Weird WR trend - what are your thoughts?

Matts4313

28 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

So you are saying Lazard is the guy?

• Sharpe was 7th overall to get them rolling.
  • Brooks was a 3rd round pick
  • Freeman a 3rd
  • They missed on Mayes in the 2nd
  • Ferguson was an underwhelming 2nd round pick (not terrible)
  • Walker was actually a good pick in round 1 (20th) in 2002. He had 716 and 9 in year 2 and 1382 and 12 in year 3 then he got hurt and they let him go.
  • Driver was the fluke in round 7
  • Jennings was a 2nd round pick
  • Jones a 3rd
  • Nelson a 2nd
  • Cobb a 2nd
  • Adams a 2nd

That's a massive and continuous expenditure of draft capital to feed and maintain the pipeline. (this is clear and obvious)

• They busted on Ty Montgomery in round 3 in 2015 and turned off the pipeline. No top 3 round WRs for 5 years.
  • MVS and ESB were round 5 and 6 guys in 2018 who both overachieved to different levels.
  • Lazard was a 2018 UDFA hit.
  • They did not draft any WR in 2019 or 2020 (they are now feeling that hole where usually their year 2 or 3 guys could start to step up)

They turned it back on the last 2 years for Amari Rodgers (3rd) and Watson (2nd)

They still need Lazard to be Julian Edelman or Watkins to rise from the dead or Watson to be the first GB WR to star as a rookie since (does 791 and 1 count for Sharpe?)

Its really not that much over 30 years. That means you draft a WR every few years.... Thats pretty normal.

24 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

You are so insanely biased on all things Dak

ESPN saw it

NFLN saw it

Jerry saw it

Steven saw it

The Cowboys coverage universe saw it.

Diehard fans saw it

Casual fans saw it

So Jerry acted and traded a 1st round pick in-season for Cooper.

3-4 Dallas went 7-2 the rest of the way and even won a playoff game. Cooper led the team in yards and TDs in only 9 games played.

This included an OT win vs 9-7 Philly which gave the division to Dallas.

Cooper had 217 yards and 3 TDs in that game, including the OT winner.

This would be like a Patriots fan saying Welker and Moss were great in 2007 but it was really the O-line improvement that did the trick. 👀

its a pathetic argument.

I stopped at ESPN saw it. Now I know why you struggle with all things Cowboys. 

PS - talking about a trade for a skill position is much more entertaining than talking about who the OL coach is and the different types of technique. 

No love for Bobby Trees?!!? Although technically that was division winner to division winner.

I think the Rams buck that trend. Traded for Watkins, traded for Cooks, gave Kupp and Woods big money (at the time), signed Robinson.

We've consistently prioritized upgrading our WR group.

Edited by FrantikRam
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

My theory is centered around three guys. Kupp, Chase, and Kirk. Kupp had the single greatest season ever by a receiver and topped it off with a Superbowl MVP. Up until him it was always “the top receiver for that season never won a Superbowl”. Kupp changed it.

Then Chase had this historic season for a rookie and almost took his team to a Superbowl win despite his OL being historically bad for a season and definitely a playoff run. So he showed you don’t have to have a great OL or even an average OL to still be successful. You just need dynamic receivers who can catch the ball anywhere on the field and score.

Skipping the myopic view and discounting high caliber QB play and the entire defense…

Exceptions don’t make rules. The Rams doing it with a high octane offense (& loaded WRs), the Bucs doing it with a high octane offense (& loaded WRs), the Chiefs doing it with a high octane offense (& loaded passing threats), the Bengals getting super close with a high octane offense (& loaded WRs)…these facts are making their waves more than just Cooper Kupp.

27 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Skipping the myopic view and discounting high caliber QB play and the entire defense…

Exceptions don’t make rules. The Rams doing it with a high octane offense (& loaded WRs), the Bucs doing it with a high octane offense (& loaded WRs), the Chiefs doing it with a high octane offense (& loaded passing threats), the Bengals getting super close with a high octane offense (& loaded WRs)…these facts are making their waves more than just Cooper Kupp.

Yeah its been a trend going on for years now, the last 6 SB teams all had either had Elite Weapons or a high poweref offense or both. 

Some Chiefs fans think we can get to the SB again with a great OL and Mahomes, like its 2000s Tom Brady. Those days are long gone

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 10:57 AM, Matts4313 said:

My conclusion is that there are a bunch of almost division winners that are taking WRs from a bunch of division winners..... and the division winners dont care/arent scared. It just seems weird that 5 teams unladed WRs to 5 other teams that are on the cusp.

What do you think?

Most of the teams that traded away WR's did it for financial reasons, it's difficult to construct a competitive roster when you're paying a QB and a WR top tier money. I think that as of today only the Bills and Raiders have QB/WR that are near the top of their positions in terms of their salary.

On 5/3/2022 at 2:27 PM, KingOfNewYork said:

Wide Receiver is the most loaded upper tier position group. The rules also give them the most advantages outside of QB. 

I don’t mind paying a WR but parting with a valuable asset(FRP) AND paying said receiver $25M is crazy to me.

Seems to have worked out decently well for the Bills and Cardinals. 

On 5/3/2022 at 4:48 PM, Chiefer said:

Yeah its been a trend going on for years now, the last 6 SB teams all had either had Elite Weapons or a high poweref offense or both. 

Some Chiefs fans think we can get to the SB again with a great OL and Mahomes, like its 2000s Tom Brady. Those days are long gone

Yeah the league is trending towards offense winning championships. I still think that the Chiefs will have a high powered offense that's good enough to potentially win the Super Bowl this season. Obviously losing Tyreek isn't ideal but Kelce is still that dude and I actually like your revamped WR group. I think JuJu is going to surprise a lot of people this year and fits well with Mahomes as a guy that can operate over the middle of the field. MVS isn't efficient but he has big play ability and can take the top off of the defense. And Skyy Moore looks primed to have a big rookie season as a guy that can play inside/outside. 

On 5/3/2022 at 12:48 PM, stl4life07 said:

So yeah I just feel like the change of philosophy on receivers is the reason for all of what we are seeing. 

Historically first round WR's don't provide great return on investment and most of the top WR's in the league were guys picked later on. I do think that Kirk's contract and Chase's success definitely had a huge influence on how teams approached the draft this year though. Guys like Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill were always going to get mega deals, they're All-Pro players. But someone like Kirk getting a sizeable deal reset the market for guys who are good but probably not elite players. So with that in mind teams were more focused on going WR early in the draft because having a good one on a cost controlled contract helps a lot with how the top guys are going to want to get paid going forward.

4 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Worked out well for the Vikings too getting Jefferson in return. Cardinals didn’t trade a FRP. 

The Diggs/Jefferson swap was one of the most well balanced trades in NFL history and the Cardinals fleeced BOB. It is crazy to give up a lot of draft capital and a huge contract though. Interested to see how Garrett Wilson pans out in comparison to Deebo though.