Postdraft, OTA, and Minicamp

onejayhawk

Now that we have a better idea of who will be on the 90 man roster we can start shaking the tree to see who falls out. This is an article on the crowded position groups.It's easy to  place the starters in most units, and often the led backup. After that it can get hairy.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/2022-kansas-city-chiefs-90-man-roster-most-competitive-position-groups/?itm_source=parsely-api

Here are some takeaways from the final two days of rookie camp. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-darian-kinnard-jaylen-watson-isiah-pacheco-skyy-moore-justyn-ross-rookie-minicamp-takeaways/?itm_source=parsely-api
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-andy-reid-george-karlaftis-trent-mcduffie-skyy-moore-rookie-minicamp-takeaways/

I know someone well who tried out as an UDFA. He did fine against other rookies. Then the veterans checked in. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk

Reid had some comments at the conclusion of rookie camp
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/5/9/23064424/chiefs-andy-reid-on-trent-mcduffie-george-karlaftis-tyrann-mathieu-and-more

It was great. It was great getting everybody in here, these young guys in here. [GM] Brett [Veach] did a nice job of supplying us with two deep for every position at least. We were able to get some good team work in. I think it’s a good foundation for the young guys that are coming back. Not everybody is making the team, obviously, that’s out here, but the ones that are coming back in a week will at least be able to hit the ground running, know the snap count, right? You’re down to the basics. Snap count, how to get into the huddle, what the coverages are, fronts, so it’s good.

On McDuffie

He moves around well, good hips, good hands. I like the part about being smart when you’re playing that position. Leverages become important. How you do those. Size, different-sized players — we have some big receivers that we go against. How are you going to take care of that?”

On Karlaftis

He goes 100 miles an hour, walk-throughs, everything. We had to slow him down, but I’ll tell you, it looks like he has a nice feel for the game. We put some fire zones in yesterday, and he moves around well when he’s in space. He’s got good hands it looks like. Again, this is with the little we’re doing. But that motor is probably the thing that jumps out at you. He goes and goes.

At a point, you have to think of the other guy. But when you’re going at that tempo, and it’s a walk-through and everybody else is doing a walk-through, then you’re going to get somebody hurt and it might be you. So, go at the tempo we give you. We’re going to give you plenty of time to go fast. He’ll get that up at training camp. He can go 100 miles an hour and do his thing. Just knowing the tempo of the drill. 

also re-signed: C Austin Reiter and WR Gary Jennings.

Good explanation on the logic behind those moves here.

Released:

QB Anthony Gordion, RB Brenden Knox, OT Gene Pryor, DT Darius Stills.

Gordon may come as a surprise after being with the Chiefs last year, but the team recently signed QB Dustin Crum. May be they want to get a closer look here. They may still swap QBs between OTA and training camp if it doesn't work out.

Next up are the voluntary workouts until OTAs. Schedule below. The draft ended 30 April. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/01/kansas-city-chiefs-2022-offseason-workout-program-schedule/

• First Day: April 18.
  • Organized Team Activities Group 1: May 25-26.
  • Organized Team Activities Group 2: May 31-June 2.
  • Organized Team Activities Group 3: June 7-10.
  • Mandatory Minicamp: June 14-16.

Here is the official statement. Link is in the article.

Phase One:

“Phase One consists of the first two weeks of the program with activities limited to meetings, strength and conditioning, and physical rehabilitation only.”

Phase Two:

“Phase Two consists of the next three weeks of the program. On-field workouts may include individual or group instruction and drills, as well as ‘perfect play drills,’ and drills and plays with offensive players lining up across from offensive players and defensive players lining up across from defensive players, conducted at a walk through pace. No live contact or team offense vs. team defense drills are permitted.”

Phase Three: 

“Phase Three consists of the next four weeks of the program. Teams may conduct a total of 10 days of organized team practice activity, or ‘OTAs’. No live contact is permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permitted.”

Does anyone have anything on Dustin Crum? He was retained and Anthony Gordon was released.

Edited by onejayhawk

10 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Chenal gets Mathieu's old number. That's cheeky.

Bolton gets a DB/RB number, and a stried at that. What does it say giving it to a LB?

Boltons going back to his College number so I’m cool with it.

4 hours ago, chiefs82 said:

Boltons going back to his College number so I’m cool with it.

I didn't even put that together that he was 32 at Missouri 🤦

Having said that I'm scared to buy jerseys anymore with so much number switching. I hope Patty doesn't switch up as I bought 3 of his haha

8 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I didn't even put that together that he was 32 at Missouri 🤦

Having said that I'm scared to buy jerseys anymore with so much number switching. I hope Patty doesn't switch up as I bought 3 of his haha

Really? Those Michael Jordan #12 and #45 jerseys are worth a lot. 

• Like 1