2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

30 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

My JSN comp is Devante Adams. Both have similar profiles coming out of college. 

I think that’s a very fair comp, too - more route savvy than athleticism, dependable hands that zero in on the ball, can win contested routes by using his hands as a shield. 

I do think he’s a guy who gets better as his career progresses - his quickness will always ensure he gets open, but if he can develop a 2nd gear to run away from defenders, he could become quite the weapon. 

Lotta ifs, but a lot to like (and his presence doesn’t preclude picking up a top tier WR in 2024).

24 minutes ago, ObotimusPrime said:

Yea, I wonder why.

Ohio St also has Luke Wypler, a promising center who should be on the Texan’s radar. Projected as late day 2/ early day 3 pick. 

Caserio was on Payne and Pendergast yesterday and said something along the lines of “if you make your opinion based on a scripted pro day, you don’t have enough data to begin with,” which I honestly agree with. Combine is for medical review and interview, private visits are for additional interviews and Q/A, but Pro Days? I don’t think there’s much positive value for those events (which are heavily scripted to make players look better than they are). Pro Days are days where poorly formed opinions are created (Zach Wilson’s cross-field post comes to mind - that one throw got him drafted 2nd overall, and that’s been an unmitigated disaster for NYJ).

Caserio is known for being an analytics guy, and Liipfert is widely regarded as an up and coming FO figure and film study guy - so chances are Caserio already has these guys scaled based on his analytics, Liipfert has them graded based on film and is just validating what he already has on board. Nobody here is going to take a huge leap up or down the board based on these events. 

7 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I would bet we are all in on Young and it’s gonna be a disaster long term. 

Even if BY busts, it's not going to be a disaster long-term unless he shows enough to earn an extension and then doesn't live up to it or he's clearly not the answer and they refuse to move on. 

At the end of the day, missing on one pick shouldn't make or break a franchise if the GM and team are doing the rest of their jobs well. They could nail the QB pick and it could still be a disaster if they do a terrible job building the rest of the team. It's not just about one pick, it's about the aggregate.

26 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

Even if BY busts, it's not going to be a disaster long-term unless he shows enough to earn an extension and then doesn't live up to it or he's clearly not the answer and they refuse to move on. 

At the end of the day, missing on one pick shouldn't make or break a franchise if the GM and team are doing the rest of their jobs well. They could nail the QB pick and it could still be a disaster if they do a terrible job building the rest of the team. It's not just about one pick, it's about the aggregate.

A rookie top 5 QB has the potential to set a franchise back 4 years, which will outlive a lot of the talent on the roster because they will be replaced trying to give the rookie QB “weapons”. 

the truth is that other than the need for a #1 WR, we are set up for a rookie QB to succeed. We should have a great offensive line, we have a good 1-2 running punch. We have a decent TE. We should have good 2-4 WRs. 

you would think we could control the clock and not ask too much from a young QB. 

but his comparisons are a less athletic Kyler Murray and a smaller Tua. That’s not good. 

I will make this prediction. Teams will not take him seriously and he will have a decent rookie season. Might even compete for rookie of the year but with the hype, teams will just overwhelm him and his small frame. It’s just not gonna work in the NFL. 

I’ll never understand all the hype. Ever. He tore it up at Alabama yet didn’t win a championship. 

I just don’t get it. 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Caserio is known for being an analytics guy, and Liipfert is widely regarded as an up and coming FO figure and film study guy - so chances are Caserio already has these guys scaled based on his analytics, Liipfert has them graded based on film and is just validating what he already has on board. Nobody here is going to take a huge leap up or down the board based on these events. 

True, I just think it’s another chance to be around the players and get a sense of their demeanor, entourage, etc. Not as much as a physical evaluation. 

I’m sure they’ll all come in for team visits anyway 

• Like 1

I was watching video of Jalin Hyatt and Hendon Hooker stood out to me. Hooker has me intrigued at the possibilities. Allows you to get the best overall player in Anderson and can trade down your #12 pick to grab Hooker in the 20's. Just an option. 

23 minutes ago, Blaze said:

I was watching video of Jalin Hyatt and Hendon Hooker stood out to me. Hooker has me intrigued at the possibilities. Allows you to get the best overall player in Anderson and can trade down your #12 pick to grab Hooker in the 20's. Just an option. 

His age scares me - and that was before the knee injury that's going to sideline him for the majority of the season. He was already in a very gimmicky offense, so there's a learning curve to take into consideration as well - you're really waiting for 2024 for him to take meaningful snaps.

A 1st year starter at the age of 26 sort of worries me (in the 1st, at least). 

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

A rookie top 5 QB has the potential to set a franchise back 4 years, which will outlive a lot of the talent on the roster because they will be replaced trying to give the rookie QB “weapons”. 

Then you go the route of the Jets, Bucs and Rams - find a vet QB and trade for them. Be willing to pull the parachute cord and reset the QB situation with an older and proven QB, and you don't pick up Young's 5th year option - we've seen teams do this pretty regularly nowadays, it's not as long of a investment as previous eras have been.

Who knows what QB is going to want a change of scenery in two years - that seems to be the trend, guys leave places where they were 10+ year starters and win with another franchise. If BY doesn't work out, you pivot for someone who is proven, dropping them into a situation where the young talent is there for the taking.

I will make this prediction. Teams will not take him seriously and he will have a decent rookie season.

Let's be real - this is the NFL, lot of people are paid handsomely to take everyone seriously. If highly doubt a DC is sitting there thinking "yeah, let's go play golf - BY isn't hurting anyone..."

teams will just overwhelm him and his small frame. It’s just not gonna work in the NFL. 

I'm not going to try to convince you against this but I think if this was the case, it would have happened by now. Young played in the SEC - this isn't Kyler running circles around trash Big 12 defenses, Young played against NFL talent and NFL size every Saturday. 

I’ll never understand all the hype. Ever. He tore it up at Alabama yet didn’t win a championship. 

I think this part is less about Young and more about the best defense ever assembled in CFB - Georgia is *29-1* over the last two years, sent FIVE first round picks on the defense alone (with another three defensive FRPs potentially on tap this year - Carter, Ringo and Nolan Smith). Young did what he could, but there's a new behemoth in town, and Georgia is now the dynasty in CFB. 

In a not-so-ironc turn of events the only team to beat Georgia in the last two years was... Alabama, led by... Bryce Young. He threw for 421/3/0 and didn't get hurt, no less. 

I get you don't like him... but I'm certain you'll come around. 

• Like 1