Ranking the drafts, 1-32.

Suffering_Bills

• 4 weeks later...

I think the bengals draft is better than you do, and I'm sure that is mostly due to not seeing much of them.  Lou Anarumo wants his defensive players to be multiple.  And who did they take?  A free safety who can play slot or outside corner, a boundary CB who can slide into the box, and a defensive lineman who sets the edge well on run plays and can rush from the interior.  All three sound like they fit what Lou wants, plus when you throw in SS Anderson in the fifth, you have two potential long-term replacements for Bates and Bell, whenever they move on.  Rumor is that they were locked in on one of the punters grabbed in front of them, so they pivoted to their top remaining OG in the fourth.  

I agree that I would have also liked another WR in the mid rounds, but they apparently felt differently.

On 7/1/2022 at 8:47 PM, INbengalfan said:

I think the bengals draft is better than you do, and I'm sure that is mostly due to not seeing much of them.  Lou Anarumo wants his defensive players to be multiple.  And who did they take?  A free safety who can play slot or outside corner, a boundary CB who can slide into the box, and a defensive lineman who sets the edge well on run plays and can rush from the interior.  All three sound like they fit what Lou wants, plus when you throw in SS Anderson in the fifth, you have two potential long-term replacements for Bates and Bell, whenever they move on.  Rumor is that they were locked in on one of the punters grabbed in front of them, so they pivoted to their top remaining OG in the fourth.  

I agree that I would have also liked another WR in the mid rounds, but they apparently felt differently.

Good points. I can never know another team, unlike my Bills, to the same degree that hardcore fans of such do.

All but two teams, Jacksonville and San Francisco, drafted well.  In a normal year Dallas and the Jets would have ruled the roost with A+ efforts.  This year, however, Kansas City and, especially, Baltimore forced the creation of a new elite designation, "A!", to describe their efforts.

On 7/10/2022 at 12:30 AM, Dr A W Niloc said:

All but two teams, Jacksonville and San Francisco, drafted well.  In a normal year Dallas and the Jets would have ruled the roost with A+ efforts.  This year, however, Kansas City and, especially, Baltimore forced the creation of a new elite designation, "A!", to describe their efforts.

Agree with some of what you said.

On 7/9/2022 at 9:30 PM, Dr A W Niloc said:

I like the Travon, Lloyd, and Muma picks for Jax. Well, I don't love Travon where they got him, but I still like the player. 
Good LB's are hard to find these days, and Jags drafted arguably the 2 best off ball LB's in the draft. 
Potential stud pass rusher and LB core is set for the next 10 years. That's an average draft at worse, imo, even if you think they should have done more to help Trevor. That  defensive front 7 obviously disgusted Doug, and he addressed it. Next year he'll sort out the OL and get a WR.

Edited by Jeezla

On 5/4/2022 at 1:01 AM, Suffering_Bills said:

#18. JACKSONVILLE.

Their draft really wasn't all that bad, but I would have liked to see them concentrate on other areas besides linebacker. Travon Walker, last I heard, is being geared up to play that position, but I see him more as a 4-3 end, honestly. Maybe it'll be a hybrid scheme, and at least he's versatile. Him and Josh Allen could certainly bring some heat off the edges. Trading up for Devin Lloyd was an unexpected but worthy move, I'd figure. PROBABLY the best all-around linebacker in the draft, and I'm sure he'll play the inside, as will Chad Muma, their 3rd-round pick at the position. Their other 3rd-rounder, Fortner, the center from Kentucky, was a reach, IMHO. None of their other picks appear to matter much. Kind of a strange team.

Jags were a 3-4 last season(with a Baltimore influence) and this year we have a 3-4(with a bucs influence). i get focusing Walker as an edge this year.  should solidify the run defense day 1(In a division with 2 of the 3 best RBs reside(taylor and Henry).  Lloyd and Muma are likely our Future Starters at ILB in a couple of years(tho i do expect us to run some 3MLB sets because of the talent we have at the position(we also added Former Falcons ILB Foyesade Olokun in FA). arguebly Made that Position from a Weakness into a Strength. 

i get the hate of the Fortner pick but hes likely gonna be our Main Backup C/G along with competing with Ben Bartch and Tyler Shatley to start and hes actually a Scheme fit as he fits the new Zone Blocking scheme the jags brought in. 

the jags 5th round pick at RB Snoop Conner makes alot of sense as both Travis Ettiene and James robinson are coming off injury.  he was also not used as much as he should have been but hes a pretty athletic Power back who showed some solid hands in the camps.  

Gregory Junior and Montaric Brown both add some much needed depth and competition behind our top 3 CBs(Griffin, campbell and williams).  

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 10:24 PM, Jeezla said:

I like the Travon, Lloyd, and Muma picks for Jax. Well, I don't love Travon where they got him, but I still like the player. 
Good LB's are hard to find these days, and Jags drafted arguably the 2 best off ball LB's in the draft. 
Potential stud pass rusher and LB core is set for the next 10 years. That's an average draft at worse, imo, even if you think they should have done more to help Trevor. That  defensive front 7 obviously disgusted Doug, and he addressed it. Next year he'll sort out the OL and get a WR.

part of the problem with the Jags Weapons especially at WR last year was the Horrible Coaching by Sonjay Lal who no longer is there.

Jags dont have that true Alpha WR but they do have a decent collection of number 2/3 types and our arguebly 2nd best wr(treadwell) seems to be wr 4 at best based on the investment on Zay Jones and Christian Kirk along with Marvin Jones still being a Jags wr.   Agnew looked really nice at wr in his limited snaps and provided some explosive plays.   Shenault is the X factor, if he plays like he did rookie year the jgs have a good WR group but if he plays like last year he might find himself traded.  i didnt like the move of tagging Cam robinson(and then extending him) over tagging DJ Chark(and obviously chark wasnt super highly in demand based on his prove it deal.  also added a very interesting Prospect in Kevin Austin whos a RAS superstar in UDFA. 

TE is much improved if people stay Healthy with Evan Engram Dan Arnold as the Primary Pass catchers at the position. Chris Manhertz is a good Blocking TE and Farrell was a solid Rookie TE who did decent.    jags also added a couple of interesting UDFAs in Naz Bohanon(hes a former Basketball guy) and Gerrit Prince

• 3 weeks later...