2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

28 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Give me this at 2 and let him sit for a year behind Keenum and Mills and learn 

No thanks for me - I knew Levis would put on a show at his Pro Day, but his actual game film is Blake Bortles-esque. 

I'm certain Levis is destined to be Zach Wilson.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

What ever QB we get at 2 is going to have to start day 1. We don’t have the personnel in place to have him “sit and learn”. 

I still can’t believe BOB tried to start Savage over #4 his rookie season. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

No thanks for me - I knew Levis would put on a show at his Pro Day, but his actual game film is Blake Bortles-esque. 

I'm certain Levis is destined to be Zach Wilson.

Now are you judging Levis off of 2022 alone? Cause he was different in 2021? Injuries and the coaching change effected 2022 

33 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Now are you judging Levis off of 2022 alone? Cause he was different in 2021? Injuries and the coaching change effected 2022 

His 2021 was lacking too - a few splash plays, but the same inconsistency from play to play; Happy feet, staring down a receiver, running outside the T box with pressure vs stepping into the pocket, throwing off an imbalanced base when on the move. It was more pronounced in 2022, but it was present in 2021 - the guy just can't play consistently. 

I'm also concerned he couldn't beat out Sean Clifford in that Penn State/James Franklin pro-style offense. That offense is very predicated on making pre-snap reads and in-pocket checks, similar to a Kubiak/Shanahan offense the Texans will likely employ. It's not like Clifford is some physical specimen that's keeping a lot of guys at bay, Levis is clearly the more physically gifted of the two - yet Levis couldn't beat him out. I can't help but to think it's because Levis isn't very football smart - he's a reaction player (see it, throw it) vs anticipating where his guy will be and what the defense is doing (and this is sort of validated when you watch his Kentucky film - he's thinking too much and too long our there).

The physical gifts are there (he's an OK runner, I guess?) but you need to break EVERYTHING down on him and build him back up. And there's no guarantee he'll even pick up what you're laying down. 

1 hour ago, ObotimusPrime said:

What ever QB we get at 2 is going to have to start day 1. We don’t have the personnel in place to have him “sit and learn”. 

I still can’t believe BOB tried to start Savage over #4 his rookie season. 

I agree with you in principle, but I'm never a fan of giving someone a job. QB1 is going to be earned, and no matter the deficiency - a QB isn't getting it or a QB needs to add 5-6 lbs of muscle - if the guy isn't ready, sit em and reassess at the bye week.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I agree with you in principle, but I'm never a fan of giving someone a job. QB1 is going to be earned, and no matter the deficiency - a QB isn't getting it or a QB needs to add 5-6 lbs of muscle - if the guy isn't ready, sit em and reassess at the bye week.

Remember Mahomes started 1 game his rookie season IIRC (last game of the season too) and IIRC threw an INT

6 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Despite being a fellow Connecticutter, I can’t trust someone who puts mayo in their coffee. That is just not something a star quarterback would do. 

• Like 1

Keenum could be our Alex Smith. It would also right the wrong of cutting him when OB got hired rather than allowing him to compete for and probably win the starting job. The Fitzpatrick, Hoyer/Mallett years should have been Keenum years in my opinion (although after we switched to Fitz I thought we should have just kept him for a second year too). But yea, we're not winning the Super Bowl this year no matter who's at QB. I think the goal is progress, not tanking, and that's definitely possible with Keenum I feel like. 

That being said, Bryce Young will be starting Week 1 and I will be hype af about it lol. 

• Like 1