Lions waive OT Greg Robinson

TheKillerNacho

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21363481/detroit-lions-waive-left-tackle-greg-robinson

The 2nd overall pick of the Rams looks to find his third NFL team as the Lions waive/injured him with the imminent return of Taylor Decker. The Lions gave up a 6th round pick in the offseason to acquire him. He looked improved as a Lion earlier in the year, but has regressed in recent weeks, possibly due to being banged up.

Not sure if a team signs him right now due to his ankle injury, but he'll probably get another chance in the NFL this offseason at least due to his draft status.

Never thought he was that great of a prospect to begin with but damn. 

Still though, I wouldn't mind the Cowboys just trying him out. We are hitting on guys we bring in. Cooper has been nice so far, and I wouldn't mind a backup for him or Martin on the inside. 

GASP!

I thought this firmer #2-overall was supposedly doing better with Detroit, fit in with their scheme, etc. .............?

Louis Friend

• Louis Friend
  • Veteran Members
  • 11,323 posts

After watching a few plays back, our OL played extremely well. Stafford's sack was due to him holding the ball too long. Overall, he had great protection all game long. Greg Robinson has been a nice addition with Decker out. 

He played well in preseason and the first few games of the season. Then he got injured and lost his spot to Brian Mihalik. Now, Taylor Decker is back and Robinson is still injured. It was not shocking to see Bob Quinn cut him. He filled in while Decker was out and now he's gone. 

@Louis Friend Well said, my Friend! And I wasn't really jumping on your stuff, I just recalled that some people had touted Robinson as a reclamation project by the Lions this year. As a fan of the tackle-bereft NY Giants, I have a morbid interest in other team's OT's- especially left-side ones. I remember that Greg Robinson's draft stock rose exponentially the closer the draft drew near, eventually surpassing the early favorite as Best Left Tackle, Jake Matthews; and ending up in the high thin air of #2 Overall!!! He was promoted as a bigger, stronger Orlando Pace, etc.; rarely has one busted so far and so fast. Ah, well- the Lions gave him a chance, and it wasn't meant to be; I suppose with the cachet attached to high-first-round picks, he'll get another chance, elsewhere (just not the Giants, I hope, from what I'm reading).:D:D

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Bring him to Houston. He can't be worse than Breno Giacomini or Chris Clark. Might be as bad, but you don't know unless you try him out right?

I feel the same way about Donovan Smith. And it'd allow us to bump Smith inside to guard, where he might actually be good.

10 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Bring him to Houston. He can't be worse than Breno Giacomini or Chris Clark. Might be as bad, but you don't know unless you try him out right?

@EliteTexan80- Trouble is, Robinson would have to play tackle for the Texans- zero chance at guard, with Xavier Su'a-Filo standing staunch in the middle, like the 300 Spartans guarding Thermopylae.

Image result for Xavier Su'a Filo

Archived