2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

38 minutes ago, ObotimusPrime said:

Right now, I’m hoping the Texans go QB( Young or Stroud please) and a pass rusher with our first rounders. And then go WR or TE, whoever is their top ranked pass catching option available, at the top of the 2nd. 

I’m not completely opposed to this - my only concern is if either C John Michael Schmitz or C Steve Avila will be gone by the start of the 3rd round.

I’d put C as perhaps our second most important need behind QB - a C who is capable of playing both smart and physically will make that entire OL better by checking the schemes into the right place, opening holes along the front and giving our rookie QB a relatively clean interior pocket.

36 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I’m not completely opposed to this - my only concern is if either C John Michael Schmitz or C Steve Avila will be gone by the start of the 3rd round.

I’d put C as perhaps our second most important need behind QB - a C who is capable of playing both smart and physically will make that entire OL better by checking the schemes into the right place, opening holes along the front and giving our rookie QB a relatively clean interior pocket.

Free.agency.comes.first.

But I hear you

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

Free.agency.comes.first.

But I hear you

I’d prefer a young C who could grow with Green, Howard, etc. For FA, I’d rather fill in holes on defense (with guys who know DeMeco and his culture - Jimmie Ward, Samson Ekuban, Azeez Al-Shaair, etc).

I’ll expand on a philosophy I have - there are four positions I consider “group leaders” in that they direct traffic and are people who mentor those around them:

- QB (mentors/direct skill positions on offense)

- MLB/ILB (mentors/directs front seven players)

- FS (mentors/directs the secondary)

- C (mentors/directs the OL)

Whenever possible with these positions, try to grow them in-house. That way, these guys are bought into the culture early and the “way to do things” within the building. They’re already directing traffic on the field with the calls and shifts, so if you can leverage that off the field, you’re more likely to develop cohesion across the unit.

It’s an offshoot of Organizational Behavior theory - your Directors and Sr. Managers (QB/C/MLB/FS) are the direct line between Executive Leadership (coaches, GM, owners) and the front line workers (players) so whenever one of them has an origin within the organization, their messages is received as aligned with both sides - hence, cohesion is achievable. For football - it’s just a theory at this point, no use cases in the league to actually validate it. But it sounds logical, no?

47 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I’d prefer a young C who could grow with Green, Howard, etc. For FA, I’d rather fill in holes on defense (with guys who know DeMeco and his culture - Jimmie Ward, Samson Ekuban, Azeez Al-Shaair, etc).

I’ll expand on a philosophy I have - there are four positions I consider “group leaders” in that they direct traffic and are people who mentor those around them:

- QB (mentors/direct skill positions on offense)

- MLB/ILB (mentors/directs front seven players)

- FS (mentors/directs the secondary)

- C (mentors/directs the OL)

Whenever possible with these positions, try to grow them in-house. That way, these guys are bought into the culture early and the “way to do things” within the building. They’re already directing traffic on the field with the calls and shifts, so if you can leverage that off the field, you’re more likely to develop cohesion across the unit.

It’s an offshoot of Organizational Behavior theory - your Directors and Sr. Managers (QB/C/MLB/FS) are the direct line between Executive Leadership (coaches, GM, owners) and the front line workers (players) so whenever one of them has an origin within the organization, their messages is received as aligned with both sides - hence, cohesion is achievable. For football - it’s just a theory at this point, no use cases in the league to actually validate it. But it sounds logical, no?

Like I said, I hear you... but at such a key position and with possibly a rookie QB.  A vet also helps n'est-ce-pas?

A young vet could help grow the culture and protect a prized investment.  

We saw what a low-end C can do to your offense and QB last year.

That being said, I would do a mix: vet C and possibly a talented rookie as well.

I think there are some solid young vets out there (e.g. Garrett Bradbury) + some vets who know the system (e.g. Jake Brendel)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

I think there are some solid young vets out there (e.g. Garrett Bradbury) + some vets who know the system (e.g. Jake Brendel)

I guess I’d need to know who is available - really didn’t study the FA list for the position that well. I just don’t want another Justin Britt here, that dude was a complete waste of space…

35 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

This just happened... lol

Thank goodness! Dude just up and quit. Eff him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I guess I’d need to know who is available - really didn’t study the FA list for the position that well. I just don’t want another Justin Britt here, that dude was a complete waste of space…

So my head coach was actually Britts moms high school track coach. Dude was in town a few weeks back. He’s dealing with some mental health issues. Probably won’t play again. 

3 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So my head coach was actually Britts moms high school track coach. Dude was in town a few weeks back. He’s dealing with some mental health issues. Probably won’t play again. 

Oh wow - that’s sad when you put it like that.

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Jake Brendel was the starter for the 49ers all last season at center and is a FA. Ethan Pocic from Cleveland is the top rated FA at the position. Daniel Brunskill is also a former 49er OL who's a free agent. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

Jake Brendel was the starter for the 49ers all last season at center and is a FA. Ethan Pocic from Cleveland is the top rated FA at the position. Daniel Brunskill is also a former 49er OL who's a free agent. 

Probably head the FA route with C. Especially to have the presence next to Green

• Like 1