Peak Mahomes or peak Farve?

Kiwibrown

Who wins   

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who was better?

Favre was a big fish in a small pond at his peak. Who was his QB competition?

A bunch of old dudes from '83 and '84?

Bledsoe?

Brunell?

Mahomes is standing out in a crowded field of awesome QBs.

Don't give me MVP voting, King forced a Favre/ Sanders tie in 1997 by voting for Carnell Lake. The results were probably fixed.

When Dana Stubblefield gets 2 votes then just stop voting for MVPs. Let the players, coaches, and GMs vote.

Favres peak AV on PFR was 18,18,17,16. Mahomes is 22 17 17 18 right now (69 to 76)

Favre also fell off a cliff the next year 8-8 22 TDs 23 picks 74.7 rating

On 5/2/2022 at 1:22 PM, SkippyX said:

Bledsoe?

Brunell?

Don't give me MVP voting, King forced a Favre/ Sanders tie in 1997 by voting for Carnell Lake. The results were probably fixed.

When Dana Stubblefield gets 2 votes then just stop voting for MVPs. Let the players, coaches, and GMs vote.

Favres peak AV on PFR was 18,18,17,16. Mahomes is 22 17 17 18 right now (69 to 76)

Steve Young?

5 hours ago, Malik said:

Steve Young?

He was an older dude (from 1984 USFL) aged 34-36, who was super efficient but not putting up big passing numbers. He was not a real MVP threat to Favre those years.

As a season prediction, sure, but not how it played out.

He missed 10 games over those 3 seasons.

He did have a big year in 1998 though at 37.

His peak was 1994 of course with that SB run. He was 1,2,1 in MVP in 1992-1994

On 5/2/2022 at 12:22 PM, SkippyX said:

Bledsoe?

Brunell?

As of right now its Favre and its not even close. I'm taking Elway and Marino over all but maybe 3 guys playing in the league right now. You discredit Favre for playing against old dudes but dont acknowledge Mahomes got blown out in a Super Bowl by a 43 year old QB and couldnt win MVP over a 37-38 year old the last two years. Atleast Favre was better than the old dudes you try to discredit. You can't even definitively say Mahomes is the best QB in the league right now.

Edited by StatKing

6 hours ago, StatKing said:

You discredit Favre for playing against old dudes but dont acknowledge Mahomes got blown out in a Super Bowl by a 43 year old QB and couldnt win MVP over a 37-38 year old the last two years.

You mean the GOAT QB coming off a 4600-40-12 season? Or one of the other GOAT QBs with a combined 111 TDs off of 13 INTs?

Pretty massive shortchange of two guys who rank far, far above anyone Favre’s ever topped. Including Young in the seasons that Favre was taking those MVPs home.

• Like 1

Even though we're only talking 25 years ago, completely different NFL to use numbers to compare. 

Comparing them as pure QBs, I'd take Favre in the pocket over Mahomes. Mahomes is much better on boots and at extended plays. Favre used to have these extended plays where it looked like he was some magician, Mahomes just makes them look like normal plays because they come so natural to him. 

So depends on the scheme I'm running and what kind of OL I have. The arm strength accuracy combo from Favre has been matched by maybe 3-4 guys in NFL history. The ability to throw from a moving pocket and the arm angles Mahomes can be accurate with are just as rare.

20 hours ago, StatKing said:

As of right now its Favre and its not even close. I'm taking Elway and Marino over all but maybe 3 guys playing in the league right now. You discredit Favre for playing against old dudes but dont acknowledge Mahomes got blown out in a Super Bowl by a 43 year old QB and couldnt win MVP over a 37-38 year old the last two years. Atleast Favre was better than the old dudes you try to discredit. You can't even definitively say Mahomes is the best QB in the league right now.

Marino during the Favre peak of 1995-1997 was 8th, 6th, and 13th in passer rating.

Elway was 14th, 4th, and 4th.

Favre had 112 TDs those 3 years. Elway had 79 and Marino had 57

Elway had team success in 1996-1998 in Shanahan's system but it was like Brady vs Manning in the early 2000's

Manning was clearly the QB MVP of the regular season back then. Brady did not become stat Brady until 2007. (he was very good, just not Manning level stats)

Elway became stat Elway... 1993 maybe?

Marino was stat Marino from 1983 to about 1987 (94.1 rating with crazy numbers and records) He was an 83.1 rated passer the rest of his career.

Go ahead and define the range, 4 years, 3 years, whatever and pick the years counting regular season and playoffs and compare Favre to Mahomes.

Mahomes 2018-2021 is 50-13 and 8-3 with 151 TDs and 36 picks and a 106.2 rating and 28 TDs 7 picks and a 105.7 playoff rating.

Favre 1995-1998 was 48-16 and 7-3 with 143 TDs and 65 picks and a 94.0 rating and 20 TDs and 8 picks and a 96.4 rating

The numbers are comparable when adjusted for era but Favre falls off a cliff if you go forward or backwards. (not an inept QB cliff, just a not an MVP level cliff)

Dude had a 6 interception playoff game. He had a 2 playoff game run without a TD pass.

He had 19 TDs to 18 picks in the playoffs after that 4 year run. He had 5 TDs to 4 picks in the playoffs before that run.

Its OK, guys like Aikman have an awesome 4 year playoff run and go to the HoF.

Favre had that awesome  4 year MVP and SB run and was the gunslinger and the iron man and career stat king and all that.

It does not mean his absolute peak lasted longer than 4 years or that it was better than Mahomes current run.

And after all that...

Take a deep breath.

Both guys are top 10 all time for 95% of people (an educated guess) so we are splitting hairs about the best of the best.

Its like Rodgers vs Brady or Brady vs Manning. I think there is clearly a best one, but all of them are great.

We also have no idea if Mahomes will fall off that cliff to be just a very good QB from now on instead of great so when I say Favre fell it does not mean Mahomes won't its just that we don't know yet.

Comparing Favre for any point of time longer than 4 years is stupid now because Mahomes only played 4 years. (both guys barely played in year 1)

Now if we want to compare years 1-5, its Mahomes in a rout.

Favre was 37-24 with 108 TDs 64 picks an 86.8 rating and a 4-3 playoff record.

Edited by SkippyX