2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

53 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

People are vastly overhyping the Texans. We have a 1st time head coach, a 1st time OC, and we have lots of holes that we will depend on rookies to fill. 

I don’t disagree with you - I’m 100% on pumping the brakes on this resurgence from this franchise.

This being said, I think competing for the division is less about the Texans being good and more about the division being bad. Even with Jacksonville looking sharp with a young QB, the defense they’ve heavily invested on hasn’t taken form - neither Josh Allen or Travon Walker have become that dominant edge and the secondary is still suspect to getting exposed. Tennessee looks a few matches away from going into a full fire sale and Indy is REALLY hoping on Shaq Leonard getting back to form next season - the division is its usual self, in that respect.

I still don’t see the Texans winning more than seven games… but if a time traveler came to me and told me that the ‘23 AFCS division winner went 7-10, I don’t think I’d be too shocked.

(I’d be shocked… sure).

• Like 1

Curious... would you considering trading 2-33 for Trey Lance?

I am participating in a mock in the GM Mock Forum.

Traded 2-33 + Davis Mills to SF for Trey Lance + 3-99 (took Anderson with 1-2)

I was hoping to trade down from 1-12 and recoup the 2nd, but not many people trading up in this sim (although Raiders traded up to 3 to take Anthony Richardson so BY fell to Colts at 1-4 as Stroud went 1-1)

58 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Curious... would you considering trading 2-33 for Trey Lance?

I am participating in a mock in the GM Mock Forum.

Traded 2-33 + Davis Mills to SF for Trey Lance + 3-99 (took Anderson with 1-2)

I was hoping to trade down from 1-12 and recoup the 2nd, but not many people trading up in this sim (although Raiders traded up to 3 to take Anthony Richardson so BY fell to Colts at 1-4 as Stroud went 1-1)

I thought about that scenario 2 months ago but I personally wouldn't.  Lance hasnt really proven anything in the league and I personally thought he was overrated coming out in 2021.  If he doesn't pan out here at most we would be getting 2 years out of him?  Like ET said, thats too rich for my blood.

Edited by Texansfan713

Houston having a pre-draft visit with Alabama S Brian Branch is interesting to me. Could he be a target at 12? that's a little high for me. But absolutely guy they could target if he were to last until 33 or a trade up into the first from that spot. We would have the makings of a formidable young secondary teaming Branch with Stingley and Pitre. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OzzyTexan said:

Houston having a pre-draft visit with Alabama S Brian Branch is interesting to me. Could he be a target at 12? that's a little high for me. But absolutely guy they could target if he were to last until 33 or a trade up into the first from that spot. We would have the makings of a formidable young secondary teaming Branch with Stingley and Pitre. 

Not a fan, but I respect my fellow Texans' thoughts... he could be there if there was a trade back from 12 (a definite possibility)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OzzyTexan said:

I like Branch a lot, think he’s the new mold of S who can play multiple spots -  a Starbacker or Joker. He can play the big nickel, the slot CB, a boundary CB (sorta - think early years Kareem Jackson), up top in a C2 or C3 zone, in the box as a LB or right over a TE in man coverage. Pitre is more or less a traditional S, and that’s ideal for his skillset. Branch is that other guy, which is becoming more and more important for next gen defenses. 

I think there are better options at 1.12, but Branch is someone I’d be elated with in a trade down scenario or a trade up from 2.2; He’s going to be a really good pro.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

I’d deal for Mac for a day a 3rd, then if he doesn’t look good take a QB in ‘24

3rd is too high for me. I’d offer the picks from the Brandin Cooks trade along with a 4th in 2025… maybe, even that seems off a bit. Mac is similar to Davis Mills in that he has a few moments where he looks the part, but he’s wildly inconsistent from snap to snap. Sometimes he looks crisp and decisive like Brady, sometimes he looks lost and confused like Darnold. 

Mac feels like a purgatory QB - you’ll never be bad enough to pick in the top 5 and land a top tier QB, but you’ll never be good enough to compete at a high level and make a deep playoff run. He’s the QB who “leads” a team to a Wildcard playoff win, then loses by double digits on the road in round two, y’know? Maybe because he’s not a sexy name… but I’d pass overall.