2022 ROT

DreamKid

My short take. We saw probably the franchise’s best offensive play two years ago when we had a good offensive line. Last year, with probably our best group of receivers we’ve had in recent history, had a lesser offense(of course noting the loss of all of our running backs). Even with Hollywood gone, we will be better offensively with a better offensive line.

• Like 1

Some of the top FA WRs available:

- Julio Jones

- Will Fuller

- Jarvis Landry

- Odell Beckham Jr. 

- Emmanuel Sanders

Scraping the street for old veteran wideouts, it feels nostalgic. Will Fuller looks like the most relevant option with the speed element he brings, and lack of personal beef with our CBs. 

Guess we shouldn't sleep on a trade either, but it doesn't feel like there's any obvious targets around the league.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't want someone like Jarvis. We need that speed element and Bateman isn't a burner.

With an army of TEs, Proche, and Duvernay we're loaded in the slot already too. We need a boundary burner. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

With an army of TEs, Proche, and Duvernay we're loaded in the slot already too. We need a boundary burner. 

Yep, if we go that route I'd rather kick the tires on Will Fuller, Desean Jackson, or trade for someone like Darius Slayton. Just someone who can extend the field vertically because we're going to have mismatches galore over the middle.

I think we need to sign a receiver simply by math that we lost two and drafted zero. I’d take an established veteran like Emmanuel Sanders or Jarvis Landry simply to have that veteran presence in the position group.

that being said I’m not super worried about our Receiver situation. Its definitely one of the worst in the league. but we can make up for it with these tight ends, the run game, and hopefully an greatly improved defence. We potentially drafted a pitta and Dickson situation again at tight end in the fourth, while we already have Mark Andrew locked in. If those guys can play we can be dangerous on offence. 

every team has holes and we are potentially elite in a number of spots if some guys pan out. I can’t foresee us being anything but a winning team next season with if some of these picks can make an instant impact.

• Like 1

Tylan Wallace in last years preseason against the Panthers. He’s showing here some of his strengths and how we might be able to get him more involved this season as someone that can operate as our Z receiver.

Better ball by Huntley gets it done. This is another preseason play that displays some of what made Wallace very effective at the collegiate level.

Wallace struggled here with his route releases freeing him up from press man coverage.

This would’ve prevented him from being usable on the perimeter and relegated him to more of a slot option. However my pro comparison to him coming out was Derrick Mason and I think this should be the #1 thing he should’ve been working on all offseason, along with some improvements within his route running. 

If these corrections are made, he could present true value within our receiving core this season and be very much an underrated solution to addressing some of our WR concerns this season.

Wallace showed he could attack the football in the air, excel at comeback routes, get YAC with good run vision, and displays very good hands and field presence. He’s a few tools away from legitimately competing with a veteran we bring in for time on the outside… not that I’m optimistic that we will be able to bring in an impact veteran. I’m sure most WRs will be afraid to play within an offense like ours.

9 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Some of the top FA WRs available:

- Julio Jones

- Will Fuller

- Jarvis Landry

- Odell Beckham Jr. 

- Emmanuel Sanders

Scraping the street for old veteran wideouts, it feels nostalgic. Will Fuller looks like the most relevant option with the speed element he brings, and lack of personal beef with our CBs. 

Guess we shouldn't sleep on a trade either, but it doesn't feel like there's any obvious targets around the league.

Emmanuel Sanders- If he decides not to retire, you’ve got to think he’d return to the Bills where he thrived within a pass first scheme.

OBJ- Probably looks to stat in a big market.

Landry- Not a fit for what we need. He would fill the same role occupied by Duvernay and Proche within the slot.

Will Fuller- I agree that he would be a fantastic fit within our offense, however you’d think Watson and the Browns would have the best shot at securing him. Especially considering coming to our Roman led offense is viewed as the death knell for a receivers career.

Julio Jones- He’s probably our best bet IMO, he’s had a terrific career to this point and you’d have to think he will be looking to go for a ring with a winning organization. His legacy wouldn’t take a hit by deflated numbers though winning a ring could put a bow around his career. Though even then,  his durability issues would likely make him Sammy Watkins part 2 and so signing him might take opportunities away from our young guys that might be able to better develop and so that once he inevitably goes down with injury Lamar won’t have chemistry with the younger receivers, Julio would have usurped.

Longer segment from ESPN on our post draft offense-

Doesn't really seem like anyone has a problem with us booting Hollywood. General consensus seems to be our offense revolves around Lamar/OL/TE/RBs and WR play is the least important component to all of this. Bateman & Andrews with a stable of TEs, competent OL, dominant running game, some solid role players(Duvernay/Proche/Wallace), and Lamar Magic is enough to net us a SB win- in their opinion.

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Doesn't really seem like anyone has a problem with us booting Hollywood. General consensus seems to be our offense revolves around Lamar/OL/TE/RBs and WR play is the least important component to all of this. Bateman & Andrews with a stable of TEs, competent OL, dominant running game, some solid role players(Duvernay/Proche/Wallace), and Lamar Magic is enough to net us a SB win- in their opinion.

Generally in agreement with overall sentiment. That said, I wouldn't mind adding a role player (like a Will Fuller, if he's open to a favorable deal / associated PT)... someone who can take ~40% of snaps and provide a veritcal threat to loosen up defenses and catch a few bombs from Lamar. An 80-20 solution for Hollywood (maybe more like 60-70% of the production at 10% of the cost).

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I tend to disagree. I think we could dominate the regular season using that strategy, but as the playoffs begin and the competition steps up, I think the truest thing is you need playmakers to step up. And more importantly you need guys who can get chunk plays or else you expose the offense to more a chance of a mistake.

I’m not saying we don’t have enough playmakers, but when needed in the playoffs Hollywood stepped up and could get us chunk plays.

Bateman can be that guy too, but you hope to have more than just one guy that can do that. Duvernay has the speed to be a chunk play option, but while he’s shown great hands, he’s not shown an ability to attack the ball in the air and make the QB “look right” if the ball isn’t perfectly thrown. That was not his game in college either. He will need to have developed that or else we need someone else who can be that guy.

I don’t think any of the TEs have the skill set to be a chunk play option outside of Mandrews. Boyle and Ricard certainly aren’t those guys. I’m not sure that Kolar or Likely are those guys either. Though at least Likely showed he could do that on a lower collegiate level to offer some hope that he could be that guy at this level. Though his athletic profile leaves much to be desired on that front. I think he will be an impact player at some point, but I’m not sure if he will ever be a chunk player.

It’ll be interesting to see how this offense is developed around the weapons we currently bring to the table.

The analysts could be right, but the “death by a thousand cuts” offense just forces Lamar to have to be too perfect as a passer but if anyone could decide to go full Joe Flacco in a playoff run, it could certainly be Lamar. 

I think the team is pretty high on Jaylon Moore. That wouldn't be a very popular or safe(ish) option to rely on but it's hard to say how dire they think the situation is. 

For what it's worth I'm leaning towards not worrying too much about receiver at the moment. As long as Bateman is good at least. I'm all about giving Lamar more options over the middle and letting him work within the confines that he's comfortable throwing the ball and succeeding. Throwing downfield is still important of course but I'm not sure we want him doing that a ton even if they had a plus option to do so with. 

It almost seems like I'm down on Lamar but that's not it. The more I see the more I just want the team to be set up for sustainable success with the assets they have and not try to put too much of an emphasis on being great at everything. I don't really have any real issues with the offense. Barring catastrophic injuries again of course. 

I’m still not confident that we can win a Super Bowl without having three ballers at receiver.

And when I say “receiver” I’m counting TE/WR together. With Hollywood, Bateman, and Andrews- we had three dudes.

Now I feel we’ve got two dudes again. Any injury to one of those guys means we’ve got one dude, which killed us in 2019 when Andrews wasn’t 100% healthy during that playoff run.

We’ve got a hella explosive running back room and our OL if healthy, should make it nearly impossible for an opposing defense to stop us running the ball, so we’re ahead of even 2019 in that department IMO. I mean, I think it’s a good bet that we become the first team in NFL history to eclipse 3500 yds rushing as a team this season.

I think Lamar can sling it for 3500+ yds passing with more efficiency than the past couple seasons, but without an explosive element, I don’t know if he even reaches that 4K milestone that he was on pace for last season, even considering the extra game.

If our weapons can develop enough or if we can add another weapon than I would feel comfortable with our postseason chances (because I feel we’ve got a filthy squad that can make the postseason), but I’m going to need some convincing to feel we’re explosive enough to get through a tough AFC field come winter time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m still not confident that we can win a Super Bowl without having three ballers at receiver.

And when I say “receiver” I’m counting TE/WR together. With Hollywood, Bateman, and Andrews- we had three dudes.

Now I feel we’ve got two dudes again. Any injury to one of those guys means we’ve got one dude, which killed us in 2019 when Andrews wasn’t 100% healthy during that playoff run.

We’ve got a hella explosive running back room and our OL if healthy, should make it nearly impossible for an opposing defense to stop us running the ball, so we’re ahead of even 2019 in that department IMO. I mean, I think it’s a good bet that we become the first team in NFL history to eclipse 3500 yds rushing as a team this season.

I think Lamar can sling it for 3500+ yds passing with more efficiency than the past couple seasons, but without an explosive element, I don’t know if he even reaches that 4K milestone that he was on pace for last season, even considering the extra game.

If our weapons can develop enough or if we can add another weapon than I would feel comfortable with our postseason chances (because I feel we’ve got a filthy squad that can make the postseason), but I’m going to need some convincing to feel we’re explosive enough to get through a tough AFC field come winter time.

The Rams just won the Superbowl with 1 dude, arguably 2 if you count Robert Woods + OBJ in any combination of when either were healthy. Chiefs have won the Superbowl with 2 dudes. I think us having 2 dudes can be fine, we just need to not choke when it comes playoff time and our offense needs to actually show up.