G prices, Jimmy Ward and Azeez Al-Shaeer are brought in on defense and the draft is:

1.2: Stroud/Young

1.12: Mayer/Addison/Johnston (Stroud would do best with Addison or Johnston, Young would do better with Mayer or Johnston).

2.2: John Michael Schmitz (Texans have a dire need at C)

3.2: BPA - CB or Edge

3.12: BPA - CB or Edge

Rotational pieces at DT, depth at IOL and another RB would be nice for day 3 picks. Add some UDFA depth at WR and DB, and let it work itself out between now and the Regular Season.

So ideally you'd come away with a franchise QB and a #1 WR with your first two picks, makes sense. Is Cooks basically guaranteed to be gone this offseason?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

So ideally you'd come away with a franchise QB and a #1 WR with your first two picks, makes sense. Is Cooks basically guaranteed to be gone this offseason?

I think so - he wants to be on a contender, and the Texans are a few years out. I’d say that somebody should check in on him following the DeMeco Ryans hire, but I’m operating as if he’s gone. 

Given his contract situation - he’s probably moved for a low pick, just to get out from that $18mm cap hit. I actually think in his case, getting the cap space back is more important than the type of pick received in return. I mean, if you can get a 2nd AND get a team to take on his full contract, that would be pretty sweet… but I doubt that’s going to happen.

Dallas has a need at WR opposite CeeDee Lamb, and will have cap space after Zeke is cut - Cooks was rumored to Dallas last season prior to the trade deadline, I can see them getting back in discussions.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think so - he wants to be on a contender, and the Texans are a few years out. I’d say that somebody should check in on him following the DeMeco Ryans hire, but I’m operating as if he’s gone. 

Given his contract situation - he’s probably moved for a low pick, just to get out from that $18mm cap hit. I actually think in his case, getting the cap space back is more important than the type of pick received in return. I mean, if you can get a 2nd AND get a team to take on his full contract, that would be pretty sweet… but I doubt that’s going to happen.

Dallas has a need at WR opposite CeeDee Lamb, and will have cap space after Zeke is cut - Cooks was rumored to Dallas last season prior to the trade deadline, I can see them getting back in discussions.

I don't think there will be a shortage of suitors for Cooks. I could see the Giants, Patriots, Jets, Giants, Bears, and a few other teams being interested in him. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

I had a discussion with one of my cousins last night.   I would trade Cooks for a 3rd if a team wants him.  The days of him going for a 2nd round pick are long gone.  i believe we would save some cap space trading him IIRC.  

I’d be shocked if we got a 3rd. This is going to end similarly to the Cowboys trading Amari Cooper to the Browns for a 6th round pick - just get him off the books, we’ll take whatever pick you offer up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

I had a discussion with one of my cousins last night.   I would trade Cooks for a 3rd if a team wants him.  The days of him going for a 2nd round pick are long gone.  i believe we would save some cap space trading him IIRC.  

Yeah a 5th or 6th is the max, especially on his contract 

• Like 1